Why don't mountain bikers get it?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. > We DO: they are called "roads". I am quite familiar with transportation activists like you who
    > don't have a clue about wildlife issues.

    Don't have a clue about wildlife issues! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

    You are the single most clueless environmetnalist I have ever heard of ...

  2. Dante Catoni

    Dante Catoni Guest

    > BS. Even ONE mountain bike kills animals and plants and drives wildlife
    out of
    > its habitat.

    Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your consumption. So why don't you stop
    eating so that more animals and plants can live?

    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:19:14 GMT, "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your consumption. So why don't you stop
    >eating so that more animals and plants can live?

    Don't stop there: think of all the damage man-made reservoirs inflict on local ecosystems. Mike
    should stop drinking as well, otherwise he's violating his own principles.

    Guy
    ===

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "SilverTongue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey Mike, you have to be the most arrogant person I've ever seen on the net! Anyone who isn't
    > exactly the same as you, you regard as wrong or stupid. Even me, who seems to be the person
    > closest to agreeing with you on this website, you still slag me off.
    >
    > I know about environmental and wildlife issues, why do you accuse me of being ignorant when you
    > don't know what I know? I've taken environmental science in college, and am going to do
    > environmental earth science in Uni, so I'll know even more then. For my career, I wanna be like a
    > conservationist, glaciologist, or anything to do with environmental issues. Think before judging
    > others as ignorant and lesser than you. I hate humans generally as it is, but don't you show even
    > the slightest slack for them?

    You hate humans as it is? Well, how ironic it is that you are one yourself. From one human to
    another, take some advice and either grown up or give it up. Get a realistic view point and do some
    good with your environmental studies rather than bias everything with your "I hate humans" attitude.
    An attitude like that is going to turn you into one of those ignorant, bullshit tree hugging, money
    and time wasting idiots like Mikey. And we've got too many of them as it is. "I hate humans" - What
    a crock....
    --
    Westie

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "SilverTongue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey Mike, you have to be the most arrogant person I've ever seen on the net! Anyone who isn't
    > > exactly the same as you, you regard as wrong or stupid. Even me, who seems to be the person
    > > closest to agreeing with you on this website, you still slag me off.
    > >
    > > I know about environmental and wildlife issues, why do you accuse me of being ignorant when you
    > > don't know what I know? I've taken environmental science in college, and am going to do
    > > environmental earth science in Uni, so I'll know even more then. For my career, I wanna be like
    > > a conservationist, glaciologist, or anything to do with environmental issues. Think before
    > > judging others as ignorant and lesser than you. I hate humans generally as it is, but don't you
    > > show even the slightest slack for them?
    >

    > You hate humans as it is? Well, how ironic it is that you are one
    yourself.
    > From one human to another, take some advice and either grown up or give it up. Get a realistic
    > view point and do some good with your environmental
    studies
    > rather than bias everything with your "I hate humans" attitude. An attitude like that is going to
    > turn you into one of those ignorant, bullshit tree hugging, money and time wasting idiots like
    > Mikey. And we've got too many of them as it is. "I hate humans" - What a crock....
    > --

    Awww, come on Westie - _everyone_ knows humans suck. Big time.

    Shaun aRe

  6. On 16 Jun 2003 19:00:05 +0950, SilverTongue <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Hey Mike, you have to be the most arrogant person I've ever seen on the .net! Anyone who isn't
    exactly the same as you, you regard as wrong or .stupid. Even me, who seems to be the person closest
    to agreeing with you .on this website, you still slag me off. . .I know about environmental and
    wildlife issues, why do you accuse me of .being ignorant when you don't know what I know?

    I know only what you say here.

    I've taken environmental .science in college, and am going to do environmental earth science in
    .Uni, so I'll know even more then.

    I can't wait.

    For my career, I wanna be like a .conservationist, glaciologist, or anything to do with
    environmental .issues. Think before judging others as ignorant and lesser than you. I .hate humans
    generally as it is, but don't you show even the slightest .slack for them?

    I don't attack people, the way mountain bikers do. I attack only BEHAVOIR.
    ===

  7. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:37:18 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

    I think he has been hanging around mountain bikers too long.

