Why I had sore throats

Claire Petersky

Guest
I had a burning sore throat, all the way into the chest, so I thought I was
coming down with something. I had a zinc lozenge, echinecea, and vitamin C,
and went to bed early. I was fine in the morning. Next day, by the end of
the day, my throat was sore again. More zinc, etc.

Today, I figured it out. It's not that I'm skirting a cold. It's the bad air
quality lately. It's why I've been short of breath just sitting under I-90
waiting for the traffic light to change, much less pulling up Dearborn under
I-5. (Doesn't bad air sink?) That's the source of my sore throat and burning
in my chest.

I'm going to hope for a good pineapple express to wash it all out. Well
worth it to ride in heavy rains and winds if it means I can breathe again.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

One of the things I hated about cycling in El Lay was the way my throat
would burn, nuch as you described, especially after a long hard ride.
Eventually even "escaping" into the mountains didn't do any good!

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 04:26:43 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Today, I figured it out. It's not that I'm skirting a cold. It's the bad air
>quality lately. It's why I've been short of breath just sitting under I-90
>waiting for the traffic light to change, much less pulling up Dearborn under
>I-5. (Doesn't bad air sink?)

The particulate matter does.

Furnaces are going full time. The fancy condos have wood burning
fireplaces. Those Presto-Logs sure add to the stink.
--
zk

Don't you feel it in your eyes first? Seems that when the air quality
geets bad I get sore eyes and tearing before anything else.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I had a burning sore throat, all the way into the chest, so I thought I was
>coming down with something. I had a zinc lozenge, echinecea, and vitamin C,
>and went to bed early. I was fine in the morning. Next day, by the end of
>the day, my throat was sore again. More zinc, etc.
>
>Today, I figured it out. It's not that I'm skirting a cold. It's the bad air
>quality lately. It's why I've been short of breath just sitting under I-90
>waiting for the traffic light to change, much less pulling up Dearborn under
>I-5. (Doesn't bad air sink?) That's the source of my sore throat and burning
>in my chest.
>
>I'm going to hope for a good pineapple express to wash it all out. Well
>worth it to ride in heavy rains and winds if it means I can breathe again.

To err on the side of safety, get yourself checked out for bronchitis
by your doctor. The symptoms I get from such are a lot like the ones I
get!
richard

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I had a burning sore throat, all the way into the chest, so I thought I was
>coming down with something. I had a zinc lozenge, echinecea, and vitamin C,
>and went to bed early. I was fine in the morning. Next day, by the end of
>the day, my throat was sore again. More zinc, etc.
>
>Today, I figured it out. It's not that I'm skirting a cold. It's the bad air
>quality lately. It's why I've been short of breath just sitting under I-90
>waiting for the traffic light to change, much less pulling up Dearborn under
>I-5. (Doesn't bad air sink?) That's the source of my sore throat and burning
>in my chest.
>
>I'm going to hope for a good pineapple express to wash it all out. Well
>worth it to ride in heavy rains and winds if it means I can breathe again.

Go to your doctor and get yourself checked out for bronchitis. From
the symptoms you describe, it sounds a lot how I feel when I get it.
Err on the side of safety, Claire,
richard

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

> Today, I figured it out. It's not that I'm skirting a cold. It's the bad air
> quality lately. It's why I've been short of breath just sitting under I-90
> waiting for the traffic light to change, much less pulling up Dearborn under
> I-5. (Doesn't bad air sink?) That's the source of my sore throat and burning
> in my chest.

:-(

I'm having the same problems here. I thought I had just gotten something
from the petri dishes I call my daughters.

> I'm going to hope for a good pineapple express to wash it all out. Well
> worth it to ride in heavy rains and winds if it means I can breathe again.

Ouch. I was kind of enjoying the *dry* cold weather personally.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."

