Why I love my wife.....

Clydesdalemtb

Guest
We are making plans for a grand journey to Naples, FL for Christmas, and then up to Memphis, TN for
New year's. Decided to take the Volvo 760 sedan instead of the XTerra, for the creature comforts and
gas savings.... Wifey-pooh asks to "How are you going to get your bike to FL, and TN, and home
again?" I reply:" Umm..... I wasn't planning to take a bike." She looks at me and say's "You _can't_
go three weeks without riding, You will go insane.... Why don't you put the bike rack on the roof of
the car!" I reminded her of the increase in air drag and it's effect on gas mileage w/ having the
bike up there, so she suggested shipping the bike down... Umm, no-way remeber the last time I
shipped the Habanero, what UPS did to it? Okay, so ship the SingleSpeed down then.... <sigh> "Yes,
Dear.... if you insist"

> We are making plans for a grand journey to Naples, FL for Christmas, and then up to Memphis, TN
> for New year's. Decided to take the Volvo 760 sedan instead of the XTerra, for the creature
> comforts and gas savings.... Wifey-pooh asks to "How are you going to get your bike to FL, and TN,
> and home again?" I reply:" Umm..... I wasn't planning to take a bike." She looks at me and say's
> "You _can't_ go three weeks without riding, You will go insane.... Why don't you put the bike rack
> on the roof of the car!" I reminded her of the increase in air drag and it's effect on gas mileage
> w/ having the bike up there, so she suggested shipping the bike down... Umm, no-way remeber the
> last time I shipped the Habanero, what UPS did to it? Okay, so ship the SingleSpeed down then....
> <sigh> "Yes, Dear.... if you insist"

Ooooooohhhh I don't know about this. I am *never* this nice unless I've done something wrong or I am
going to be asking a favor ;)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:23:10 -0500, ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
> We are making plans for a grand journey to Naples, FL for Christmas,

> I reminded her of the increase in air drag and it's effect on gas mileage w/ having the bike
> up there

Pop the wheels off and the seat out (and the fork if you have to) and a bike frame is pretty small.
We had it stuck behind the back seat of our Cherokee last trip; propped the wheels behind it and it
took about a foot of space from the back. There was still plenty of room to pile bags & stuff.

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

> I reminded her of the increase in air drag and it's effect on gas mileage w/ having the bike up
> there, so she suggested shipping the bike down... Umm, no-way remeber the last time I shipped the
> Habanero, what UPS did to it? Okay, so ship the SingleSpeed down then.... <sigh> "Yes, Dear.... if
> you insist"

What really hits your pocketbook more? Shipping a bike versus a slight increase in gas consumption?
I would suspect that shipping a bike would cost much more than the decreased gas mileage.

- Jay

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:23:10 -0500, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip insane madness that would never happen in my world]
>Okay, so ship the SingleSpeed down then.... <sigh> "Yes, Dear.... if you insist"

Yeah Boy, ride that thang!

SS the only way to fly, Bill

:-]

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> We are making plans for a grand journey to Naples, FL for Christmas, and then up to Memphis, TN
> for New year's. Decided to take the Volvo 760 sedan instead of the XTerra, for the creature
> comforts and gas savings.... Wifey-pooh asks to "How are you going to get your bike to FL, and TN,
> and home again?" I reply:" Umm..... I wasn't planning to take a bike." She looks at me and say's
> "You _can't_ go three weeks without riding, You will go insane.... Why don't you put the bike rack
> on the roof of the car!" I reminded her of the increase in air drag and it's effect on gas mileage
> w/ having the bike up there, so she suggested shipping the bike down... Umm, no-way remeber the
> last time I shipped the Habanero, what UPS did to it? Okay, so ship the SingleSpeed down then....
> <sigh> "Yes, Dear.... if you insist"

Yer a lucky guy John - not everyone ends up married to someone who cares about their passions and
needs, and is generally thoughful. In fcat not enough do....