    Well, how ironic it is that you are one yourself. .From one human to another, take some advice and
    either grown up or give it .up. .Get a realistic view point and do some good with your
    environmental studies .rather than bias everything with your "I hate humans" attitude. .An
    attitude like that is going to turn you into one of those ignorant, .bullshit tree hugging, money
    and time wasting idiots like Mikey. .And we've got too many of them as it is. ."I hate humans" -
    What a crock....

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  8. On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 04:26:31 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

    . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> On 16 Jun 2003 05:30:35 +0950, SilverTongue
    .<[email protected]> .> wrote: .> .> .I relate a lot with Mike. I myself am all for
    animal rights, and support .> .Greenpeace and the like. Humans are destroying this world. I mean, .>
    .10mpg??? Fuel consumption like that should be illegal. I detest the .> .American 'gas guzzler'
    culture. I myself have a car, so I can't say I'm .> .no polluter either, but it is kinder at least
    with 45mpg. I ain't a .> .millionaire either, or I'd buy electric or gas cars, or deaisel and .>
    .convert it to run off vegetable oil. But most people in the world with .> .1million would probably
    buy A Dodge Viper, with like 5mpg. .> . .> .But I don't really agree with banning mountain bikes.
    Sure, I'd say at .> .least half the world must be undisturbed, but you've got to have some .> .cycle
    paths. .> .> We DO: they are called "roads". I am quite familiar with transportation .> activists
    like you who don't have a clue about wildlife issues. . .Don't try to talk common sense with Micky
    boy, he is quite mad you know! . .Dashii

    Did you say something?

    ===

  9. On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:59:20 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

    . .> We DO: they are called "roads". I am quite familiar with transportation .> activists like you
    who don't have a clue about wildlife issues. .> . .Don't have a clue about wildlife issues! Talk
    about the pot calling the .kettle black. . .You are the single most clueless environmetnalist I have
    ever heard of ...

    As usual, you conveniently fail to name a single specific. Quote even ONE false statement that I
    have ever made about wildlife! I'm sure that this is the last we will hear of you.
    ===

  10. On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:19:14 GMT, "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .> BS. Even ONE mountain bike kills animals and plants and drives wildlife .out of .> its habitat. .
    .Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your consumption. So .why don't you stop
    eating so that more animals and plants can live?

    After you, hypocrite.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  11. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "SilverTongue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hey Mike, you have to be the most arrogant person I've ever seen on
    the
    > > > net! Anyone who isn't exactly the same as you, you regard as wrong or stupid. Even me, who
    > > > seems to be the person closest to agreeing with
    you
    > > > on this website, you still slag me off.
    > > >
    > > > I know about environmental and wildlife issues, why do you accuse me
    of
    > > > being ignorant when you don't know what I know? I've taken
    environmental
    > > > science in college, and am going to do environmental earth science in Uni, so I'll know even
    > > > more then. For my career, I wanna be like a conservationist, glaciologist, or anything to do
    > > > with environmental issues. Think before judging others as ignorant and lesser than you. I hate
    > > > humans generally as it is, but don't you show even the slightest slack for them?
    > >

    > > You hate humans as it is? Well, how ironic it is that you are one
    > yourself.
    > > From one human to another, take some advice and either grown up or give
    it
    > > up. Get a realistic view point and do some good with your environmental
    > studies
    > > rather than bias everything with your "I hate humans" attitude. An attitude like that is going
    > > to turn you into one of those ignorant, bullshit tree hugging, money and time wasting idiots
    > > like Mikey. And we've got too many of them as it is. "I hate humans" - What a crock....
    > > --
    >
    > Awww, come on Westie - _everyone_ knows humans suck. Big time.
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Yeah, your right, Shaun. I had a g/f once who could've sucked a tennis ball up a garden hose.... ;-)
    Mind you, ignorant Greenies are one of my pet hates. I get along fine with the well informed ones.
    --
    Westie

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > An attitude like that is going to turn you into one of those ignorant, bullshit tree hugging,
    > > > money and time wasting idiots like Mikey. And we've got too many of them as it is. "I hate
    > > > humans" - What a crock....
    > > > --
    > >
    > > Awww, come on Westie - _everyone_ knows humans suck. Big time.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    >

    > Yeah, your right, Shaun. I had a g/f once who could've sucked a tennis ball up a garden
    > hose.... ;-)

    I knew her! ',;~}~

    > Mind you, ignorant Greenies are one of my pet hates. I get along fine
    with
    > the well informed ones.

