Why I aurghta......!!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <rant mode - on>

    Yesterdays Sunday Times articles......
    1. Problems with Obese Youth
    2. Congestion charging.....

    These articles were not in seperate supplements, nor were they many pages apart IIRC.

    ARE THEY ALL STUPID OR WHAT ?!!!? How many brain cells does it take to work it out ??

    There's also been something in the news over the last couple of days about the vast quantities of
    dosh being wasted trying to encourage 'Yoof' into sports. It ain't working and it's wasting
    millions..... 'onestly..... .....harrumppphhh....... <rant mode - off> Dave.

    Tags:

  2. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > <rant mode - on>
    >
    > Yesterdays Sunday Times articles......
    > 1. Problems with Obese Youth
    > 2. Congestion charging.....
    >
    > These articles were not in seperate supplements, nor were they many pages apart IIRC.
    >
    > ARE THEY ALL STUPID OR WHAT ?!!!?

    Whilst over-reliance of cars (and buses) is an issue, it's hardly all of the problem!

    <snip

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > <rant mode - on>
    > >
    > > Yesterdays Sunday Times articles......
    > > 1. Problems with Obese Youth
    > > 2. Congestion charging.....
    > >
    > > These articles were not in seperate supplements, nor were they many
    pages
    > > apart IIRC.
    > >
    > > ARE THEY ALL STUPID OR WHAT ?!!!?
    >
    > Whilst over-reliance of cars (and buses) is an issue, it's hardly all of
    the
    > problem!
    >
    > <snip>

    Nah...but..... When I were a lad, back in the day, etcetc.... and it never did me no harm!!! A
    little more positive encouragement into cycling, a little less negative 'dangerous pastime'
    publicity would go a long way to helping alleviate both of these issues. If kids are encouraged to
    cycle, a natural level of fitness is achieved. Once kids are fit(ter), then they take up interests
    in other sports / pastimes. cheers, Dave.... heightened levels of naivety and innocence are my
    objectives....mate!

  4. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > <rant mode - on>
    > > >
    > > > Yesterdays Sunday Times articles......
    > > > 1. Problems with Obese Youth
    > > > 2. Congestion charging.....
    > > >
    > > > These articles were not in seperate supplements, nor were they many
    > pages
    > > > apart IIRC.
    > > >
    > > > ARE THEY ALL STUPID OR WHAT ?!!!?
    > >
    > > Whilst over-reliance of cars (and buses) is an issue, it's hardly all of
    > the
    > > problem!
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > Nah...but..... When I were a lad, back in the day, etcetc.... and it never did me no harm!!! A
    > little more positive encouragement into cycling, a little less negative 'dangerous pastime'
    > publicity would go a long way to helping alleviate
    both
    > of these issues. If kids are encouraged to cycle, a natural level of fitness is achieved. Once
    > kids are fit(ter), then they take up interests in other sports / pastimes. cheers, Dave....
    > heightened levels of naivety and innocence are my objectives....mate!

    Encouraging people to walk would be a start! But yes, I agree.

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > pages

    > > > Whilst over-reliance of cars (and buses) is an issue, it's hardly all
    of
    > > the
    > > > problem!
    > > >
    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > Nah...but..... When I were a lad, back in the day, etcetc.... and it
    never
    > > did me no harm!!! A little more positive encouragement into cycling, a little less
    negative
    > > 'dangerous pastime' publicity would go a long way to helping alleviate
    > both
    > > of these issues. If kids are encouraged to cycle, a natural level of fitness is achieved. Once
    > > kids are fit(ter), then they take up interests in other sports / pastimes. cheers, Dave....
    > > heightened levels of naivety and innocence are my objectives....mate!
    > >

    > Encouraging people to walk would be a start! But yes, I agree.

    Agreed!...For about ten years I only walked as far as once around the supermarket for the once a
    week shop prior to losing my driving licence for six months back in '99. Since then I've realised I
    need to make a little more effort for my own levels of well-being. I've packed the job in, so the
    company car and excessive mileage / hours have gone. I'm now working at a leisure centre where I can
    get free use of the facilities. It's within stumbling distance of home and part-time. I get plenty
    of time for cycling, swimming and climbing. All of this is a great leap from where I spent the last
    23 years (in an office, rat-race, 9-5 if I was lucky) and I have to say, I feel better for it. My
    wife's a bit nervous about the reduced income, but hey, who knows?...I might be able to combine the
    two, be a bit creative and tap into some of that funding for encouraging local youth to take up
    sporting past-times ;-) cheers, Dave.