Why don't Roadies have bells on their bikes

Unregistered wrote:

> "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
> >
> > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
> >

> Because it looks pathetic.....and every gram of weight counts.

Then go on a diet and stick the bell on your bike.

Tamyka Bell said:
Unregistered wrote:

> "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> > Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
> >
> > So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????
> >

> Because it looks pathetic.....and every gram of weight counts.

Then go on a diet and stick the bell on your bike.

No self respecting cyclist has one on there bike as they are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Your voice is louder and able to convey more information.

news:[email protected]...

What a ****wit.... LOL.

PiledHigher wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Unregistered wrote:
> > >
> > > "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Because it looks pathetic.....and every gram of weight counts.

> > Then go on a diet and stick the bell on your bike.

> No self respecting cyclist has one on there bike as they are as useful
> as a chocolate teapot.
>
> Your voice is louder and able to convey more information.
>
> --
> PiledHigher

Yep, but the cops on coro drive will still fine you if you don't have a
bell. So, I've got one. I don't use it, but it's there. I occasionally
ding it as I pass them fining someone else for no bell or no helmet.
Surely no self-respecting cyclist would commute on their racing bike?

-Not a self-respecting cyclist anyway. I save the respect for other
cyclists

PiledHigher wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Unregistered wrote:
> > >
> > > "40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Because it looks pathetic.....and every gram of weight counts.

> > Then go on a diet and stick the bell on your bike.

> No self respecting cyclist has one on there bike as they are as useful
> as a chocolate teapot.
>
> Your voice is louder and able to convey more information.
>
> --
> PiledHigher

Oh yeah, and where do you get off having a VALID argument for not having
a bell? What, you don't have it because you wouldn't use it... can't you
at least say because it's so massively not aero or it weighs too much or
it upsets the balance on your steering? What's with a valid argument on
usenet? I thought that didn't happen! :)

Really, who can argue that a gram of weight on a bike makes a difference
when your bodymass fluctuates at least a kilo per day anyway.

Comment came up on weekend ride when we saw a woman with a really,
really expensive bike and a really, really bad fit: all the gear, no
idea.

So true. One of my mates just bought a really expensive trek and boasted
to me about how light it was. Thing is, he's 100kg and I'm 60kg. Is the
bike weight going to make a significant difference? I thought maybe he
should get back to his healthy 80kg instead of spending $5000 on a new
bike...

my race bike had a white front reflector on a solid mount when I took it for a test ride.
When I got it for real, that had gone. It never had a bell.

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PiledHigher wrote:
> >
> > Tamyka Bell Wrote:

> > > Then go on a diet and stick the bell on your bike.

> > No self respecting cyclist has one on there bike as they are as useful
> > as a chocolate teapot.
> >
> > Your voice is louder and able to convey more information.
> >
> > --
> > PiledHigher

> Oh yeah, and where do you get off having a VALID argument for not having
> a bell? What, you don't have it because you wouldn't use it... can't you
> at least say because it's so massively not aero or it weighs too much or
> it upsets the balance on your steering? What's with a valid argument on
> usenet? I thought that didn't happen! :)
>
> Really, who can argue that a gram of weight on a bike makes a difference
> when your bodymass fluctuates at least a kilo per day anyway.
>
> Comment came up on weekend ride when we saw a woman with a really,
> really expensive bike and a really, really bad fit: all the gear, no
> idea.
>
> So true. One of my mates just bought a really expensive trek and boasted
> to me about how light it was. Thing is, he's 100kg and I'm 60kg. Is the
> bike weight going to make a significant difference? I thought maybe he
> should get back to his healthy 80kg instead of spending $5000 on a new
> bike...

Hey.....what's wrong with weighing 100kg?? Just means I can go faster up
hills........you must have heard that one from the PTIs during a route march
up hill that goes "lean into it and let the hill do the work".

But seriously.....we all know that Work = mgh (ie. mass x gravitational
force x height) so if I want to gain say 100m of elevation I need to do
approx W = 115kg x 9.8m/s^2 x 100 = 112.7 kJ of work (taking bike, clothes,
waterbottle to weigh approx 15kg). I actually need to do more work than
this as I need to overcome frictional losses in the drivetrain, hubs, tyres,
etc as well as air resistance (which goes up in proportion to the speed
squared).

I can work out required power by dividing by the time taken to do it.

So if it takes me 5 minutes, then I need to put out 112700/300 = 375.66
Watts = approx 0.5hp. (1 hp = 746W)

So if I want to climb 100m in 5 minutes then I only need to be putting out
as much power as half a horse......"Heyyyyy thereeee Willlbuurrrr......."

Ride On,

Gags (Who can remember something from physics if he tries really hard)

DaveB wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 at 08:43 GMT, NickZX6R (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>> Last time I looked, left turn signals were optional and right
>>> signals weren't.

>> That was my understanding.
>>

> Squelch (the sound of me falling on my sword). I stand corrected (and
> checked on vicroads site). Seems crazy to me though. There are a couple
> of right-turns on my way home and there is no way known I'm taking my
> hands off the bars and brakes at those spots, especially the downhill
> ones. Oh well add that to the list of illegalities on my commute.
>
> DaveB

I almost always roll through stop signs when no traffic is obstructing
my path, stopping seems to be a gross overkill to the multitude of stop
signs placed, often 100m apart, in the suburban route I take.

Not pleasant to think you are breaking the law which should have been
put in place for a genuine reason, am I sensible? am I doing the right
thing? should people think for themselves in these situations?

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:38:28 +1000, Shabby wrote:

> And the bike cops can't catch us on their MTB's.

Next time your see one, see if they've got a bell.

I guess they'd argue that the siren was their
'audible warning device'.

