Why in the "F" do you ride SS or Fixie? Freaks!

duskins

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,

I ride a 2004 Bianchi S.A.S.S. and I love it. I love my bike more than most friends, girls, some family (jk?) and lots of other stuff, yet I have no idea why. If I could ride my bike instead of get paid going to work. . . well, I'd go to work than ride my bike so I had money, but you understand my point. I don't commute. I only get to ride for fun. Drunken bicycling to me is a sport. Jumping **** downtown, out of town, in the mountains off of mountains, thru the river, whatever, is also one big sport to me. I love beating the living it shay out of my bike, and I adore that it never fails me aside the damn tubes popping every other week (my fault, not my bikes fault). (I will fail, before my bike will fail).

Why do you ride your bike, b!tch?

duskins said:
Hi,

I ride a 2004 Bianchi S.A.S.S. and I love it. I love my bike more than most friends, girls, some family (jk?) and lots of other stuff, yet I have no idea why. If I could ride my bike instead of get paid going to work. . . well, I'd go to work than ride my bike so I had money, but you understand my point. I don't commute. I only get to ride for fun. Drunken bicycling to me is a sport. Jumping **** downtown, out of town, in the mountains off of mountains, thru the river, whatever, is also one big sport to me. I love beating the living it shay out of my bike, and I adore that it never fails me aside the damn tubes popping every other week (my fault, not my bikes fault). (I will fail, before my bike will fail).

man, i can do all that s*** u were jus chattin bout on my single speed. i found it in a bleedin bush!!! polished it up a little an its wicked. never fails me. an if i wanna hav a bit of comfort i jus sit back an take it in. although sayin that, i dnt think it realy compares to my modified Kona fire mountain... thatrs a true beast, indestructable! mayb when im older i'l resort to a car?! hahaa

I ride my SS, because its fast, looks great and it very fun. Love that thing
biggrin.gif

duskins said:
Hi,

I love it, love it, love it. You sound as if you'd like the Outcast, a SS mag. Drunken cycling is their middle name:

http://www.yesweareontheweb.com/outcast/index.html

i just got my first fixie this spring, IRO mark v, and its awesome.
i'm a little sketchy on it, keep wanting to coast and pose, but that is slowly disappearing. totally converted, don't know why i waited so long to get one...

I got my Bianchi San Jose two weeks ago, and it is quickly becoming my favorite ride. It doesn't slow me down all that much over my roadie, yet it seems to grab more love and attention than the road bike. I'm in the process of upgrading the thing (yes, a never ending task).

The freedom and the simplicity, and the cool factor. I've never had drivers asking about my bike before...

simple man, I got tired of tweaking shifters, gears, chains, chainrings blah blah blah - singlespeed manh...feel the flow manh, no problams manh....

Now cutting out the patios....it is simplistic. I ride without having to worry about drive train issues.

vtw

SS and Fixies are only similar in weight savings and lack of drivetrain issues. A fixed gear requires your complete attention at least on some level. Forget you're on a fixie and it'll slap you back into the real world. Get your fingers near a spinning cog or chainring and it'll hand them back to you. Great rides with just rider and bike without having to worry about what anyone else thinks. And nothing climbs or descends like a fixie. Ready to ride with almost nothing to go wrong, except maybe pilot error, and we're always in control of that. uh huh.

Oi. I love ss because I don't think about my bike, I just ride it. ;) Wow, getting my fingers handed back to me after getting stuck in a cog on a fixie? sounds like fun. uh... Yep.

:p

I ride fixed because to go faster, you pedal faster, to get up a hill, you pedal harder. It's a direct connection. I love all biking, but my fixed gear is both my cheapest and most favorite steed.

How about as an alternative to a rain beater?? When it rains you break out the fixie?? For a newbie, is it easy to hurt yourself on fixed gear in very hilly roads? What I mean is by the need ot ride that single speed up steep rollers or down steep hills that youd hit 45 to 50 mph on a muti-geared bike? Seriousely-Ive never ridden one and Id love to know!! I see myself going 40mph and my legs going at a 250 cadence and then seeing blood start coming out where my legs used to be attached to my hips!!

I've hit over 200 rpm on some downhills, but you get used to it. As far as uphill, it can be a struggle, but you quickly learn to build up speed and cadence before the hill, and then power over it. If you ever get in trouble going down, use a brake to slow down. Some purists say no brakes, but I run a front one for emergencies and to allow for better riding in a pack. Trust me, try fixed and you'll love it.

Because simplicity is good. Less stuff to break. I don't have one anymore, but maybe I can make another someday soon.

People ask me this all the time. My answer, for the millionth time, is because chicks dig it.

I enjoy riding my fixed San Jose because I'm able to just get on and ride. Because it's only got one gear, I'm not worrying about going faster, or maintaining a certain cadence, etc.; I'm just out riding.

Because you can't coast, it's a good workout, or can be if you want.

I've ridden with a geared roadie and we kept a good pace for several miles before he turned to go another direction. Me, I headed back to my starting point for a group ride with other roadies. No, I didn't ride fixed for that, wouldn't be able to keep pace with those guys with a 42-16.

I enjoy riding fixed, gears, mtb., etc. It's all good. I test rode a Bianchi Milano
the other day and had a blast.

i converted my ride to fixed for training, and then just fell in luv wit it and kept it that way. then i learnt backwards-circles and fell in luv all over again!

there's no better feeling than (back)pedaling down a huge hill without using a mechanical brake... getting a workout every inch of the ride is the best training there is.

ghostpedal said:
It's a direct connection. I love all biking, but my fixed gear is both my cheapest and most favorite steed.
Besides the benefits I reap on the track, there is a real connection to a SS bike. I feel much more in tune and control of my SS than I do my numerous road or MTB bikes.

Unless you wimp out on the gearing, even a SS can give you a lot better workout than you might think, especially on the climbs. You'll reach for the shifter a bit when you first start riding one.

The bike is simple to keep up and maintain, and with some forgiving tires makes a great commuter. On the right bike, with the fit dialed in, it is about as fun a way to ride as there is.

Riding fixed takes a bit more concentration and commitment, especially on a commute, mostly due to having to plan ahead and not zone out as has been said. There isn't any off time in your ride that's for sure. It's weird when you find yourself working harder on the back sides of the rollers than you did on the climbs. Fixed is definitely a great way to get the most out of your training rides.

The looks that your bike will get are pretty funny. I like to watch folks trying to figure out where your gears are. You can point to your legs and say, "They're right here." :D

rule62 said:
The looks that your bike will get are pretty funny. I like to watch folks trying to figure out where your gears are. You can point to your legs and say, "They're right here." :D
NICE!:)

I ride a singlespeed simply because I got annoyed with my old ten speed before I got out of cycling, and when I got back into it I found an old Murray laying in a junkyard for $20, and it worked right on the spot. (I did do some tweaking and tuning, but for the most part, the only thing different from when I got it is the chain.)

I like that it really makes you work to get up the hills, and even a slight grade can really make the legs burn. Then, when you get to the top, just let the bike roll while you rest, lol. No gearing up or down, no "Oh geez, the chain jumped off" , no hassle. Just good fun, and good exercise. Plus, the majority of malfunctions can be repaired in the field without losing much flesh off my hands.

(Am looking at replacing the brake, I've never been a fan of jabbing the pedal backwards to put on the binders!)