Why don't mountain bikers get it?



Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Westie

Guest
"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 10 Jun 2003 11:07:16 -0700, [email protected] (MotorPsycho) wrote:
>
> .Passing laws to save the wilderness/environment/wetland/habitat (plug .in your favorite cause
> here) misses the real issue. . .When one cave man urinates in a stream, there is no problem. When
> X .billion humans dump their waste in the rivers, it's a problem. . .China has figured out the
> real problem. We may dislike their .solution, but at least they are addressing the issue. We've
> still got .our heads burried in the sand. Everywhere you look there are warning .signs, so no one
> looks anymore. . .It's not the fact that there are bikes in the woods, it's the fact .that there
> are a lot of bikes in the woods and more every day.
>
> BS. Even ONE mountain bike kills animals and plants and drives wildlife
out of
> its habitat.
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Had a great weekend. Shot two nice Stags Sunday night and didn't even use the mtb bike to drag
them out. Just popped the 4WD into, um, 4WD and laid waste to a couple of square metres of
virgin pasture.
--
Westie I am working on destroying cow habitat that is off-limits to deer ("bovine habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting nicotine dependence and beer-gut construction.
 
M

Mike Vandeman

Guest
On 20 Jun 2003 14:00:38 -0700, [email protected] (flatlander) wrote:

.Mike- . .IMHO the major thing you are overlooking in your environmental quest .is that mt. bikers
play a major role in keeping development and urban .sprawl from invading "natural habitat."

You've got to be kidding. They have about as much intellectual weight as a flea. "Why don't you want
this land to be developed?" "Because I want to ride my bikey there."

Yeah, really persuasive! Not.

I'll agree that a .single-track trail running through a forest is not pristine. But it .is
infinitely preferable to having that same stretch of forest paved .over for a mega-mall or
parking lot.

Those aren't the only choices, dumdum.

The fact is that yes, mt. bikes .cause the land they ride on to be altered. However, that land
then .becomes a part of that biker and the mt. biking community in general. .Most mt. bikers, as
you have seen, will fight to the death to protect .that part of their community.

Nonsense. I spent 8 years working on stopping highway construction. NOT ONE mountain biker ever
showed up at any of those hearings, nor wrote comments. You are LYING, plain and simple.

A few miles of single-track running .through forest is vastly better that that same strech of
forest being .leveled and turned into a strip-mall. I think even you can agree to .that. I can
hear your response now... "but there shouldn't be trails .OR a strip mall." The fact is that in
order to protect something you .need people who believe in it. If you take all humans out of the
.forest, than there will be nobody in the future who values it, and .thus none to protect it.

There are plenty of less selfish people to protect land. Mountain bikers can't.

Put it this way. Say you get your way and .nobody is allowed to ever go into any wilderness area.
Look one or .two generations down the road. What motivation will people who have .never experienced
the wilderness, wildlife, or the peace and sense of .awe that it can inspire, have to keep that
land protected? None.

Spoken like a true selfish mountain biker. OTHER people DO work to protect land that they will never
even see, much less enter.

.-FlatLander

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 
M

Mike Vandeman

Guest
On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:24:37 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."flatlander" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> Mike- .> .> IMHO the major thing you are
overlooking in your environmental quest .> is that mt. bikers play a major role in keeping
development and urban .> sprawl from invading "natural habitat." . .Mikey has no "environmental
quest". Much like the mother that abuses her .children in an effort to get attention for herself,
Mikey abuses .enviornmental issues in his quest for infamy. . .He is quite mad you know! . .Dashii

Did you say something?
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 
M

Mike Vandeman

Guest
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:26:04 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:eek:[email protected]... .> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:59:20 -0700, "Jeff
Strickland" <[email protected]> .wrote: .> .> . .> .> We DO: they are called "roads". I am quite
familiar with transportation .> .> activists like you who don't have a clue about wildlife issues.
.> .> .> . .> .Don't have a clue about wildlife issues! Talk about the pot calling the .> .kettle
black. .> . .> .You are the single most clueless environmetnalist I have ever heard of .... .> .> As
usual, you conveniently fail to name a single specific. Quote even ONE .false .> statement that I
have ever made about wildlife! I'm sure that this is the .last .> we will hear of you. . .How about
the BIG lie below? <G>

I don't see any lie. Where is it?

