Why I love my wife.....

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> And the next question, what do ppl do with bikes on a roof rack, to stop themselves accidentally
> driving into the garage with the bike on the roof. I know our garage wouldn't allow my vehicle in
> with the bike on the roof, either the garage or the bike would lose the argument. Whilst I think
> both would lose to some extent, I suspect the bike would lose more drastically.

I tape a big ol' sign on my garage door opener that says "BIKES!!!!"

So far, no probs. (But I also never go into drive-thrus or any other low-clearance area - mostly
because of that big fecking note on my garage door opener!)

Spider

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> <SM> Also. Aye Penny - I'm more than a little aware of what makes a relationship flourish. As for
> 'dinging' someone, I said here recently, I'm currently seeing a _very_ special woman - we have
> just the right mix of parallels, convergences, and differences. Our outlooks are very similar,
> even though our opinions may differ. It seems we'll do just fine in our mutual support of each
> other's individual passions, and we seem to have an inordinately large number of joint ones too.
> She's also a kind and genuine girl, and just as bloody daft as I am, which helps ',;~} This is the
> type of relationship I'd always hoped for, but never expected. (Despite my protestations
> otherwise, I am quite the opposite of cynical when it comes to relationships). I wish more people
> managed to find the right person in life, but it's a big world, and we are many types. </SM>

Someone pass the bucket...

news:[email protected]... I am quite the opposite of cynical when it comes to
> relationships). I wish more people managed to find the right person in
life,
> but it's a big world, and we are many types. </SM>
>
> Cheers Penny.
>
> Shaun aRe - Yeah, so what if I'm a soft f*cker?!?
>
> ',;~}

never stop working at it... never ever take it as a given...

In article <[email protected]>, Trentus wrote:

>> Hey, we're cyclists here. Part of the fun of riding a bike is not using any gas and being able to
>> take the moral high ground.
>
> So this shipping company he'd use - Would they ride the bike down there? Or maybe walk it down
> there? Nope, they'd send it in a gas or diesel burning vehicle. Thus the total emissions level may
> in fact be greater than just the little extra burned by a volvo with some extra air resistance.
> And I'd be almost certain that the air resistance of a forward facing bike on a roof rack would be
> less than the resistance from a sideways mounted bike on a rear bike beak.

Actually, you're probably wrong. The EXTRA amount of fuel that the courier vehicle would be burning
because of the bike (which weighs something in the neighborhood of 10kg) would be fairly negligible.
The only way your argument makes sense is if the courier is ONLY carrying the bike, and has to make
a special trip. The courier will make the trip regardless of whether the bike is on the
truck/plane/whatever or not. The fuel economy of the truck per item gets better when there's more
stuff being carried.

For a simplistic analogy, think of a bus. The REAL fuel savings comes when you've got a full bus,
despite the fact that the bus certainly burns more fuel than a small car.

> But this begs the question - Truck drivers have wedges on the roof to help the air flow better up
> and over the trailer. I wonder if someone has thought of a plastic shield to put over the front of
> a bike on a roof rack to make it more streamlined?

To be entirely pedantic, it doesn't beg the question, it prompts the question. This is begging the
question: http://skepdic.com/begging.html (To be fair, you can't be blamed for using it like you
did. Common usage has started to corrupt our language. Anyway...)

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

> penny s <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>. Maybe someday
> > you'll ding someone...
> >
> > </serious>
>
> <SM> Also. Aye Penny - I'm more than a little aware of what makes a relationship flourish. As for
> 'dinging' someone,

oops that should read "find" someone. I have one finger of one hand splinted and I'm trying to
edit/spellcheck everything but that one went right by...

penny

> John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_12K9.124899$pN3.9281@sccrnsc03...
> >
> > > Yer a lucky guy John - not everyone ends up married to someone who
cares
> > > about their passions and needs, and is generally thoughful. In fcat
not
> > > enough do....
> >
> > The only thing which tops it is to have a woman as much into the sport
as
> I.
>
> Aye - the woman I'm seeing at the moment is as much into the sport as me. She doesn't much care
> for mountainbiking though.
>
> > Paradise I tell ya...
>
> Try telling that to my aching bollox.
>

> Shaun aRe does a great John Wayne impersonation.

