Why have a helmet camera? well this is why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abanana

Apr 27, 2010
hay if you ever wondered about getting a helmet camera , but thought you wouldn't use it ! well just to show how usefull they can be watch the video on the link! thereis a small amount of blood but he was lucky, wearing a lid and gathering evidence at the same time!
Head on Crash with Car *warning has blood* post your support on that site so he can see that we are all with him!

Being from Alabama, it's not surprising to me that the driver "didn't see" the bike. But cycling is much more common in the UK, as well as traffic law enforcement,so perhaps riders have more trust in motorists there. Here in Alabama, the driver likely wouldn't be charged with anything...."I didn't see the cyclist" is a good enough excuse.

I'm also surprised the cyclist didn't yield to the car, or at least take evasive action. Maybe he was a novice rider? Also appears the intersection was poorly designed. Thought a traffic circle was supposed to have all traffic flowing in the same direction. I've ridden through them in Italy and never had to face oncoming traffic like that.

dhk2 said:
I'm also surprised the cyclist didn't yield to the car,
One part of successfully sharing the road is to claim your right. Not in the face of inattention and immediate danger of course, but hesitating when you have the right of way is a frequent source of confusion which in itself can cause considerable risks.

dhk2 said:
...or at least take evasive action.

At 20 MPH there's not much you can do in terms of sharp turns. It's probably better to remain upright for the chance to be launched/tumble over the hood than to go down in front of the vehicle. Odds are he clamped on the brakes at about the same time we hear him shouting, although the video doesn't show it.

dhk2 said:
...Also appears the intersection was poorly designed.

UK is rather fond of replacing regular intersections with mini-roundabouts, they're less cost and less maintenance and higher traffic flow than lights-controlled intersections. They often end up having the entrance/exit lanes aligned radially as opposed to where it's space enough to have them connect tangentially. Don't expect them to be particularly round either...
Seeing as it is in an urban area that explanation would fit just fine.

dhk2 said:
..Thought a traffic circle was supposed to have all traffic flowing in the same direction.

It is. I think the head line is a tad misleading. It's probably not a clean head-on, but more of the car cutting of the cyclist's exit line out of the roundabout.

Or the driver just completely failed to understand how he was supposed to drive through there, which is always an option.

I can't tell how traffic is supposed to flow around that little chalk circle on the pavement (roundabout?), but it looks like he could have avoided the collision by maneuvering to the left.

This crash video is now the advertisement for a helmet cam? Suspicious anyone? At least his site is getting good activity now. :(

frenchyge said:
I can't tell how traffic is supposed to flow around that little chalk circle on the pavement (roundabout?), but it looks like he could have avoided the collision by maneuvering to the left.

This crash video is now the advertisement for a helmet cam? Suspicious anyone? At least his site is getting good activity now. :(

Yes, I am suspicious this is spam but thought I would leave it a while and get second opinions.

I don't think this is a good argument for a helmet cam. I don't think digital images are admissible evidence (at least not where I live) becasue there is no foolproof method to prevent doctoring of the "film".

The target site is not a merchant trying to sell the helmet cam, so the link doesn't meet the requirements to call it SPAM. Looks to me like nothing more than an unsolicited product review.

Nonetheless, I'm gonna lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.