Why I love my wife.....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Clydesdalemtb, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    | Yeah, but how does that help with the McDonalds drive-thru. Thankfully petrol stations almost all
    | have high roofs for RVs nowadays.

    "petrol" ? WTF?

    Too much Monty Python or has LA been taken over by a bunch of pasty-skinned folks with poor dental
    hygiene and an affinity for horrible food?

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    > > Fecking roadies get all the girls. ;^)
    >
    > Usually they get all the boys.

    True but I was trying to be nice.

    > > Mike - either that or he hit her in a crosswalk.
    >
    > WTF's a "crosswalk"?

    A weak reference to Bean's Petition to keep bikes off the roads.

    > I can't even count the times that I have nearly been run over by a selfish roadie while walking
    > through the crosswalk ( that's not a joke,
    I've
    > had a lot of close calls walking to work). They are extremely dangerous
    and

    and if you really don't know it's a place to cross the street. ;^)

    Mike - or something the Romans liked to make people do a long time ago.

    BTW - Mild mannered Jonathan Harris by day, Bomba by night? (assuming work/home)

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:03:58 +0000, Michael Dart did issue forth:

    Alternatively

    > brain
    > > dead
    > > reminder.
    > > >
    > > > Or if you really need the fact that there's a bike on the roof of your car, get a wedge bag
    > > > and store the transmitter under the saddle!
    > >
    > > Sounds like a solid idea. My mate just puts a gret big sign on the
    bottom
    > of
    > > the windscreen. You could always put a sign on the door remote saying: "Watch fer the bikes ya
    > > fecking eejit!", only in the language
    appropriate
    > > your particular local, of course.......
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Somecompany was selling red flags that attached to the bottom of the
    garage
    > door with the word 'bike' on it in big letters.

    Waste of money - an old can of paint and a brush would do the job. Use the flag for a car aerial
    decoration.

    Shaun aRe

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    >
    > | Yeah, but how does that help with the McDonalds drive-thru. Thankfully petrol stations almost
    > | all have high roofs for RVs nowadays.
    >
    > "petrol" ? WTF?
    >
    > Too much Monty Python or has LA been taken over by a bunch of pasty-skinned folks with poor dental
    > hygiene and an affinity for horrible food?

    Too much Rimmer!

    Greg

    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    >
    > | Yeah, but how does that help with the McDonalds drive-thru. Thankfully petrol stations almost
    > | all have high roofs for RVs nowadays.
    >
    > "petrol" ? WTF?
    >
    > Too much Monty Python or has LA been taken over by a bunch of
    pasty-skinned
    > folks with poor dental hygiene and an affinity for horrible food?
    >

    > --
    > Pete Fagerlin

    We've already established that it's one of the side effects of spending to much time in a.m-b

    Mike

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

    > | Yeah, but how does that help with the McDonalds drive-thru. Thankfully petrol stations almost
    > | all have high roofs for RVs nowadays.
    >
    > "petrol" ? WTF?
    >
    > Too much Monty Python or has LA been taken over by a bunch of pasty-skinned folks with poor dental
    > hygiene and an affinity for horrible food?

    Ha ha. You're all being assimilated and speaking proper English.

  7. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Michael Dart wrote:
    > >
    > > > Fecking roadies get all the girls. ;^)
    > >
    > > Usually they get all the boys.
    >
    > True but I was trying to be nice.
    >

    > > > Mike - either that or he hit her in a crosswalk.
    > >
    > > WTF's a "crosswalk"?
    > >

    > A weak reference to Bean's Petition to keep bikes off the roads. and if you really don't know it's
    > a place to cross the street. ;^)
    >
    > Mike - or something the Romans liked to make people do a long time ago.
    >
    > BTW - Mild mannered Jonathan Harris by day, Bomba by night? (assuming work/home)

    now that's a SCARY thought.

    penny

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    > BTW - Mild mannered Jonathan Harris by day, Bomba by night? (assuming work/home)

    Correct. I've decided that bomba is going to be my drunken alter-ego...

  9. "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    | > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    | >
    | > | Yeah, but how does that help with the McDonalds drive-thru.
    Thankfully
    | > | petrol stations almost all have high roofs for RVs nowadays.
    | >
    | > "petrol" ? WTF?
    | >
    | > Too much Monty Python or has LA been taken over by a bunch of
    pasty-skinned
    | > folks with poor dental hygiene and an affinity for horrible food?
    | >

    | Too much Rimmer!

    Jolly good then. It's that sod's fault.

    Cheers.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    penny s wrote:

    >>BTW - Mild mannered Jonathan Harris by day, Bomba by night? (assuming work/home)
    >>

    > now that's a SCARY thought.

    I'm not that scary, am I?

  11. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    > Penny says:
    >
    > >I'd probably say, put it on the rack honey, who cares about a few mpg. Being nice to my hubby is
    > >a good thing
    >
    > Have you got a sister, Penny? Oh, wait - I'm already taken. Ah, well.......

    I'll take the sister - if she lives in Australia :)

    Trentus

  12. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    > A little more creative than that: Did you know that residential pick up is free, but the Mailboxes
    > places charge you a fee? And did you know that
    when you
    > call to schedule a pick up, YOU get to tell them what the dimensions of
    the box
    > are? It's funny, but I've never had a box measure more than 106"
    regardless of
    > how big it was....
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Andrew

    Also cheaper if you ship to a place of business than to a residence.