Claire Petersky wrote:
> I had a burning sore throat, all the way into the chest, so I thought I was
> coming down with something. I had a zinc lozenge, echinecea, and vitamin C,
> and went to bed early. I was fine in the morning. Next day, by the end of
> the day, my throat was sore again. More zinc, etc.
>
> Today, I figured it out. It's not that I'm skirting a cold. It's the bad air
> quality lately. It's why I've been short of breath just sitting under I-90
> waiting for the traffic light to change, much less pulling up Dearborn under
> I-5. (Doesn't bad air sink?) That's the source of my sore throat and burning
> in my chest.

It probably is the air, cold winter air is much dryer then warm summer
air, motor vehicle engines are less efficient when it's cold out, so
that dry air is more polluted as well.

The Wogster <[email protected]> wrote:

> It probably is the air, cold winter air is much dryer then warm summer
> air, motor vehicle engines are less efficient when it's cold out, so
> that dry air is more polluted as well.

Well, I think the air has been thoroughly scrubbed today. So hopefully
we won't have this problem for a while.

Excuse me while I go wring out my socks.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Without coffee he could not work, or at least he could not have worked in the

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, I think the air has been thoroughly scrubbed today. So hopefully
> we won't have this problem for a while.

Yes, isn't it *excellent*?

> Excuse me while I go wring out my socks.

We have a new secretary in our workgroup. She wanted to know why I had my
little desk fan on. "You're hot?!" she asked. I then pointed out how the
device was pointed at my bicycling gloves.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Well, I think the air has been thoroughly scrubbed today. So hopefully
>> we won't have this problem for a while.

> Yes, isn't it *excellent*?

Well, now that I've dried off, I'm feeling a little more partial to it
yes. One good thing about moving to a different floor at work is the
shower is *much* warmer. The other one would only get lukewarm.

>> Excuse me while I go wring out my socks.

> We have a new secretary in our workgroup. She wanted to know why I had my
> little desk fan on. "You're hot?!" she asked. I then pointed out how the
> device was pointed at my bicycling gloves.

I was just mentioning to my wife that I needed to get a little fan for
work for my shoes. Up to now I've been using my monitors to dry out my
socks / knee warmers / gloves. Which actually works fairly well. As a
bonus, they are also warm when I go to put them on.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm *warm socks* mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Well, I think the air has been thoroughly scrubbed today. So hopefully
>>> we won't have this problem for a while.

>> Yes, isn't it *excellent*?

> Well, now that I've dried off, I'm feeling a little more partial to it
> yes.

I loved the ride home today. I even did extra miles because the weather was
so nice. I know some folks would think I've gone around the bend to think
that mid-40s and pouring rain is nice weather for cycling, but I thought it
was mighty fine. The worst of it is that towards the end I got rather warm,
and when I unzipped the jersey a bit to cool off, warm air wafted up and
steamed up the glasses. It's one thing to be riding home in a rain storm and
in the dark. It's another to do so with steamed up glasses. I felt like I
would have been better riding without any thing in front of my eyes and
being able to actually *see*.

Was that you coming up Eastgate at 9:15 this morning? I was exceedingly late
in to work, but it's being characteristically slow for late December, so no
harm in leaving the house when the sun's already up, and riding the whole
way in.

> mmmmmmmmmmmmm *warm socks* mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's why I throw the gloves on the heat vent at home. It's much nicer to
put on dry, toasty warm gloves in the morning than soggy cold ones that you
stupidly left in the garage.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Claire wrote;

That's why I throw the gloves on the heat vent at home. It's much nicer
to put on dry, toasty warm gloves in the morning than soggy cold ones
that you stupidly left in the garage.

Just don't put your wet gloves in the microwave to warm them up. They
shrivel up into hard little baby sized gloves.
Don't ask me how I know.
They were almost new too.

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yes, isn't it *excellent*?

>> Well, now that I've dried off, I'm feeling a little more partial to it
>> yes.

> I loved the ride home today. I even did extra miles because the weather was
> so nice. I know some folks would think I've gone around the bend to think
> that mid-40s and pouring rain is nice weather for cycling, but I thought it
> was mighty fine.

Aye, Tuesday it was raining like the dickens so I decided to take the
longer way home around the south end of the lake. Compared to the
previous weeks, it was quite nice. Also, now that the air has been
scrubbed a few times, it's much nicer smelling out and my sore throats
have gone away.