Shaun aRe

Hey Clyde,

If you're driving from Naples to Memphis, you may just want to stop by Birmingham for a ride at Oak
Mountain. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Also, before shipping a bike UPS, give me a holler. There are a few little tricks that can cut the
cost in half.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Cinder Girl wrote:
> Ooooooohhhh I don't know about this. I am *never* this nice unless I've done something wrong or I
> am going to be asking a favor ;)

Well, she _did_ have that minor accident in the XTerra yesterday, but that really has nothing to do
with it, I'm sure. She know's me and know's my physical (and mental ;-) health _requires_ riding.

Nothing soothes the sould like a pre-dawn ride out to Wiggins Pass to watch the sunrise over the
Gulf of Mexico, IMO.

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > We are making plans for a grand journey to Naples, FL for Christmas, and then up to Memphis, TN
> > for New year's. Decided to take the Volvo 760 sedan instead of the XTerra, for the creature
> > comforts and gas savings.... Wifey-pooh asks to "How are you going to get your bike to FL, and
> > TN, and home again?" I reply:" Umm..... I wasn't planning to take a bike." She looks at me and
> > say's "You _can't_ go three weeks without riding, You will go insane.... Why don't you put the
> > bike rack on the roof of the car!" I reminded her of the increase in air drag and it's effect on
> > gas mileage w/ having the bike up there, so she suggested shipping the bike down... Umm, no-way
> > remeber the last time I shipped the Habanero, what UPS did to it? Okay, so ship the SingleSpeed
> > down then.... <sigh> "Yes, Dear.... if you insist"
> >

> Ooooooohhhh I don't know about this. I am *never* this nice unless I've done something wrong or I
> am going to be asking a favor ;)

I'd probably say, put it on the rack honey, who cares about a few mpg. Being nice to my hubby is a
good thing.

penny s

RE/
>; propped the wheels behind it and it took about a foot of space from the back.

Which begs the question: has anybody managed to get a disassembled FS into one of those 10"x10"x
something-or-other boxes that qualify as regular baggage?

There's something called "S&R" couplings that people put on hardtail frames specifically for
allowing the bike to be broken down that far....but after shipping a frame to Ellsworth (twice)....I
have to wonder if the average FS is already shippable in that small a box...
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

In article <[email protected]>, Jay wrote:

> What really hits your pocketbook more? Shipping a bike versus a slight increase in gas
> consumption? I would suspect that shipping a bike would cost much more than the decreased gas
> mileage.

Hey, we're cyclists here. Part of the fun of riding a bike is not using any gas and being able to
take the moral high ground. While people around here are griping because my country decided to
ratify the Kyoto accord, I just shrug my shoulders and keep riding my bikes. I can't get better
mileage than I get now! :D

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

Andrew Thorne wrote:
> Hey Clyde,
>
> If you're driving from Naples to Memphis, you may just want to stop by Birmingham for a ride at
> Oak Mountain.

Hmmm.. Oak Mtn. you say? Well, we _are_ taking 231 up to Montgomery and I-65 up to Birmingham and
then 78 through Tupolo, to Memphis. so it COULD be a possibility.

> Let me know if you want to meet up.

Time might be tight, but I'd love to if timing works out.

> Also, before shipping a bike UPS, give me a holler. There are a few little tricks that can cut the
> cost in half.

Like removing both wheels, seat and fork and stuffing it all into a teeny tiny box, or do you get
more creative than that?

> Yer a lucky guy John - not everyone ends up married to someone who cares about their passions and
> needs, and is generally thoughful. In fcat not enough do....

The only thing which tops it is to have a woman as much into the sport as I.

Paradise I tell ya...

> Yer a lucky guy John - not everyone ends up married to someone who cares about their passions and
> needs, and is generally thoughful. In fcat not enough do....
>
> Shaun aRe

<serious mode> that's part of what makes a good marriage.. support of indivuidual ( and jouint
)passions. You've got to balance your persoanl passions with the family, but if you do a good job it
works really really well. Maybe someday you'll ding someone...

</serious>

penny

S and S: http://www.sandsmachine.com/

> specifically for allowing the bike to be broken down that far....but after shipping a frame
> to Ellsworth (twice)....I have to wonder if the average FS is already shippable in that small
> a box...