I was referring to the sport *at* hand...

Trentus wrote:
> "Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>In article <[email protected]>, Jay
>
> wrote:
>
>>>What really hits your pocketbook more? Shipping a bike versus a slight increase in gas
>>>consumption? I would suspect that shipping a bike would cost much more than the decreased gas
>>>mileage.
>>
>>Hey, we're cyclists here. Part of the fun of riding a bike is not using any gas and being able to
>>take the moral high ground.
>

> So this shipping company he'd use - Would they ride the bike down there? Or maybe walk it down
> there? Nope, they'd send it in a gas or diesel burning vehicle. Thus the total emissions level may
> in fact be greater than just the little extra burned by a volvo with some extra air resistance.

No, because it would be packed along with alot of other stuff.

> And I'd be almost certain that the air resistance of a forward facing bike on a roof rack would be
> less than the resistance from a sideways mounted bike on a rear bike beak.

No, the rear-mounted bike is riding in the slip stream.

> But this begs the question - Truck drivers have wedges on the roof to help the air flow better up
> and over the trailer. I wonder if someone has thought of a plastic shield to put over the front of
> a bike on a roof rack to make it more streamlined?

Yes, already been done to a small extent.

> And the next question, what do ppl do with bikes on a roof rack, to stop themselves accidentally
> driving into the garage with the bike on the roof. I know our garage wouldn't allow my vehicle in
> with the bike on the roof, either the garage or the bike would lose the argument. Whilst I think
> both would lose to some extent, I suspect the bike would lose more drastically.

Either remember or lose your bike. Some people hang doodads from their rearview mirror. My friend is
working on a patent for a device that will never let you forget your bike is on top.

Greg

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

> "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >And the next question, what do ppl do with bikes on a roof rack, to stop themselves accidentally
> >driving into the garage with the bike on the
roof.

> It's easy - when you load the bike on the roof, move the garage door opener somewhere else. I just
> move it from one visor to the other, which is enough to remind me "something's different".
> Alternatively you might put it in the glovebox or other "very unusual place".

If it were me I'd have to lock it in the trunk. Sometimes I'm so brain dead after a ride it would
take getting out of the vehicle to act as a reminder. Very good idea though.

Mike

"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > penny s <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >. Maybe someday
> > > you'll ding someone...
> > >
> > > </serious>
> >
> > <SM> Also. Aye Penny - I'm more than a little aware of what makes a relationship flourish. As
> > for 'dinging' someone,
>
> oops that should read "find" someone. I have one finger of one hand splinted and I'm trying to
> edit/spellcheck everything but that one went right by...
>
> penny

I knew I was dinged the first time I saw my husband ;)

penny s wrote:

> oops that should read "find" someone. I have one finger of one hand splinted

That's a warning to everyone to avoid kinky sex...

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:03:58 +0000, Michael Dart did issue forth:

>> It's easy - when you load the bike on the roof, move the garage door opener somewhere else. I
>> just move it from one visor to the other, which is enough to remind me "something's different".
>> Alternatively you might put it in the glovebox or other "very unusual place".
>>

> If it were me I'd have to lock it in the trunk. Sometimes I'm so brain dead after a ride it would
> take getting out of the vehicle to act as a reminder. Very good idea though.

Or if you really need the fact that there's a bike on the roof of your car, get a wedge bag and
store the transmitter under the saddle!

--
Huw Pritchard | Replace bounce with huw | to reply by mail | www.secretworldgovernment.org

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > penny s <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > >. Maybe someday

> > > <SM> Also. Aye Penny - I'm more than a little aware of what makes a relationship flourish. As
> > > for 'dinging' someone,
> >
> > oops that should read "find" someone. I have one finger of one hand splinted and I'm trying to
> > edit/spellcheck everything but that one went right by...
> >
> > penny
> >

> I knew I was dinged the first time I saw my husband ;)

Fecking roadies get all the girls. ;^)

Mike - either that or he hit her in a crosswalk.

