Why is frt brake on LH side?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Destroy, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destroy

Destroy Guest

Being a long time and avid motorcyclist and newish mtn biker, I gotta wonder who the idiot was that
    decided the frt brakes on these 2 vehicles should be on opposite sides?

Being that I have ridden motorcycle 10X more than mtn bike, in a panic situation it takes a lot on
    concentration to be sure I hit the proper brake on my mtn bike. Normal braking isn't a problem
    really, just panic stops (which isn't often thank goodness).

I'd switch them over but the brakes on my mtn bike (Liquid 10) are hydraulic. Is there a way to
    switch hyd brake from side to side?

Tags:

2. Michael Dart

Michael Dart Guest

"Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Being a long time and avid motorcyclist and newish mtn biker, I gotta wonder who the idiot was
    > that decided the frt brakes on these 2 vehicles should be on opposite sides?
    >
    > Being that I have ridden motorcycle 10X more than mtn bike, in a panic situation it takes a lot on
    > concentration to be sure I hit the proper brake on my mtn bike. Normal braking isn't a problem
    > really, just panic stops (which isn't often thank goodness).
    >
    > I'd switch them over but the brakes on my mtn bike (Liquid 10) are hydraulic. Is there a way to
    > switch hyd brake from side to side?
    >

Depends on what brakes you have. If you have Hayes newer 'flip-flop' type levers you can simply swap
    them over. If not you may have to take the hose loose at the lever/master cylinder and swap hoses
    and re-bleed them. You may also have to cut the end off the hoses and use new compression bushings
    since they are only good once. But either way it's definitely doable.

Since bicycles were around long before the motorcycle I'd say it was the 'idiot' that invented the
    motorcycle who got things mixed up. ;^)

Mike - not a motorcyclist but I play one on my DH bike. ;^p

3. Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer Guest

> Being a long time and avid motorcyclist and newish mtn biker, I gotta wonder who the idiot was
    >
    > Being that I have ridden motorcycle 10X more than mtn bike, in a panic situation it takes a lot on
    > concentration to be sure I hit the proper brake on my mtn bike. Normal braking isn't a problem
    >
    > I'd switch them over but the brakes on my mtn bike (Liquid 10) are hydraulic. Is there a way to

There are different conventions depening on where you are. In the UK, the front brake is on the
    right hand lever - in continental Europe it's on the left. I found this out when I lent my old GT
    Tequesta to a French housemate - he came back looking like an extra from a slasher flick. How we
    laughed. This doesn't really answer your question, I suppose, but I figure front brake needs the
    strongest hand which (unless you're some kind of wierdo freak left hander person) is the right one.

You can swap them over easily enough provided the brakes are the same make and model. Disconnect the
    hoses from the levers and swap them over, then bleed the system thoroughly.

Andy Chequer

4. Mark \

Mark \ Guest

>
    >
    >

Depends on the country too, here in the UK bikes have the front brake on the RHS same as motorbikes,
    makes life a bit easier and seems much more logical to me...

Presuming that your hydro hoses have enough slack to switch sides, you'll just have to disconnect
    them at the lever and more them across, reattach and then re-bleed the system. How to do that
    depends on what brakes you have.

Mark

5. Westie

Westie Guest

"Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]wister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
    >
    >
    >

New Zealand and Australia both have the front brake on the RHS on both bikes and motorcycles. You
    could just remove and reattach the hydraulic hoses. How easy that is depends on the brand.
    --
    Westie

6. Paul Cassel

Paul Cassel Guest

Destroy wrote:
    >
    I ride a motorcycle so just switched my push bike brake levers side to side. Why ask when you can
    make things the way you want them?

-paul

7. Di

Di Guest

Where were you when they had the meeting to discuss where to put the brake lever?

8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    > "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Being a long time and avid motorcyclist and newish mtn biker, I gotta wonder who the idiot was
    > > that decided the frt brakes on these 2 vehicles should be on opposite sides?
    >
    > Where were you when they had the meeting to discuss where to put the brake lever?
    >
    >
    >

Why isn't my rear brake operated by a pedal damn it!?
    --

9. Mattb

Mattb Guest

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    <snip>
    >
    > New Zealand and Australia both have the front brake on the RHS on both
    bikes
    > and motorcycles. You could just remove and reattach the hydraulic hoses. How easy that is depends
    > on the brand.
    > --
    > Westie
    >

Yes, I learned this the hard way while visiting my cousins in WA a few years ago. I tried to lock up
    and slide the rear wheel on a hired bike on Rotto. I definitely made an impression on the cousins
    (as well as myself) but not the sort I was intending.

Matt

10. Jd

Jd Guest

Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

I can tell you who did that. Someone who wanted to watch the more feeble-minded flail about.
    I've been riding motorcycles about ten years longer than mountain biking and it's never been an
    issue for me.

JD

11. stubacca

stubacca New Member

I'm with ya, bud. Very confusing to get used to. Compounded for me since I grew up in Australia with right-hand front brakes on bicycles.

My road bike was bought in Oz, so has a right-hand front brake. I just bought a new mountain bike in the US, and found the right-hand rear brake weird at first. But now that I'm doing more mountain biking, it seems pretty logical - most people have a stronger right hand, so may as well have the brake you use most on the right-hand-side. Since I use the front brake more on the road bike, I'm leaving both sets of brakes as they are. Hasn't confused me yet!

12. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

Destroy wrote:

>
    >

Hey, the first time that I road a (British?) motorcycle with the shifter and brake reversed, I had a
    FEW SMALL problems :).

But, I have no problem switching back and forth between bikes and motorcycles -- I guess it's a
    matter of what I'm on? I don't even need to think about it. But, you can also just switch the cables
    (as long as you don't go for the "clutch" :). If you do, you might want to hide if you loan it do
    someone :).

David

13. Tlacatecatl

Tlacatecatl Guest

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 4:32:07 -0700, Destroy wrote:

>
    >

Everything you wanted to know about the whys and wherefores of which brake is where and when to
    use which.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Short answer: There probably is no good reason why in some countries the front brake is on the left
    and in other countries it's on the right.

Tlacatecatl Tlacaxipe

14. "stubacca" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > wrote:
    > > > Being a long time and avid motorcyclist and newish mtn biker, I
    gotta
    > > > wonder who the idiot was that decided the frt brakes on these 2 vehicles should be on
    > > > opposite sides?
    > > I can tell you who did that. Someone who wanted to watch the more feeble-minded flail about.
    > > I've been riding motorcycles about ten
    years
    > > longer than mountain biking and it's never been an issue for me.
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm with ya, bud. Very confusing to get used to. Compounded for me since I grew up in Australia
    > with right-hand front brakes on bicycles.
    >
    > My road bike was bought in Oz, so has a right-hand front brake. I just bought a new mountain bike
    > in the US, and found the right-hand rear brake weird at first. But now that I'm doing more
    > mountain biking, it seems pretty logical - most people have a stronger right hand, so may as well
    > have the brake you use most on the right-hand-side

Theres something wrong with this statement...

15. Cameron

Cameron Guest

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "stubacca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > My road bike was bought in Oz, so has a right-hand front brake. I just bought a new mountain
    > > bike in the US, and found the right-hand rear brake weird at first. But now that I'm doing more
    > > mountain biking, it seems pretty logical - most people have a stronger right hand, so may as
    > > well have the brake you use most on the right-hand-side
    >
    > Theres something wrong with this statement...
    >

When a newbie to riding, I lost a lot of blood to figure it out....

--
    Cameron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.