Why GB Lost Team Pursuit?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve McGinty, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. "Gear on bike blamed for Steel's 'off day' at Worlds

    An extensive review of the video footage from the recent World Track Championships, revealed that
    Bryan Steel, dropped after just 1.5km of racing in the final of the team pursuit event, had in fact
    been given the wrong gear....

    ...Normally, Bryan would ride a gear of around 100 inches but the one in Stuttgart was probably
    about 93 inches"

    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/news/2003/gb_news/08_bryan_steel.shtml

    Regards! Stephen

    Tags:

  2. Carl Sundquist

    Carl Sundquist New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003
    Call me a crotchety old bastard, but I find it incredible that no one bothered to check the cog/chainring after Steel dropped out or in between rounds for that matter. It was drummed into us time after time, "You (the rider) are responsible for making sure your equipment is right." That included gearing and making sure all fasteners were properly tightened.

    More likely, it was the concurrent lack of pedal synchronisation between the riders that must have caused the calamity.

  3. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
    <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote:

    > "Gear on bike blamed for Steel's 'off day' at Worlds
    >
    > An extensive review of the video footage from the recent World Track Championships, revealed that
    > Bryan Steel, dropped after just 1.5km of racing in the final of the team pursuit event, had in
    > fact been given the wrong gear....
    >
    > ...Normally, Bryan would ride a gear of around 100 inches but the one in Stuttgart was probably
    > about 93 inches"

    Is their mechanic named David Millar?

    -WG

  4. Lasalles

    Lasalles New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2003
    I thought it was because they werent fast enough to beat the Aussie team of Brown/Roberts/Dawson/Lancaster and not to mention we didnt have Brad McGee.Its unfortunate one of the GB guys had the wrong gear but they would have still had to smash the world record.

  5. rickt

    rickt New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2003
    I think Chris Boardman said it best, and those among you in denial can make up your own mind from this,
    "When asked about the possible loss of a medal as a result of the incident, Chris clearly did not think this was the case. "The reality is that the team were likely to finish second anyway... but by a much smaller margin, probably in the region of a second,." So for those of you claiming that this error (which, by the way, is all part of the team aspect of the event) caused the loss of the gold medal. I believe that you really need to GET A GRIP. That is not to say that your team won't improve enough to win at the Olympics. I agree with Mr. Boardman that your team has come an awful long way. I just HOPE that we can beat you again.

  6. "rickt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I think Chris Boardman said it best, and those among you in denial can make up your own mind from
    > this, "When asked about the possible loss of a medal as a result of the incident, Chris clearly
    > did not think this was the case. "The reality is that the team were likely to finish second
    > anyway... but by a much smaller margin, probably in the region of a second,." So for those of you
    > claiming that this error (which, by the way, is all part of the team aspect of the event) caused
    > the loss of the gold medal. I believe that you really need to GET A GRIP.

    Where did anywone claim that?

    BTW, part of performing well in that event (as well as any track event) is avoiding choosing the
    wrong gear. The Brits deserved to lose.

  7. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    Steve McGinty <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Gear on bike blamed for Steel's 'off day' at Worlds
    >
    > An extensive review of the video footage from the recent World Track Championships, revealed that
    > Bryan Steel, dropped after just 1.5km of racing in the final of the team pursuit event, had in
    > fact been given the wrong gear....
    >
    > ...Normally, Bryan would ride a gear of around 100 inches but the one in Stuttgart was probably
    > about 93 inches"
    >
    > http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/news/2003/gb_news/08_bryan_steel.shtml

    Does the UK team ever compete against the GB team? Doesn't the UK team have better mechanics or
    smarter racers than the GBers?

    -Ken, 08/15 rulez.

  8. Lasalles

    Lasalles New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2003
    At the end of the day its great to see Australia Vs GB in the final,and we all know England dont beat us in too many sports...

  9. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Steve McGinty <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Gear on bike blamed for Steel's 'off day' at Worlds
    > >
    > > An extensive review of the video footage from the recent World Track Championships, revealed
    > > that Bryan Steel, dropped after just 1.5km
    of
    > > racing in the final of the team pursuit event, had in fact been
    given
    > > the wrong gear....
    > >
    > > ...Normally, Bryan would ride a gear of around 100 inches but the
    one
    > > in Stuttgart was probably about 93 inches"

    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/news/2003/gb_news/08_bryan_steel.shtml

    > Does the UK team ever compete against the GB team? Doesn't the UK team have better mechanics or
    > smarter racers than the GBers?

    UK = GB + N. Ireland.

    Phil Holman

  10. bato

    bato New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2003
    GREAT BRITAIN LOST THE TEAMS PURSUIT BECAUSE AUSTRALIA KIKED SOME BUT, AND GB NEVER HAD A CHANCE AGAINST A TEAM THAT SET THE NEW WORLD RECORD!NEVER

  11. On 15 Aug 2003 08:14:43 +0950, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Call me a crotchety old bastard, but I find it incredible that no one bothered to check the
    >cog/chainring after Steel dropped out or in between rounds for that matter. It was drummed into us
    >time after time, "You (the rider) are responsible for making sure your equipment is right." That
    >included gearing and making sure all fasteners were properly tightened.
    >
    >More likely, it was the concurrent lack of pedal synchronisation between the riders that must have
    >caused the calamity.

    Spot on as usual, Carl - here's the evidence

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/jul03/trackworlds/?id=tpfinal/ROT_BAHNVIERER_GB_WM0304

    Steel is third in line - who can argue with that?

    Regards! Stephen