    Likewise. I'm not into throwing donkeys out of towers either, but hey - I'd happily eat the flesh
    afterward.........

    Shaun aRe - Who cares if it makes any sense?!?

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > I don't attack people, the way mountain bikers do. I attack only

    "BEHAVOIR."

    OooOOOo, 'ark at 'im with 'is fancy French words!!!

    Heheheheh..........

    Shaun aRe

  14. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:59:20 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > . .> We DO: they are called "roads". I am quite familiar with transportation .> activists like you
    > who don't have a clue about wildlife issues. .> . .Don't have a clue about wildlife issues! Talk
    > about the pot calling the .kettle black. . .You are the single most clueless environmetnalist I
    > have ever heard of
    >
    > As usual, you conveniently fail to name a single specific. Quote even ONE
    false
    > statement that I have ever made about wildlife! I'm sure that this is the
    last
    > we will hear of you.

    How about the BIG lie below? <G>

    Dashii

    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  15. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:19:14 GMT, "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > .> BS. Even ONE mountain bike kills animals and plants and drives wildlife .out of .> its habitat.
    > . .Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your consumption.
    So
    > .why don't you stop eating so that more animals and plants can live?
    >
    > After you, hypocrite.

    My, my, my, what an clever come back!

    Mike (I eat only road kill) Vandeman

    Dashii

    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  16. Dante Catoni

    Dante Catoni Guest

    > .Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your consumption.
    So
    > .why don't you stop eating so that more animals and plants can live?
    >
    > After you, hypocrite.

    How am I a hypocrite? This time try to come up with a big boy answer instead of calling names with
    no foundation.

    Dante

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:06:16 GMT, Mike Vandeman <m[email protected]> wrote:

    >.Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your consumption. So .why don't you stop
    >eating so that more animals and plants can live?

    >After you, hypocrite. I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure
    >habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
    >construction.)

    Your .sig marks you as the hypocrite, obviously. You lose. Again.

    Guy
    ===

  18. "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:59:20 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > . .> We DO: they are called "roads". I am quite familiar with transportation .> activists like you
    > who don't have a clue about wildlife issues. .> . .Don't have a clue about wildlife issues! Talk
    > about the pot calling the .kettle black. . .You are the single most clueless environmetnalist I
    > have ever heard of
    >
    > As usual, you conveniently fail to name a single specific. Quote even ONE
    false
    > statement that I have ever made about wildlife! I'm sure that this is the
    last
    > we will hear of you.
    > ===

    I have 35 years of experience visiting the areas that you would close to me in the name of habitat
    protection, and I can say from first hand experience that in at least one instance the closures
    people like you have won resulted in an increased burden on the very animals you sought to protect.
    You have never made a true statement about wildlife, I can't begin to catalog the false statements.

  19. Flatlander

    Flatlander Guest

    Mike-

    IMHO the major thing you are overlooking in your environmental quest is that mt. bikers play a major
    role in keeping development and urban sprawl from invading "natural habitat." I'll agree that a
    single-track trail running through a forest is not pristine. But it is infinitely preferable to
    having that same stretch of forest paved over for a mega-mall or parking lot. The fact is that yes,
    mt. bikes cause the land they ride on to be altered. However, that land then becomes a part of that
    biker and the mt. biking community in general. Most mt. bikers, as you have seen, will fight to the
    death to protect that part of their community. A few miles of single-track running through forest is
    vastly better that that same strech of forest being leveled and turned into a strip-mall. I think
    even you can agree to that. I can hear your response now... "but there shouldn't be trails OR a
    strip mall." The fact is that in order to protect something you need people who believe in it. If
    you take all humans out of the forest, than there will be nobody in the future who values it, and
    thus none to protect it. Put it this way. Say you get your way and nobody is allowed to ever go into
    any wilderness area. Look one or two generations down the road. What motivation will people who have
    never experienced the wilderness, wildlife, or the peace and sense of awe that it can inspire, have
    to keep that land protected? None.

    -FlatLander

  20. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "flatlander" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike-
    >
    > IMHO the major thing you are overlooking in your environmental quest is that mt. bikers play a
    > major role in keeping development and urban sprawl from invading "natural habitat."

    Mikey has no "environmental quest". Much like the mother that abuses her children in an effort to
    get attention for herself, Mikey abuses enviornmental issues in his quest for infamy.

    He is quite mad you know!

    Dashii