Why don't more women ride?

bike4life65

Jun 11, 2016
I'm just curious why do you think more women don't road bike?

I think its a GREAT way to get in shape and I lost a lot of weight!!

In our chauvinistic culture, there were no women cyclists in the olden days. And although there are women riders but they still comprise the small minority of about 5% or even less of the riders particularly those in riding groups. From what I see, some women are organizing riding groups of their own and I was even invited. Maybe that is a good start to encourage women into cycling. But what I have in mind are riders like me who bike for leisure only and not those cyclists who join races.

May I connect cycling to martial arts. In the start of its popularity, martial arts fighting is confined to men. But now there are a lot of women fighters in the ring. So women cyclists will also multiply if there are organizations that will spearhead cycling races for women.

Yes, I agree male dominated sport but it "seems" like they want more women to ride but that's just my opinion. I think one was is to lead by example and I try to use my social media to encourage other women to ride. I don't race. I only bike for leisure and exercise. It was more something I wanted to prove I could do.

I think that some women are afraid to ride alone, seeing as how cycling does leave you a bit more exposed than you'd be in a car, for example. Perhaps it's just not that easy to find a riding buddy, or the schedules oppose it to some degree. I guess it all depends on how much you want it and how far you are willing to go by yourself if you had to. I for one, don't ride alone, but always with my husband.

I know lots of female cyclists (edit: should say girls that ride), I think its just not a very female-centric sport. A lot of girls here don't even want to get out of the car to walk inside of starbucks, you think they're just gonna get on a bike and ride for 10 miles? Nope. They spend the money on clothes. You can say I'm being sexist or w/e but come to California for a few days and then tell me I'm wrong ;)

Perhaps, it's an attitude kinda thing. The areas of interest may differ from men to women. I don't know, but cycling is a great way to relax and stay in shape for women. Particularly so, if they select country routes which give them fresh air and enhance their longevity. I wish, more women eventually take to cycling.

I think that this question has many answers. Some women don't ride because they don't have time. Some women don't ride because they are so out of shape they can't get on a bike. Some don't ride because they are afraid of falling off. Some women prefer to do other methods of exercise. Some just prefer not to exercise. While I agree it is fun and a great way to get in shape, I also realize it may not be for everybody.

Even if it's a great way to stay in shape, you also have to understand culture and fear. Some cultures promote it more than others, some cultures form women differently from childhood. Then you have to understand some girls don't even like unlocking their car door while driving, let alone getting on a bike by themselves for 10 miles :)

I think cycling is something that's often thought of as a men's sport, like football, and isn't something that a lot of women even consider trying. Another possibility is that a lot of women have children that they have to look after as well as careers and it's harder for them to find time to get out on a bike. Not everyone would want to bring their children along with them while they're riding. Men, on the other hand, usually don't have to worry about things like this. While their significant other is home with the children, they're able to go and ride. Of course, this is a very generalize statement and wouldn't account for everyone. I just think it contributes to why more women don't ride.

I think a lot of women find cycling uncomfortable. I know a lot of seats can be uncomfortable. I have experienced that as a man. But my girflriend explained to me that a lot of the seats are poorly designed for how women's bodies are and it makes riding an almost painful experience. I can't blame them for avoiding it because of that.

I think a lot of women find cycling uncomfortable. I know a lot of seats can be uncomfortable. I have experienced that as a man. But my girflriend explained to me that a lot of the seats are poorly designed for how women's bodies are and it makes riding an almost painful experience. I can't blame them for avoiding it because of that.
This is a very good point. It would be amazing if there were more women out there designing bikes that were better suited for women. Even a whole line of bikes for women would be awesome!

Most women don't take sporting seriously unless they are sure that they can make money out of it. Others consider cycling as men's sports and that is why they can't ride. I was also thinking how difficult it is for someone with menstruation to cycle. It also takes time for a lady who has given birth to fully heal and get back to cycling.

This is a very good point. It would be amazing if there were more women out there designing bikes that were better suited for women. Even a whole line of bikes for women would be awesome!

I am really surprised that there isn't already a line of bikes directly aimed at women. Maybe, like this thread suggests, there isn't a huge market for it. Like you say, it may take a group of dedicated women to start creating cycles and pushing cycling towards women. Considering the rage that are spin classes right now, it's only a small jump to real cycling.

I am really surprised that there isn't already a line of bikes directly aimed at women. Maybe, like this thread suggests, there isn't a huge market for it. Like you say, it may take a group of dedicated women to start creating cycles and pushing cycling towards women. Considering the rage that are spin classes right now, it's only a small jump to real cycling.
Since spinning classes seem to mostly be geared towards women (at least from what I've seen) I'm surprised that it hasn't already lead to more women looking to get into cycling. After all, riding around in nature is a lot more entertaining than going no where on a stationary bike. But I can also see the benefits of going to a class. The places they're held at usually offer childcare, so that's one less worry for mothers, and it has an instructor who pushes you to keep going even when you want to stop. When you're cycling and want to give up, all you have to do is turn around and go home. There's no one there to keep pushing you, unless you go with someone else.

You all make wonderful points. I think that they are all valid. I know that some companies are doing a lot to close this gap, particularly Trek. They have a full line of women's bikes available, but they know that not every woman is going to want a women's bike. They also offer 3 women's mechanic courses each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must depend on where you ride. I have a Strava segment here in So California that has 2000+ women listed riding it within a 7 mile stretch. That is just one section of a trail, there are several others and I often see groups of women riding on the roads and trails.

I can't buy the "uncomfortable saddle" reason though. My wife had had women specific saddles since 2006 and has found cycling comfort as a non issue. Also good shorts help (women specific Terry brand shorts) She's does 40-60 mile rides most every Saturday and Sunday as well as a few 100 milers. She has saddles by Specialized and Terry. The WSD have been around for years so I don't see that as a reason.

She also has been riding a women specific Trek bike since 2006. Loves it and averaged 3000 miles per year over the last 11 years as a recreational road biker.

Some places aren't really goodplace to do biking especially for women because of the harassment that some encounter especially those in the middle east and some asian countries. Although some women there love to go out and ride their bike they can't because of the judgement of other people in their country.

Part of it is that parents refuse to teach their daughters how to bike when they are younger (which is a lot better than learning how to bike when older), either because they are protective of them or because they were used to an older period in time where younger women aren't allowed to ride their bicycles.

I think the reason why some women don't bike is because biking is not a thing or a trend to women. There are a lot of other stuffs or activities for women out there like dancing (which is more preferable with women since you don't need to spend much as biking) and also women think that biking is not a feminine activity because it does not really make a lady sexy and girly.

I think the reason why some women don't bike is because biking is not a thing or a trend to women. There are a lot of other stuffs or activities for women out there like dancing (which is more preferable with women since you don't need to spend much as biking) and also women think that biking is not a feminine activity because it does not really make a lady sexy and girly.

I agree with the trend particularly for young women. I have seen my nieces who are in their twenties. Their activities are much different than mine maybe because of the age difference. We were in a swimming pool resort last weekend and had a casual talk about activities. They are more engrossed with computer games and night outs. Sport activities are not in their agenda anymore although they go biking with me when we are on a vacation place.