Cinder Girl wrote:

> I knew I was dinged the first time I saw my husband ;)

That'll be the rohypnol kicking in...

> penny s wrote:
>
> > oops that should read "find" someone. I have one finger of one hand splinted
>
> That's a warning to everyone to avoid kinky sex...

the best injuries are all stupidity related. Remember my friends whose kid died? I has just come
home from visiting them, exceedingly upset, sliced my left hand with a knife, proceeded to blow the
extensor tendon on my right middle finger while dabbing blood off the carpet. You can look up
"mallet finger" if you want. My kids love to say "mom quit flipping me off"!

penny

Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:03:58 +0000, Michael Dart did issue forth:
>
> >> It's easy - when you load the bike on the roof, move the garage door opener somewhere else. I
> >> just move it from one visor to the other, which is enough to remind me "something's different".
> >> Alternatively you might put it in the glovebox or other "very unusual place".
> >>

> > If it were me I'd have to lock it in the trunk. Sometimes I'm so brain
dead
> > after a ride it would take getting out of the vehicle to act as a
reminder.
> > Very good idea though.
>
> Or if you really need the fact that there's a bike on the roof of your car, get a wedge bag and
> store the transmitter under the saddle!

Sounds like a solid idea. My mate just puts a gret big sign on the bottom of the windscreen. You
could always put a sign on the door remote saying: "Watch fer the bikes ya fecking eejit!", only in
the language appropriate to your particular local, of course.......

Shaun aRe

Huw Pritchard wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:03:58 +0000, Michael Dart did issue forth:
>

>>>It's easy - when you load the bike on the roof, move the garage door opener somewhere else. I
>>>just move it from one visor to the other, which is enough to remind me "something's different".
>>>Alternatively you might put it in the glovebox or other "very unusual place".
>>>

>>If it were me I'd have to lock it in the trunk. Sometimes I'm so brain dead after a ride it would
>>take getting out of the vehicle to act as a reminder. Very good idea though.
>

> Or if you really need the fact that there's a bike on the roof of your car, get a wedge bag and
> store the transmitter under the saddle!

Yeah, but how does that help with the McDonalds drive-thru. Thankfully petrol stations almost all
have high roofs for RVs nowadays.

Greg

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

> "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > oops that should read "find" someone. I have one finger of one hand splinted and I'm trying to
> > > edit/spellcheck everything but that one
went
> > > right by...
> > >
> > > penny
> > >

> > I knew I was dinged the first time I saw my husband ;)
> >

> Fecking roadies get all the girls. ;^)
>
> Mike - either that or he hit her in a crosswalk.

Nah ... its the foreigners taking all the girls, or at least that's what my guy friends say ;) Of
course now they claim to like him better than me. Damn unfaithful friends!

CG -- it was the sexy Antonio Banderas accent :)~

Michael Dart wrote:

> Fecking roadies get all the girls. ;^)

Usually they get all the boys.

> Mike - either that or he hit her in a crosswalk.

WTF's a "crosswalk"?

penny s wrote:

> the best injuries are all stupidity related. Remember my friends whose kid died?

Er, sorry...

I has just come home from visiting them, exceedingly upset, sliced my
> left hand with a knife, proceeded to blow the extensor tendon on my right middle finger while
> dabbing blood off the carpet. You can look up "mallet finger" if you want. My kids love to say
> "mom quit flipping me off"!

Ouch!

> Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:03:58 +0000, Michael Dart did issue forth:

> > > If it were me I'd have to lock it in the trunk. Sometimes I'm so
brain
> dead
> > > after a ride it would take getting out of the vehicle to act as a
> reminder.
> > > Very good idea though.
> >
> > Or if you really need the fact that there's a bike on the roof of your car, get a wedge bag and
> > store the transmitter under the saddle!
>
> Sounds like a solid idea. My mate just puts a gret big sign on the bottom
of
> the windscreen. You could always put a sign on the door remote saying: "Watch fer the bikes ya
> fecking eejit!", only in the language appropriate
> your particular local, of course.......
>
> Shaun aRe

Somecompany was selling red flags that attached to the bottom of the garage door with the word
'bike' on it in big letters.

Mike