Why is everybody using Oozo Pro forks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> One of my favorite aluminum aircraft stories involves the venerable
>> DC3. After they had been in service a while, the maintenance engineers were baffled by little
>> dents in the aisle's flooring. It looked like someone had spent hours with a little bitty
>> ball peen hammer, banging little dimples all over the place.
>>
>> Finally someone did some calculations on the pressure exerted by a woman's spike heels when
>> walking down the aisle (and in a DC3, you DO walk "down" half the time since it's a tail
>> dragger). Problem identified (if not exactly "solved").
>
>Mark, the last time I was in a DC-3 the floor was plywood. Is that the normal floor???

It's been a long time since I was in a '3 (LONG after they were introduced), but I'm betting the
plywood was added to prevent the dimples.

I once took a buddy to the Key West airport, after he had a few drinks. He walked up the steps,
stepped into the plane, and fell toward the tail (he hadn't ever been in a tail dragger before), and
was caught by a stewardess (apparently this happens a lot in Key West).

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> One of my favorite aluminum aircraft stories involves the venerable
>>> DC3.

> I once took a buddy to the Key West airport, after he had a few drinks. He walked up the steps,
> stepped into the plane, and fell toward the tail (he hadn't ever been in a tail dragger before),
> and was caught by a stewardess (apparently this happens a lot in Key West).

I remember watching the passenger across the aisle freak out when they started the port engine. He
thought the wing was on fire and didn't accept the stewardess's explanation of it as normal...

Hey, was your Key West DC3 run by PBA?

mike

--
Mike Fischbein [email protected] Any opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of any other
entity. They may not even be mine.

--------------090607030503020906040906 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I only flew in a DC3 once, I think in 1968. What I remember best is that you could open the windows
in the plane. Do I remember correctly?

MOO, Matt

Michael Fischbein wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>
>
>
>>>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>>
>>>>One of my favorite aluminum aircraft stories involves the venerable
>>>>DC3.
>>>>
>>>>
>
>
>
>>I once took a buddy to the Key West airport, after he had a few drinks. He walked up the steps,
>>stepped into the plane, and fell toward the tail (he hadn't ever been in a tail dragger before),
>>and was caught by a stewardess (apparently this happens a lot in Key West).
>>
>>
>
>I remember watching the passenger across the aisle freak out when they started the port engine. He
>thought the wing was on fire and didn't accept the stewardess's explanation of it as normal...
>
>Hey, was your Key West DC3 run by PBA?
>
> mike
>
>
>

--------------090607030503020906040906 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <title></title>
</head> <body> I only flew in a DC3 once, I think in 1968. What I remember best is that you
could open the windows in the plane. Do I remember correctly?<br> <br> MOO,<br> Matt<br> <br>
Michael Fischbein wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
wrap="">Mark Hickey <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote: </pre> <blockquote
type="cite"> <pre wrap="">"A Muzi" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote: </pre> </blockquote> <pre
wrap=""><!----> </pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">"Mark Hickey"
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a>
wrote in message <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:6egkcvss02kmet390slbo5uvnjtil6eouv@4ax-
.com">news:[email protected]</a>... </pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre
wrap="">One of my favorite aluminum aircraft stories involves the venerable
DC3.</pre> </blockquote> </blockquote> </blockquote> <pre wrap=""><!----> </pre> <blockquote
type="cite"> <pre wrap="">I once took a buddy to the Key West airport, after he had a few
drinks. He walked up the steps, stepped into the plane, and fell toward the tail (he hadn't ever
been in a tail dragger before), and was caught by a stewardess (apparently this happens a lot in
Key West). </pre> </blockquote> <pre wrap=""><!----> I remember watching the passenger across
the aisle freak out when they started the port engine. He thought the wing was on fire and
didn't accept the stewardess's explanation of it as normal...

Hey, was your Key West DC3 run by PBA?

mike

</pre> </blockquote> <br> </body> </html>

--------------090607030503020906040906--

Michael Fischbein <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I once took a buddy to the Key West airport, after he had a few drinks. He walked up the steps,
>> stepped into the plane, and fell toward the tail (he hadn't ever been in a tail dragger before),
>> and was caught by a stewardess (apparently this happens a lot in Key West).
>
>I remember watching the passenger across the aisle freak out when they started the port engine. He
>thought the wing was on fire and didn't accept the stewardess's explanation of it as normal...

Heh heh heh... yeah, the lower cylinders on those old radials fill up with lots o' oil that's gotta
be burnt off. I remember flying in a DC3 from Key West to Miami and watching the oil stream back
over the engine cowling. I couldn't get worried though - I figured if the thing had been flying for
50 years, it wasn't likely to pick that particular afternoon to fall out of the sky.

>Hey, was your Key West DC3 run by PBA?

I believe it was.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Almost all carbon forks come from Taiwan ?

Sorry, but the entire design, manufacture and distribution of Time, LOOK, and GIRS is done from the
Hexagon, exclusively. I believe Time or LOOK has just announced a manufacturing facility going up in
Tunisia.You can tour the factories if you like, on prior request. Probably others that I just didn't
think to add.

BTW, Tunisia is not distant from our southern coast. Lots closer than the far east.

At the time I bought my Kestrel (1995), they had just moved frame manufacture to Japan, but kept
fork production in the US.

"Richard Chan" <[email protected]> a écrit dans
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > When I bought my Merlin the standard spec'd fork was the Time Equipe Pro but I notice today that
> > nearly all high end bikes (sans Colnago) are
using
> > these very beefy Oozo Pro forks.
>
> Not sure what you mean by nearly all high end bikes use Reynolds. My last "informal" tally shows
> Mizuno rules. Other "high end" MFG'ers use generic Taiwan made for better margin. Come to think of
> it, almost all carbon forks are Taiwan made including my Mizuno's. Not sure why but Mizuno is not
> easy to get in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.