Why Heras Has Not Done Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
musette said:
"That's pretty bad for someone who has won the Vuelta more than once for USPS."

He has only won the Vuelta once as part of the USPS team (last year). The first time he won, he was on a different team.

Well, you have to admit, a second place showing by Heras in 2002 for USPS wasn't too shabby either, was it? He lost the Tour in 2002 after having a 1 minute plus advantage going into the final TT. He gained this advantage in the mountains. His loss was not exactly because of failure of USPS to support him. He simply has never been much of a flat time trialist. He won the Vuelta in 2000 and 2003, placing 3rd in 1999. He has done very well in the Vuelta.

I can't imagine that he will recover that kind of form by then. Do you think he's saving himself for the Vuelta? Maybe that's about it for Heras.

gntlmn said:
Well, you have to admit, a second place showing by Heras in 2002 for USPS wasn't too shabby either, was it? He lost the Tour in 2002 after having a 1 minute plus advantage going into the final TT. He gained this advantage in the mountains. His loss was not exactly because of failure of USPS to support him. He simply has never been much of a flat time trialist. He won the Vuelta in 2000 and 2003, placing 3rd in 1999. He has done very well in the Vuelta.

I can't imagine that he will recover that kind of form by then. Do you think he's saving himself for the Vuelta? Maybe that's about it for Heras.
i can assure heras hasnt been saving at all for la vuelta, he is not old, he is 30, but he seems to be over, he has been many years in top, and you cant keep this level forever, he won one stage of la vuelta and finished 5th when he was 23. He is over, and thats why liberty will sign valverde next year
do you really think winning la vuelta twice is that important? i dont, especially the one he won last year, tour of luxembourg had a higher level

Miguel_garcia83 said:
do you really think winning la vuelta twice is that important? i dont, especially the one he won last year, tour of luxembourg had a higher level

I think it's important because the Vuelta is known mainly as a Tour that favors the climbers. How that compares with Luxembourg I don't know. It may not be as rated as Luxembourg, but it is quite a hilly tour. But now Heras is cracking in the mountains in the Tour de France. Something is amiss.

gntlmn said:
I think it's important because the Vuelta is known mainly as a Tour that favors the climbers. How that compares with Luxembourg I don't know. It may not be as rated as Luxembourg, but it is quite a hilly tour. But now Heras is cracking in the mountains in the Tour de France. Something is amiss.
the tour of luxembourg was a sarcastic example, but what i meant is that no foreign stars come to la vuelta, and some years not even spanish riders want to (mayo or zubeldia last year), so the final level is very very low, the last winners have been casero, aitor gonzález, heras, they all are in a similar level, which means that thats the real level of the spanish riders, i hope you can understand what i mean, sorry my english is not very good, i am trying my best

Miguel_garcia83 said:
the tour of luxembourg was a sarcastic example, but what i meant is that no foreign stars come to la vuelta, and some years not even spanish riders want to (mayo or zubeldia last year), so the final level is very very low, the last winners have been casero, aitor gonzález, heras, they all are in a similar level, which means that thats the real level of the spanish riders, i hope you can understand what i mean, sorry my english is not very good, i am trying my best

Miguel - can I ask you a question ?
Are you from Northern or Southern Spain ?
Thanks
Limerickman

Miguel_garcia83 said:

Yeah, I see your point. In fact, Lance first discovered that he could tour well instead of just being a stage winner at the Vuelta in 1998. And then what did he do? He never raced there again. Instead he focused on the Tour de France in 1999. The Vuelta may be weak as you say. I just always figured it was a race for strong climbers, but not necessarily great tour riders. Jose Maria Jimenez comes to mind. He was one of the greatest climbers ever. He has a sensational record at the Vuelta.

Heras has abandoned. ""He won't start," Liberty Seguros chief Manolo Saiz told Radio Marca before the start of the 17th stage. "We haven't been able to get him back to full fitness.""We've had to take a decision that isn't to our liking but we're professionals and life must go on.""

In another article: "``There's no reason to continue, he's not doing well and has been dealing with psychological issues,'' Liberty Seguros sporting director Manolo Saiz said of Heras." :(

Very strangely, procycling offers a minor physical explanation of sorts: "... the Spaniard opting to return home to sort out a knee injury rather than start Thursday’s stage in Bourg d’Oisans. Liberty Seguros team manager Manolo Saiz said that Heras was “in no condition to continue”. “We tried to allow Roberto to recuperate for the Alps, but we could not force him because if he did it affected his knee. It’s a small disappointment, but there will be better times ahead,” said Saiz."

I'm suprised they havn't blamed there equipment choices. If you saw the special on OLn a week or so ago you would remember that Frankie did a brief commentary on the wheels and tires they are riding. They are the only team riding the new mavic tubeless rims with the michelin tubeless tires.

Bottomline on why the biggies are not doing good: (Heras, Hamilton, Mayo, etc.)

THEY FORGOT TO PEDAL THERE BIKES IN JUNE. I don't know if they sat around and ate pizza or what, but they all look like club cyclists compared to Lance.

Heras finally threw in the towel before the beginning of Stage 17 today. Perhaps he is going to rest up for the Vuelta. He definitely had no chance remaining for a respectable finish this year in Paris.

TrekDedicated said:
I think it is amazing how many top cyclists have dropped out this year...It's incredible

I guess reality can be poignantly deflating when your aspirations are so high. :(

Miguel_garcia83 said:
i live in santander limerickman, thats on the north atlantic coast of spain
Santander is nice, I was there in 98 and loved the beaches. My Great Great Grandfather was originally from santander (my fathers side of the family is Spanish).

Is the name Cordero a common name in Cantabria?

Espada9 said:
Santander is nice, I was there in 98 and loved the beaches. My Great Great Grandfather was originally from santander (my fathers side of the family is Spanish).

Is the name Cordero a common name in Cantabria?
i am glad to know that santander is becoming so famous on this forum;)
cordero is not a very common name over here, in fact i have never heard anybody with that name

musette said:
Are there Spanish-speaking members who have followed, say, AS coverage of the Tour and who can give insight on why Heras is performing so poorly (including during Stages 12 and 13)? :(

The Liberty Seguros website contains little snippets:

-- July 18. "They’d already announced they’d be battling for the stages after the team had bid farewell to its GC aspirations.... The race resumes its activity on Tuesday with arrival in the Alps.... after the beating the riders and team managers suffered... A shock, from which the team is still recovering, and **for which, they have no explanation**. 'Nothing like this has ever happened to us in the Tour. The closest to this; but under different circumstances because we didn’t have the leader; Zülle, who’d fallen and broken his collarbone. Then Manolo relaxed the pressure on the riders, encouraging them to think about the Vuelta a España. But the circumstances were different, we didn’t have a rider disputing the title and on reaching our terrain, we suffered a beating like today’s. We can’t find an explanation for it, so we’re trying to analyse the data to see what could’ve been the reason for it.' This is what Pablo Antón, Liberty Seguros manager told us, regarding the team’s performance on reaching the Pyrenees."

-- Earlier: "On descending Col de Core, the first 1º cat. climb on the parcours, Liberty Seguros team leader, saw how his bike slithered along the road causing him to fall off. Despite the fall he managed to pick himself up quickly and rejoin the race. However, Heras’ slip up has hung over his head for the rest of the stage. He had problems rejoining the peloton although he managed in the end on crossing the finishing line with a difference of 21’35” in relation to the winner, i.e. the American intent on winning his 6th consecutive Tour, Lance Armstrong."
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Status
Not open for further replies.