> The worst of it is that towards the end I got rather warm,
> and when I unzipped the jersey a bit to cool off, warm air wafted up and
> steamed up the glasses. It's one thing to be riding home in a rain storm and
> in the dark. It's another to do so with steamed up glasses. I felt like I
> would have been better riding without any thing in front of my eyes and
> being able to actually *see*.

This is the entire reason I switched to contacts when I started riding
seriously. Contacts + cycling glasses are much nicer in the rain compared
to regular corrective glasses. Plus when it got really wet I just took
the glasses off and was able to cycle fine.

> Was that you coming up Eastgate at 9:15 this morning? I was exceedingly late
> in to work, but it's being characteristically slow for late December, so no
> harm in leaving the house when the sun's already up, and riding the whole
> way in.

Almost certainly, I am not doing good this week for getting in at a
decent time. Thankfully, the software will still be there and it's
not like I have a bunch of meetings lately.

>> mmmmmmmmmmmmm *warm socks* mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

> That's why I throw the gloves on the heat vent at home. It's much nicer to
> put on dry, toasty warm gloves in the morning than soggy cold ones that you
> stupidly left in the garage.

Is this the right point to gloat? I picked up four pairs of REI winter
cycling gloves on clearance for $5 a piece. If one pair is wet or needs
to washed, I just put on another pair.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Life is a biochemical reaction to the stimulus of the surrounding

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> mmmmmmmmmmmmm *warm socks* mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

>> That's why I throw the gloves on the heat vent at home. It's much nicer
>> put on dry, toasty warm gloves in the morning than soggy cold ones that
>> you
>> stupidly left in the garage.

> Is this the right point to gloat? I picked up four pairs of REI winter
> cycling gloves on clearance for $5 a piece. If one pair is wet or needs
> to washed, I just put on another pair.

You know, you could do the same with socks :)

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

> I'm going to hope for a good pineapple express to wash it all out. Well
> worth it to ride in heavy rains and winds if it means I can breathe again.

OK, I'm ready for it to stop raining now. Any time. Just say the word. No
more rain.

Puleeze?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

> OK, I'm ready for it to stop raining now. Any time. Just say the word. No
> more rain.
>
> Puleeze?

And I wonder..... Still I wonder.... Who-o-o-o will stop the rain?

[apologies to CCR]

Claire Petersky wrote:
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>I'm going to hope for a good pineapple express to wash it all out. Well
>>worth it to ride in heavy rains and winds if it means I can breathe again.

> OK, I'm ready for it to stop raining now. Any time. Just say the word. No
> more rain.
>
> Puleeze?

I'm with you Claire, here (Toronto, Ontario, Canada - in The Great White
North - bah all we are getting right now is cold rain ) it's been
raining since December.... Either warm up and get sunny, so I can go
riding, or get cold and sunny so I can go hiking. At this rate all I
will end up with is an extra 10lbs....

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I'm going to hope for a good pineapple express to wash it all out. Well
>> worth it to ride in heavy rains and winds if it means I can breathe again.

> OK, I'm ready for it to stop raining now. Any time. Just say the word. No
> more rain.

Today really wasn't bad. Now Friday, when I decided to take the long
way home around the lake, that was bad.

It inspired me to order these: http://tinyurl.com/create.php

We'll see how they work after I cut-out a portion for my SPD cleat.

> Puleeze?

Heh, it's either hope for a break in the rain, or possibly grow
gills.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
The master programmer moves from program to program without fear. No

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I'm going to hope for a good pineapple express to wash it all out. Well
>> worth it to ride in heavy rains and winds if it means I can breathe again.

> OK, I'm ready for it to stop raining now. Any time. Just say the word. No
> more rain.
>
> Puleeze?

Well, it's not my fault. I still have my magic helmet cover
on my helmet, but it's still raining. Maybe it's worn out.
But I think it's just overwhelmed.

Maybe somebody should plan & organize a picnic-in-the-rain.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.