Why Hamilton Tends to Fall

musette

Aug 29, 2003
I was thinking about whether T Hamilton's bike position makes him more likely to fall and/or more likely to be injured seriously when he does fall. I vaguely recall one of the OLNTV commentators remarking that Tyler sits fairly upright on the bike, and that might not be helpful in a fall.

As all members know, Hamilton's fall in this year's TdF and resulting back injury were cited as the main reason for his pull-out.

Any views?

musette said:
I was thinking about whether T Hamilton's bike position makes him more likely to fall and/or more likely to be injured seriously when he does fall. I vaguely recall one of the OLNTV commentators remarking that Tyler sits fairly upright on the bike, and that might not be helpful in a fall.

As all members know, Hamilton's fall in this year's TdF and resulting back injury were cited as the main reason for his pull-out.

Any views?

I read somewhere he used to be an Olympic standard downhill skier but broke a couple of bones, this made him turn to cycling. I think he has a lot of bad luck.

musette said:

Any views?
Was that what caused his injury, though? Looked like bad luck to me. Why should a slightly more upright position open up his back (or collarbone) to injury?

I was very impressed with Jan's forthought to lock up his front brake when he crashed in 2001... It spared his shoulders and put the brunt of the fall on his back (the cameras couldn't show it, but that's what it looked like).

I'm no pro, but when I've crashed, it's always been sort of random how I landed. TH couldn't, I would guess, could have prevented his landing on someone else's pedal..