Why is Doping Bad?

Discussion in 'Doping in Cycling' started by Patrick1983, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Patrick1983

Patrick1983 New Member

Seriously, i look at the papers when a doping scandal breaks and they are like salivating hounds.

Look at the problem in a balanced manner.....
    Why should one rider(LArmstrong) be held accountable for something they all do. You'd swear the way David Walsh and Kimmage go on about him that he was the only one doing it.

Lets look at some facts:EPO is safe if taken in the right dosages. The danger is abusing it and overdosing. Much more likely to happen when the rider takes it on his own rather than thru legit sources (Doctors etc...).

Do people believe drugs are unfair advantage? Maybe Disc wheels are an unfair advantage.
    I'd say Discoverys budget compared to the smaller teams is an unfair advantage so why dont we ban money too ;)

when riders enter the peleton, they dream of making the top and soon realise that sport in general is not about dreams and that to compete they have to dope.
    The UCI and WADA are talking shops who contribute nothing to the solution. Why should a rider stay clean and sacrifice his potential to play on a level playing field when the authorities do nothing to help him/her.

I see no reasonable and logical reason why taking these substances cant be legalised and distributed thru legal sources and means.

Tags:

2. Patrick1983

Patrick1983 New Member

I dont want to be seen as Pro-Doping,
    I as much as the next guy would love to see clean sport and that is something which the UCI and WADA should fight tooth and nail for, just not at the expense of riders who are more or less forced into doping through the circumstances they face rather than the choices they have.

its seems to me that banning individual riders is a waste of time. The teams just get rid of them like black sheep and the rider takes all the flack. Maybe banning teams is the way to go. It would place all the pressure on management to make sure there ship was a clean one.

3. Borg

Borg New Member

Man...this is cycling. Cyclists have doped since the first time the Tour de France was contested (in one form or another) and probably before that. I accept that pretty much most of the pro peleton have or are doping and defy anyone to refute the litany of evidence pointing to the riders' guilt. I think the best way is to accept it as part of a sport which is inherently dangerous in every respect so adding a drug cocktail to the mix is simply another intrinsic facet of the sport so many of us are obsessed with and we have to accept this as a given, dangerous or not. Trying to clean it up is a useless folly as the dopers are almost always ahead of the authorities trying to curtail the activity. It is somewhat akin to trying to maintain absolute vigilance against computer fraud/viruses etc: a battle that is almost impossible to win...

Personally, I don't care if a rider dopes or had been caught doping. Accept the sport for what it is...dope riddled. Always has been and always will be while the stakes are so high. I fully believe that Armstrong, Ullie, Basso, Salvodelli et al have all dabbled at some point or another and I don't really care...it doesn't make the sport any less brutal. To the naysayers that still think Lance never doped, do the research and face the truth. It stil does not detract from my opinion of him as a brilliant rider...Pro cycling and drug-use/doping are symbiotic.

If doping was completely eradicated (if it was possible) I would suggest average speeds at the Tour would decline somewhat...clipless pedals, aerodynamics and training methods can only do so much. We are looking at human race-horses on bikes. Just accept the dope I say and stop living in dream-land. People still watch the WWF...let pro-cycling entertain and don't get too hung-up about the dope...it's there, in hotel-rooms, girlfriend and team-directors' cars, sold on the semi-pro streets of Belgium and the veins of the riders.

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Why is doping bad? That's easy - it kills you.

In the 90's heyday of EPO, cyclists in their 20's were dropping dead from heart attacks in their sleep, because their heart couldn't push the overthickened blood when at a resting state.

HGH causes the body to grow in weird ways - look at the size of Barry Bonds head today. And it isn't an extension of an oversized ego.

Testosterone and steroids, in large amounts, really screw with the emotional state, and can cause cancer. It is widely held that the brain cancer that killed Lyle Alzado came from years of steroid use. Cycling isn't alone, pro football players in the US have been doping since the inception of the sport, a practice endorsed and probably demanded by the team management. US baseball is just now getting a little exposure on its doping practices. I would suspect that other endurance sports such as running have a doping problem, but they haven't attracted the huge revenues that cycling does, so it hasn't become a public issue.

In essence, high tech doping turns a pro athlete into a gladiator, giving up their life (or a long life, anyway) for a few years of fame while entertaining the masses. It creeps up on you, dope a little today, the next person uses a newer dope, you escalate just to stay competitive, and the next thing you know, you have a 70% hematocrit and you're dead. But that's what happens when the rewards tempt people to toss their better judgment. Millions are at stake, and that corrupts just about anyone.

Yes, it's an endless battle, the latest biotech against the latest test. But, that's the way it has to be, unless you're ready to chuck it all and enjoy a sport that kills people. I won't be so naive as to say that current doping controls have stopped the practice, but at least it puts some limits on what is going on. And so the war continues... enjoy.

5. navygreen

navygreen New Member

I'd like to see some serious tightening of dope-screenings in the bigger events. I sure as hell will never dope. It's just plain stupid.... imho

6. cheapie

cheapie New Member

actually football has had testing for steriods and other drugs for much longer than baseball has. they have been FAR more pro-active about it than baseball.

7. Aranesp

Aranesp New Member

Why is doping bad?

Expensive. Riders fork out all their dough for medication

Dangerous. Medication has numerous adverse effects. With no limits to EPO use- hematocrit levels will be pushed to levels where its a toss up between surviving the post-race night and winning.

Different technology and availability influences performance. People are more interested in ranking based on talent solely. Interest will drop.

8. jamesdemien

jamesdemien New Member

Do you think if I was all doped up Universal Soldier style I could beat Lance...No...

Do you think those dudes eat Advil like Skittles at the end of the day...Yes...

I've never used steroids or EPO or anything like that... I've smoked some weed before skiing or mountainbiking and its made me faster...but these dudes are at the top of thier game... are we any less impressed if they're using...maybe. Do little kids think the only way to get fast is to use...maybe.

Why not just donate you're own blood to yourself throughout the year and have only the red cells transfused before the race...

I don't think that doping is good or bad...however if there is a rule against it and these guys sign up to ride the race and abide by the rules then they should. There will always be ways to cheat and there will always be cheaters.

9. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

smoking weed made you faster? in what way? That is not what I would expect to hear.

10. navygreen

navygreen New Member

I'd bet money that it doesn't help. If it did, it would be a well-known fact on the boards. Besides, it's a hallucinagen.

Then again while on the subject... I noticed in my earlier days of "experimenting".... it did cause my heart to beat significantly faster so there is definitely a noticeable physical effect, but I can't imagine some alien chemical causing your heart to beat faster at rest would increase your abilities rather than decrease them.

11. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

Yeah that's why I asked the question. I realize that to a certain extent it will make you focus entirely on one thing, but the fact is your mind and body doesn't react as well...regardless of how focused you may be.

Perhaps it even negates some fear on a particularly nasty decent?

That's the only way I can see it making you faster in any sense of the word though. I think that speed also would come with a highly increased possibility of injury.

Still, I'm curious as to why the poster has the opinion he does.