.Dashii . .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure
habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 
M

Mike Vandeman

Guest
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:05:52 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:eek:[email protected]... .> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:59:20 -0700, "Jeff
Strickland" <[email protected]> .wrote: .> .> . .> .> We DO: they are called "roads". I am quite
familiar with transportation .> .> activists like you who don't have a clue about wildlife issues.
.> .> .> . .> .Don't have a clue about wildlife issues! Talk about the pot calling the .> .kettle
black. .> . .> .You are the single most clueless environmetnalist I have ever heard of .... .> .> As
usual, you conveniently fail to name a single specific. Quote even ONE .false .> statement that I
have ever made about wildlife! I'm sure that this is the .last .> we will hear of you. .> === . .I
have 35 years of experience visiting the areas that you would close to me .in the name of habitat
protection, and I can say from first hand experience .that in at least one instance the closures
people like you have won resulted .in an increased burden on the very animals you sought to protect.
You have .never made a true statement about wildlife, I can't begin to catalog the .false
statements.

Then you should have no trouble quoting at least ONE false statement. We are waiting.... :)
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 
M

Mike Vandeman

Guest
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:58:06 GMT, "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote:

.> .Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your consumption. .So .> .why don't you
stop eating so that more animals and plants can live? .> .> After you, hypocrite. . .How am I a
hypocrite?

Look it up in the dictionary.

This time try to come up with a big boy answer instead .of calling names with no foundation.
. .Dante .

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 
C

Chip3130

Guest
Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> There are plenty of less selfish people to protect land. Mountain bikers can't.
>
> Put it this way. Say you get your way and .nobody is allowed to ever go into any wilderness area.
> Look one or .two generations down the road. What motivation will people who have .never
> experienced the wilderness, wildlife, or the peace and sense of .awe that it can inspire, have to
> keep that land protected? None.

After following this thread for awhile, I have had to laugh. A couple of things come to mind:

1) No matter how well meaning Mr. Vandeman is, the fact will remain that his quest to stop
habitation and use will fail. Why? Because he does not own the land that he wishes to keep from
everyone else. Never has worked, and never will. We hardly have enough law enforcement personel
in this country to deal with the rapes, homicides, thefts, and assualts that take place every
minute. To staff an area hundreds of square miles wide to look for "users of the land," is like
trying to keep illegal aliens out of the US from Mexico. You can try, but 97% will get through no
matter what.

2) Just because you have your Doctorate and have published volumes of text doesn't mean you are
overly intelligent.

My .02 cents....
 
D

Dashi Toshii

Guest
"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:58:06 GMT, "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> .> .Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your
consumption.
> .So .> .why don't you stop eating so that more animals and plants can live? .> .> After you,
> hypocrite. . .How am I a hypocrite?
>
> Look it up in the dictionary.

Mikey only eats road kill and weeds!

He is quite mad you know!

Dashii
 
M

Mike Vandeman

Guest
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:19:24 GMT, chip3130 <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in .news:[email protected]: . .>
There are plenty of less selfish people to protect land. Mountain .> bikers can't. .> .> Put it this
way. Say you get your way and .> .nobody is allowed to ever go into any wilderness area. Look one or
.> .two generations down the road. What motivation will people who have .> .never experienced the
wilderness, wildlife, or the peace and sense of .> .awe that it can inspire, have to keep that land
protected? None. . . .After following this thread for awhile, I have had to laugh. A couple of
.things come to mind: . .1) No matter how well meaning Mr. Vandeman is, the fact will remain that
.his quest to stop habitation and use will fail. Why? Because he does not .own the land that he
wishes to keep from everyone else. Never has worked, .and never will. We hardly have enough law
enforcement personel in this .country to deal with the rapes, homicides, thefts, and assualts that
take .place every minute. To staff an area hundreds of square miles wide to look .for "users of the
land," is like trying to keep illegal aliens out of the .US from Mexico. You can try, but 97% will
get through no matter what.