Mine wouldn't fit. The boxes you're talking about sound like the carry-on size for 20"-wheeled
foldable bicycles?

Greg
--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

news:[email protected]...
wrote:

> > What really hits your pocketbook more? Shipping a bike versus a slight increase in gas
> > consumption? I would suspect that shipping a bike would cost much more than the decreased gas
> > mileage.
>
> Hey, we're cyclists here. Part of the fun of riding a bike is not using any gas and being able to
> take the moral high ground.

So this shipping company he'd use - Would they ride the bike down there? Or maybe walk it down
there? Nope, they'd send it in a gas or diesel burning vehicle. Thus the total emissions level may
in fact be greater than just the little extra burned by a volvo with some extra air resistance. And
I'd be almost certain that the air resistance of a forward facing bike on a roof rack would be less
than the resistance from a sideways mounted bike on a rear bike beak.

But this begs the question - Truck drivers have wedges on the roof to help the air flow better up
and over the trailer. I wonder if someone has thought of a plastic shield to put over the front of a
bike on a roof rack to make it more streamlined?

And the next question, what do ppl do with bikes on a roof rack, to stop themselves accidentally
driving into the garage with the bike on the roof. I know our garage wouldn't allow my vehicle in
with the bike on the roof, either the garage or the bike would lose the argument. Whilst I think
both would lose to some extent, I suspect the bike would lose more drastically.

Trentus

Jan Sacharuk wrote:

> Hey, we're cyclists here. Part of the fun of riding a bike is not using any gas and being able to
> take the moral high ground.

What? Do you live in a cave or something? Unless the bicycle is being shipped via Pony Express, fuel
is certainly consumed and emissions released when a courier ships the bike.

Granted one would need to determine the percentage attributable to just the bike's package, but this
percentage, coupled with the extra shipping cost plus the higher holiday risk of the bike being sent
to la-la land instead of Clyde's destination, should be enough to convince most that putting the
bike on the car is the only option.

- Jay

John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_12K9.124899$pN3.9281@sccrnsc03...

> > Yer a lucky guy John - not everyone ends up married to someone who cares about their passions
> > and needs, and is generally thoughful. In fcat not enough do....
>
> The only thing which tops it is to have a woman as much into the sport as
I.

Aye - the woman I'm seeing at the moment is as much into the sport as me. She doesn't much care for
mountainbiking though.

> Paradise I tell ya...

Try telling that to my aching bollox.

Shaun aRe does a great John Wayne impersonation.

penny s <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Yer a lucky guy John - not everyone ends up married to someone who cares about their passions
> > and needs, and is generally thoughful. In fcat not enough do....
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> <serious mode> that's part of what makes a good marriage.. support of indivuidual ( and jouint
> )passions. You've got to balance your persoanl passions with the family, but if you do a good job
> it works really really well. Maybe
someday
> you'll ding someone...
>
> </serious>

<SM> Also. Aye Penny - I'm more than a little aware of what makes a relationship flourish. As for
'dinging' someone, I said here recently, I'm currently seeing a _very_ special woman - we have just
the right mix of parallels, convergences, and differences. Our outlooks are very similar, even
though our opinions may differ. It seems we'll do just fine in our mutual support of each other's
individual passions, and we seem to have an inordinately large number of joint ones too. She's also
a kind and genuine girl, and just as bloody daft as I am, which helps ',;~} This is the type of
relationship I'd always hoped for, but never expected. (Despite my protestations otherwise, I am
quite the opposite of cynical when it comes to relationships). I wish more people managed to find
the right person in life, but it's a big world, and we are many types. </SM>

Cheers Penny.

Shaun aRe - Yeah, so what if I'm a soft f*cker?!?

',;~}

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote:

>And the next question, what do ppl do with bikes on a roof rack, to stop themselves accidentally
>driving into the garage with the bike on the roof.

It's easy - when you load the bike on the roof, move the garage door opener somewhere else. I just
move it from one visor to the other, which is enough to remind me "something's different".
Alternatively you might put it in the glovebox or other "very unusual place".