Why is America incapable of producing a decent sports car?

thoughtforfood said:
It is one of the most competitive racing series in NASA. I would say that for the money, it is hard to beat the performance of the cars if you want to race...and go really fast. I would suggest learning a little about their company before making the decision as tury-key cars are an option. They are on par with Superperformance in the area of kits.
I race a '84 Rabbit GTi FSP/ITB car, so track cars are for people who want to play racing. The topic was American sports cars, and there was no limit in the initial question. I just complied a list. I thought I would get a bit of **** for the Pontiac Solstice than the Factory Five. Of course if you check out the SCCA Solo National Championships, you will see that the Pontiac kicks ass in Stock.

thoughtforfood said:
I race a '84 Rabbit GTi FSP/ITB car, so track cars are for people who want to play racing. The topic was American sports cars, and there was no limit in the initial question. I just complied a list. I thought I would get a bit of **** for the Pontiac Solstice than the Factory Five. Of course if you check out the SCCA Solo National Championships, you will see that the Pontiac kicks ass in Stock.
A few years ago I took up cycling, and then track cycling.(much cheaper)Top of the line ride for $7000. I have no cars left and am starting to win in the 45-49 age group. The last car I had was an AIX mustang that never got raced. I am considering a cheap AI mustang set up for autocross, but I give myself a reality slap when I consider writing checks again.Maybe next year:rolleyes: The thing that drew me to Factory Five was the ability to run with a 911 GT2 for under $40,000 ..and that I have no regard for my hearing:)

I just realized that I know practically nothing about American sports cars. But as is typical of forums, it didn't stop me from expressing an opinion, no matter how near to worthless it was.

American auto history, to the layman, is stereotypically concentrated on drag racing, and stock car racing. Mostly straight line or circuit track. Stereotypically, when you think of European sports cars, you think of taut suspensions on winding German mountain roads, Italian testosterone-enhancing chick magnets, and formula one racing.

Crankyfeet said:
I just realized that I know practically nothing about American sports cars. But as is typical of forums, it didn't stop me from expressing an opinion, no matter how near to worthless it was.

American auto history, to the layman, is stereotypically concentrated on drag racing, and stock car racing. Mostly straight line or circuit track. Stereotypically, when you think of European sports cars, you think of taut suspensions on winding German mountain roads, Italian testosterone-enhancing chick magnets, and formula one racing.
Your stereotype is accurate to a degree, but ther are many road courses in the U.S. also. Daytona for example has the big stock car track but also a road race style track that is used in events such as the Rolex 24. If I had to guess, I would say the most active race scene in the U.S., would be autocross. Mostly club events with lots of turns) I think that American car bashers like to compare cars such as Ferrari and Porsche to "American" sports cars. They do it by first pissing on the Corvette and have likely never driven it or any of the exotic Euro stuff either. Most of the bashers are guys that read Top Gear in the dentist office and are cycling forums resident experts on sports cars. That said my buddie has a 07 911 GT2 that I would give my big toe to own:) Very cool avitar BTW

Billsworld said:
Your stereotype is accurate to a degree, but ther are many road courses in the U.S. also. Daytona for example has the big stock car track but also a road race style track that is used in events such as the Rolex 24. If I had to guess, I would say the most active race scene in the U.S., would be autocross. Mostly club events with lots of turns) I think that American car bashers like to compare cars such as Ferrari and Porsche to "American" sports cars. They do it by first pissing on the Corvette and have likely never driven it or any of the exotic Euro stuff either. Most of the bashers are guys that read Top Gear in the dentist office and are cycling forums resident experts on sports cars. That said my buddie has a 07 911 GT2 that I would give my big toe to own:) Very cool avitar BTW

Did you get to test drive it?!?

might want to look at every car carroll shelby built. the shelby corba ended ferrari winning streak way back. and his newer stuff is sweet

And he (Shelby) had a hand in the GT40, one of the coolest cars ever. Peoples impressions of American sports car comes down to history and marketing, the Europeans have been making quality top end cars for longer and marketing them extensively. Likewise if you want the best 4x4 money can buy most would think of American brands - Dodge Ram, F150's, Jeep's. Thats the way I see it from New Zealand.

Cycler6n said:
Did you get to test drive it?!?
Yes but just toodling around. I wouldnt drive it hard unless I had some serious time in it and could afford to replace it . 911s (at least the older ones) are funky to accelerate out of corners. His is lightly tuned and is about 100 hp over stock. put put put. I looked sexy driving it though:) He has a Lambo Merciolago ??? in Florida too. I hope to try it out on a straight flat road this winter. AWD 580 hp I think

Billsworld said:
He has a Lambo Merciolago... I hope to try it out on a straight flat road this winter. AWD 580 hp I think
There you go. Feeding the stereotype Billsy.:p

Wouldn't you rather race around a winding race track or on a desolate winding road, than just gun it in a straight line, like a dragster?:D

I'm just joking.

Crankyfeet said:
There you go. Feeding the stereotype Billsy.:p

Wouldn't you rather race around a winding race track or on a desolate winding road, than just gun it in a straight line, like a dragster?:D

I'm just joking.
Yes, but I havnt driven in anger in a long time, and nevr in a $300,000 car. I had about $20,000 into my last car and didnt mind abusing it. If I broke it , all the parts would go right into another shell. Not sure, but I bet a tune up on a Lambo is $5,000, Never mind a wrinkle in the fender:)

Hey, America is a great country. Home of apple pie, baseball, and turning left as fast as you can with beer sponsors picking up the tab. Who cares if we make boring sports cars? We can't knock the European's supremacy for creating fabulous sports cars and charging double for them. That little bit of extra performance is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. I'll take an overpriced Ferrari driving circles around a Corvette every time if I can afford it.

jhuskey said:
Don't forget the Viper. Fastest through the quarter mile.
most race tracks are longer than a 1/4 mile so the Viper would be goosed in a real race. BTW Happy new year....

damn, its February already.

I would say the only decent sports car that the US has produced recently is the Ford GT. Its fast and mean in anyones book and is genuinely capable of competing with the likes of Lamborghini, Zonda and Ferrari. Pity it has a Ford badge on the front, the main reason why people (who can afford it) prefer thier more exotic variety.

Lots of good links to the car but i like this pic best

http://www.stangbangers.com/05_FordGT_Wallpaper.jpg

I believe the body is based on an original British design that eventially became the GT40. The British AC Cobra eventually became the Shelby Cobra. A nice car indeed.

lance_armstrong said:
Hey, America is a great country. Home of apple pie, baseball, and turning left as fast as you can with beer sponsors picking up the tab. Who cares if we make boring sports cars? We can't knock the European's supremacy for creating fabulous sports cars and charging double for them. That little bit of extra performance is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. I'll take an overpriced Ferrari driving circles around a Corvette every time if I can afford it.
) 08 zr1. Of the entire Ferrari line how many can out run that?