Who said anything about "staff"?! Idiot.

.2) Just because you have your Doctorate and have published volumes of text .doesn't mean you are
overly intelligent.

I never said it does. But you can judge by my writing.

.My .02 cents....

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 
C

Chip3130

Guest
Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in

> To staff an area hundreds of square miles wide to look .for "users of the land," is like trying
> to keep illegal aliens out of the .US from Mexico. You can try, but 97% will get through no
> matter what.
>
> Who said anything about "staff"?! Idiot.

Mike, really, how do you propose to stop people from using land? Anti- personel mines or something?
You will never be able to fill this grandoise idea. I hate to tell you this, but man has walked the
earth since his inception, and nobody (or grounps of nobodies) will ever stop that.

> I never said it does. But you can judge by my writing.

I know you didn't, and yes, we can judege that by your illogical writing. Thus my point. Thanks for
playing advocate though.
 

Twisties

New Member
Apr 7, 2003
145
0
0
33
Who said anything about "staff"?! Idiot.

why do u think that you can come onto this site, which is all about cycling, and call one of our members an idiot.

did you expect everyone to agree with you???

The computer you are using rite now, is it not running on electricity? Hold on? doesnt most electricity come from burning coal? Yes i am aware of Hydro, Solar, Wind, etc.
So anyway, what happens when you burn stuff? You get smoke...
where does the smoke go? up into the atmosphere to join the other gases making the whole in the ozone layer which is above my beloved country.

So maybe you should start your protest by turning of all the lights off in your house, dont bother using gas ovens etc, its also bad for the environment.

Why patronise people who are trying to make the world a better place by replacing their car for a bike as their mode of transportation. All this means is they have to leave earlier. they have to deal with other road users yelling at them or trying to scare them while they are in their cars.

i know that you said mountain bikes, but at least mountain bikes dont need the council to put down concrete paths so that their ride is easier, and wouldnt walking create the same if not more damage to the environment.

2 bike tyres : 4cm each = 8cm of damage
2 human feet: 10cm each= 20cm of dmage.


U r an idiot
 
S

Stephen Baker

Guest
Twisties says:

>why do u think that you can come onto this site, which is all about cycling, and call one of our
>members an idiot.
>

Twisties, you're showing your age....... MV has been calling us idiots for years, quite literally,
and that is the mildest of his descriptions. Do a google search on his postings to this group, if
you have a couple of days to spare on a high-speed connection.

Steve
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:08:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

[Dashii said:]
>.He is quite mad you know!

[to which Mike replied:]
>Did you say something?

Thus giving further credence to those who assert that his PhD is as much a figment of his
imagination as his environmental crusade, and that he never actually graduated kindergarten.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.
 
D

Dashi Toshii

Guest
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:08:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [Dashii said:]
> >.He is quite mad you know!
>
> [to which Mike replied:]
> >Did you say something?
>
> Thus giving further credence to those who assert that his PhD is as much a figment of his
> imagination as his environmental crusade, and that he never actually graduated kindergarten.
>
> Guy

Actually PhD diploma mills abound on the internet, for a few bucks anyone, even Mickey, can buy
their "degree"!