-kt

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:54:55 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:

> I think the reality is that roadies think it's way too much hassle to
> put the bell on to ride to the race, then take the bell off to race,
> then put it back on to ride home.

Yeah, but that might be a good tactic for fighting
your way through the bunch. If you rang your bell,
without thinking they'd move over from all that
training on bike paths, it'd be a reflex action.

The leader of the bunch would shake his head as
you glided by accelerating... "Wish I'd thought of that".

-kt

kingsley wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:54:55 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > I think the reality is that roadies think it's way too much hassle to
> > put the bell on to ride to the race, then take the bell off to race,
> > then put it back on to ride home.

> Yeah, but that might be a good tactic for fighting
> your way through the bunch. If you rang your bell,
> without thinking they'd move over from all that
> training on bike paths, it'd be a reflex action.
>
> The leader of the bunch would shake his head as
> you glided by accelerating... "Wish I'd thought of that".
>
> -kt

Let me know how that one works out for you :)

Gags wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > PiledHigher wrote:

> > > No self respecting cyclist has one on there bike as they are as useful
> > > as a chocolate teapot.
> > >
> > > Your voice is louder and able to convey more information.
> > >
> > > --
> > > PiledHigher

> > Oh yeah, and where do you get off having a VALID argument for not having
> > a bell? What, you don't have it because you wouldn't use it... can't you
> > at least say because it's so massively not aero or it weighs too much or
> > it upsets the balance on your steering? What's with a valid argument on
> > usenet? I thought that didn't happen! :)
> >
> > Really, who can argue that a gram of weight on a bike makes a difference
> > when your bodymass fluctuates at least a kilo per day anyway.
> >
> > Comment came up on weekend ride when we saw a woman with a really,
> > really expensive bike and a really, really bad fit: all the gear, no
> > idea.
> >
> > So true. One of my mates just bought a really expensive trek and boasted
> > to me about how light it was. Thing is, he's 100kg and I'm 60kg. Is the
> > bike weight going to make a significant difference? I thought maybe he
> > should get back to his healthy 80kg instead of spending $5000 on a new
> > bike...

> Hey.....what's wrong with weighing 100kg?? Just means I can go faster up
> hills........you must have heard that one from the PTIs during a route march
> up hill that goes "lean into it and let the hill do the work".

<snip>

Yep, also when you're running up a hill that they call "heartbreak" for
a good reason. I think they are telling us that if you lean close enough
to the hill you get interesting gravity effects. Do you reckon I could
do my thesis on this? It would only take a week or so.

> But seriously.....we all know that Work = mgh (ie. mass x gravitational
> force x height) so if I want to gain say 100m of elevation I need to do
> approx W = 115kg x 9.8m/s^2 x 100 = 112.7 kJ of work (taking bike, clothes,
> waterbottle to weigh approx 15kg). I actually need to do more work than
> this as I need to overcome frictional losses in the drivetrain, hubs, tyres,
> etc as well as air resistance (which goes up in proportion to the speed
> squared).

<etc., snip>

I ignored this because it lacked a Hamiltonian, but I'm getting scared
by the number of physics geeks that appear to be popping out of the
aus.bicycle woodwork here...

Marty Wallace said:
"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:p[email protected]...

> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > roadies are far less likely to be riding on shared paths, and besides
> > they dont make a bell in carbon fibre :)

> I've got the Carbon fibre shelled bell with the drilled titanium dinger
> inside it. beautiful piece of engineering, especially when you can buy
> the bell-enhanced Ergolever that has a little button for activation of
> the bell without taking your hands off the hoods. problem is that the
> bell doesn't make any noise:)
>

> --
> ProfTournesol

Is that the standard round bell or is it the tear drop shaped one with the
golf ball type dimples?

Marty

tear drop of course, that was an extra $200 though. It makes the bike go so fast that I've added a Gurney flap for extra downforce around corners.

"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]
> > Marty wrote:
> > Is that the standard round bell or is it the tear drop shaped one with
> > the golf ball type dimples?

> tear drop of course, that was an extra $200 though. It makes the bike
> go so fast that I've added a Gurney flap for extra downforce around
> corners.

I hope it is not just an aero bell and provides some
protection in a crash. You know that aero bells
were banned unless they passed UCI Bell Impact
Safety tests?

hippy

hippy said:
"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]
> > Marty wrote:
> > Is that the standard round bell or is it the tear drop shaped one with
> > the golf ball type dimples?

> tear drop of course, that was an extra $200 though. It makes the bike
> go so fast that I've added a Gurney flap for extra downforce around
> corners.

I hope it is not just an aero bell and provides some
protection in a crash. You know that aero bells
were banned unless they passed UCI Bell Impact
Safety tests?

hippy

optional airbag:)

I do have bells on all my road bikes except the the one that I actually
road-race. And even there, when I was a youngster road racing in Western
Australia many years ago, we were obliged to have a bell on our racing
bikes - no bell, no start in a race. We used to buy lightweight bells, drill
holes in them until they were more hole than bell, and mount them under the
saddle (usually a Brooks in those days).

Nick

"40ish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that I have never seen a roadie have a bell on his bike.
> Everyone else has them to warn pedestrians.
>
> So why is it that Road bikes are excempt from this ????

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 at 21:36 GMT, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> I ignored this because it lacked a Hamiltonian, but I'm getting scared
> by the number of physics geeks that appear to be popping out of the
> aus.bicycle woodwork here...

Half our department cycle. I could get them all to SUBSCIRBE!!11! uh,
sorry, subscribe.

> Bugger you guys.
> The babelfish is idempotent on the set above.

I'm afraid that isn't a very good pickup line either, Tim. - MaryG