Why fat tires?

n5hsr wrote:
> "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote

>>I don't know what age you are, but our bicycling group has an entire
>>section with people in their 70's who ride 3 days a week. One guy is 82
>>and another is 80....you might be suprised who rides if you contacted a
>>bike club in your area.

> I'm only 48, but I shattered my acetabulum 3 years ago. Do you know Will,
> K9FO? He's supposedly done several 'centuries'.

FWIW, there are a couple of guys in my cycling club with replacement
hips. One had surgery in January and completed a Boston-Montreal-Boston
event (3-days, 750 miles) the following August. The other guy had both
hips replaced and also resumed long-distance riding the same year. Yet
another had a knee replaced and has resumed riding.

In article <[email protected]>,
Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:

>> Although I had to learn how to ride on bikes with rear-only brakes . . .
>> Back braking without front braking is a lot easier to control than front
>> braking with no way of controlling what the rear is doing . . . .

> The only problem with rear-only braking is actually stopping in time.
> See Sheldon Brown's article on bike braking for a brief description of
> the physics involved.

Might as well put up the URL so any lurkers can have a look too:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> n5hsr wrote:
>> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>On a bicycle, the front brake is the only important brake (the rear only
>>>there for redundancy, typically). At the limit of braking, there is
>>>minimal weight on the rear tire, so it is ineffective for braking. When
>>>the rear wheel is completely unweighted, there is nothing to prevent the
>>>onset of spin.

>> Although I had to learn how to ride on bikes with rear-only brakes . . .
>> Back braking without front braking is a lot easier to control than front
>> braking with no way of controlling what the rear is doing . . . .

> The only problem with rear-only braking is actually stopping in time. See
> Sheldon Brown's article on bike braking for a brief description of the
> physics involved.

I know, but when one has rear-only braking one has use what one has . . . .
Do they even sell bikes with coaster brakes anymore?

Charles of Schaumburg

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> n5hsr wrote:
>> "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>I don't know what age you are, but our bicycling group has an entire
>>>section with people in their 70's who ride 3 days a week. One guy is 82
>>>and another is 80....you might be suprised who rides if you contacted a
>>>bike club in your area.

>> I'm only 48, but I shattered my acetabulum 3 years ago. Do you know
>> Will, K9FO? He's supposedly done several 'centuries'.

> FWIW, there are a couple of guys in my cycling club with replacement hips.
> One had surgery in January and completed a Boston-Montreal-Boston event
> (3-days, 750 miles) the following August. The other guy had both hips
> replaced and also resumed long-distance riding the same year. Yet another
> had a knee replaced and has resumed riding.

They didn't bother to replace my hip, they just put me in traction for 5
weeks. . . .

Charles of Schaumburg

On 2006-02-04, gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:

> The mountain bike craze of the 90s means there are lots of knobby -tired
> bikes out there. Most of them are being used on-road, which is a case of
> style over substance.

Fat-tired, knobby bikes on the street aren't new, at least for kids.
The BMX boom of the '70s/'80s put us on knobbies on pavement. That's
how/when I learned to ride...ride on the street, then find a
construction site where they'd just dug the hole for a foundation...then
ride that.

Man. I used to be much much more reckless....

-Luigi

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-02-04, gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> The mountain bike craze of the 90s means there are lots of knobby -tired
>> bikes out there. Most of them are being used on-road, which is a case of
>> style over substance.

> Fat-tired, knobby bikes on the street aren't new, at least for kids.
> The BMX boom of the '70s/'80s put us on knobbies on pavement. That's
> how/when I learned to ride...ride on the street, then find a
> construction site where they'd just dug the hole for a foundation...then
> ride that.
>
> Man. I used to be much much more reckless....
>
> -Luigi

I learned to ride on lightweights with coaster brakes back in the '60's. I
guess it's what one is used to.

Charles of Schaumburg.