Here is one report on the practice:

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/Nonrecorg/bernadean.html

Dashii
 
J

Jeff Strickland

Guest
"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:05:52 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .news:eek:[email protected]... .> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:59:20 -0700, "Jeff
> Strickland" <[email protected]> .wrote: .> .> . .> .> We DO: they are called "roads". I am quite
> familiar with
transportation
> .> .> activists like you who don't have a clue about wildlife issues. .> .> .> . .> .Don't have a
> clue about wildlife issues! Talk about the pot calling
the
> .> .kettle black. .> . .> .You are the single most clueless environmetnalist I have ever heard of
> .... .> .> As usual, you conveniently fail to name a single specific. Quote even
ONE
> .false .> statement that I have ever made about wildlife! I'm sure that this is
the
> .last .> we will hear of you. .> === . .I have 35 years of experience visiting the areas that you
> would close to
me
> .in the name of habitat protection, and I can say from first hand
experience
> .that in at least one instance the closures people like you have won
resulted
> .in an increased burden on the very animals you sought to protect. You
have
> .never made a true statement about wildlife, I can't begin to catalog the .false statements.
>
> Then you should have no trouble quoting at least ONE false statement. We
are
> waiting.... :)

"All bicycle riders are environemtneal rapests." That, admitteldy, might not be a direct quote, but
it should suffice as an example of your lies and falsehoods.

> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 
P

*Plonk*

Guest
I finally understand you. You must be Derek Smart, PhD and all. Don't lie about it either, only Mt.
Bikers lie.

*plonk*

"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:19:14 GMT, "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> .> BS. Even ONE mountain bike kills animals and plants and drives wildlife .out of .> its habitat.
> . .Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your consumption.
So
> .why don't you stop eating so that more animals and plants can live?
>
> After you, hypocrite.
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
 
D

Danny

Guest
LMAO... I remember Derek (not so) Smart from the gaming forums years ago.. What a complete
********.. The first trip in here where I came across Vandeman, that's the first thing I thought..
but then I thought, naaahhhhh.. gotta be his twin.

Danny

"*plonk*" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I finally understand you. You must be Derek Smart, PhD and all. Don't
lie
> about it either, only Mt. Bikers lie.
>
> *plonk*
>
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:19:14 GMT, "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >
> > .> BS. Even ONE mountain bike kills animals and plants and drives
wildlife
> > .out of .> its habitat. . .Mike almost everything you eat was alive and killed for your
consumption.
> So
> > .why don't you stop eating so that more animals and plants can live?
> >
> > After you, hypocrite.
> > ===
> > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
> >
> > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
 
C

Chris Phillipo

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:08:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > [Dashii said:]
> > >.He is quite mad you know!
> >
> > [to which Mike replied:]
> > >Did you say something?
> >
> > Thus giving further credence to those who assert that his PhD is as much a figment of his
> > imagination as his environmental crusade, and that he never actually graduated kindergarten.
> >
> > Guy
>
> Actually PhD diploma mills abound on the internet, for a few bucks anyone, even Mickey, can buy
> their "degree"!
>
> Here is one report on the practice:
>
> http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/Nonrecorg/bernadean.html
>
> Dashii
>
>
>

I'm pretty sure he went the expensive/time consuming route of getting the most useless and
irrelevant degree they had kicking around.
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:14:26 -0300, Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm pretty sure he went the expensive/time consuming route of getting the most useless and
>irrelevant degree they had kicking around.

It seems almost appropriate, given that he's a useless irrelevant timewaster :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.
 
T

The Ogre

Guest
Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I never said it does. But you can judge by my writing.

Oh yes and many have judged by your writing. In fact in May 1998 you won an award for your inspired
literary style:

http://www.lart.com/auk/whiners.html (May 1998 Usenet Kook of the Month and Unabomber Surprise)

Then just recently your writing got lots of attention from your friends in the sierra club when they
banned you from holding leadership in the Sierra Club for Breach of Leadership Trust (they even have
an acronym "BoLT") http://www.sierraclub.org/bod/minutes/2003/me20030307.pdf

Seeing as how well others have judged you my opinion would just be a footnote.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net
 
Status
Not open for further replies.