    Gary in VA

  13. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Jay <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Granted one would need to determine the percentage attributable to just the bike's package, but
    >this percentage, coupled with the extra shipping cost plus the higher holiday risk of the bike
    >being sent to la-la land instead of Clyde's destination, should be enough to convince most that
    >putting the bike on the car is the only option.

    I guarantee you there will be less petrochemical consumption if his SS rides down inside the big
    brown truck vs. on top of his SUV. Just like on a bike, the added weight in the UPS truck doesn't
    mean much once you get it up to speed - but the extra wind resistance of a bike on top of an SUV is
    significant, and WOULD cause extra gallons of gas to go up in flames.

  14. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:54:49 +1100, Trentus wrote:

    > And I'd be almost certain that the air resistance of a forward facing bike on a roof rack would be
    > less than the resistance from a sideways mounted bike on a rear bike beak.

    Have to agree with GT on this one - the bike in the back is riding the slipstream.

    But there's one other consideration - this is winter - ever seen how a car looks after a long winter
    trip? Totally covered with crap (and possibly salt). I was kind of glad I didn't subject my bike to
    that (take wheels off and put it IN the car).

  15. Kayak777

    Kayak777 Guest

    > But this begs the question - Truck drivers have wedges on the roof to help the air flow better up
    > and over the trailer. I wonder if someone has thought of a plastic shield to put over the front of
    > a bike on a roof rack to make it more streamlined?

    Try one of these: http://www.zzipper.com/prices.html

  16. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Jay <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Granted one would need to determine the percentage attributable to just the bike's package, but
    > >this percentage, coupled with the extra shipping cost plus the higher holiday risk of the bike
    > >being sent to la-la land instead of Clyde's destination, should be enough to convince most that
    > >putting the bike on the car is the only option.
    >
    > I guarantee you there will be less petrochemical consumption if his SS rides down inside the big
    > brown truck vs. on top of his SUV. Just like on a bike, the added weight in the UPS truck doesn't
    > mean much once you get it up to speed - but the extra wind resistance of a bike on top of an SUV
    > is significant, and WOULD cause extra gallons of gas to go up in flames.

    That and the truck is going that way anyway whether Clyde's bike is on it or not.

    Mike

  17. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >And the next question, what do ppl do with bikes on a roof rack, to stop themselves accidentally
    > >driving into the garage with the bike on the
    roof.

    > It's easy - when you load the bike on the roof, move the garage door opener somewhere else. I just
    > move it from one visor to the other, which is enough to remind me "something's different".
    > Alternatively you might put it in the glovebox or other "very unusual place".

    ROFLMAO I don't even have a DOOR on my garage (I drove into the garage with a luggage box on the
    roof racks and trashed the roll-a-door) I certainly don't have an OPENER!!! And after six months of
    waiting for a sparky friend -who I've already given a down payment :( - to come and put electricity
    out to the garage, all to no avail. I'm beginning to think I'll never get a door opener unless it's
    battery operated ;)

    Trentus

  18. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    > My friend is working on a patent for a device that will never let you forget your bike is on top.

    What? A framework that sticks the bike mount out in front of you where you can't miss seeing it
    hanging over the bonnet? ("hood" for those in the "Good Ole US of A"). This is just about the only
    device that will NEVER let you forget...

    I think what I'll actually do, as I don't have a door, is put a large red/white safety tape on one
    side of the garage and everytime I put the bike on the roof-rack, I'll pull this tape across the
    opening of the garage. This way I'll not be able to drive in to the garage.

    Regarding the idea of hiding or moving the remote for the door opener, I have a friend who makes
    sure he doesn't forget to turn off his headlights if he puts them on for fog or rain, by locking
    his drivers door. When he goes to open the door, and finds it locked, it reminds him to turn off
    the lights.

    Trentus

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > cares
    > not
    > > >
    > > > The only thing which tops it is to have a woman as much into the sport
    > as
    > > I.
    > >
    > > Aye - the woman I'm seeing at the moment is as much into the sport as
    me.
    > > She doesn't much care for mountainbiking though.
    > >
    > > > Paradise I tell ya...
    > >
    > > Try telling that to my aching bollox.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe does a great John Wayne impersonation.
    >
    > I was referring to the sport *at* hand...

    Oh, I gave that up when I found her......

    Shaun aRe threw out the magazines too....

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Jonathan Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    <snipped>

    > > but it's a big world, and we are many types. </SM>
    >
    > Someone pass the bucket...

    WTF is wrong with that JH? Ego is something to be built up, and torn down, for purposes of 'fun'.
    Carrying a hard arsed shell like that into real life doesn't appeal to me at all. heart and soul are
    _real_ things, but I'm sure you knew that anyhow. ',;~}

    See, I'm not scared if you lot think I'm a soft fucker, or if my words make ya wanna puke - all the
    better ',;~}

    Heheheheheh......

    Shaun aRe thinks JH is protesting because he's scared of people finding out he's really a romantic
    at heart....