Why Is It....

Bill Wheeler

Guest
That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?

...except for Clyde and his Redline.

I'm just curious, I really have no idea why SS's seem to be virtually free of crazy defects.

Is it the way they're ridden? I bet most people with single speeds don't dare to take the off road.

That must be it, SS's never break because they're not ridden as hard as other "non SS" bikes. Damn,
I've uncovered the mystery.

When I break my SS, I think my post will go something like this;

That's right, nothing, 'cause it won't happen. Please someone post a valid SS problem. Give me
something to really enjoy reading. I'm sick and tired of the old, blown shock this or blown shock
that, rear derailleur won't do this or won't do that, chain suck here chain suck there, blown shift
here blown shift there, should I go XTR or XT, what's mega mean?, ...yada friggin' yada.

When will you all start getting it?! Stop wasting hordes of your well earn, hard fought for money on
"non SS" POS's. You've all been hyped, bamboozled, gas lighted, tricked, suckered, snookered,
mesmerized, hypnotized ... into believing that you need a "non SS"

The best thing you can do is take that "non SS" bike to the top floor of some building and throw it
out the window why yelling, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" (Network)

For goodness sake take a look at yourself, do you feel anger while reading this? If you answered yes
to this that's because you may have just realized the errors of your ways. Do you think perhaps Bill
has finally gone off the deep end? If you answered yes to this then OPEN YOUR EYES people. Stand up
and be counted, leave the masses behind. Get out and ride on your new SS, bought or built, you'll
find it a pure joy.

I'm done.

RIP: Ride In Peace,

Bill

:-]

Hey Johnny One-Note:

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Bill "if ever something deserved a top-post..." S.

> That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?

{Stop reading now; just gets worse from here}

> ...except for Clyde and his Redline.
>

> I'm just curious, I really have no idea why SS's seem to be virtually free of crazy defects.
>
> Is it the way they're ridden? I bet most people with single speeds don't dare to take the
> off road.
>
> That must be it, SS's never break because they're not ridden as hard as other "non SS" bikes.
> Damn, I've uncovered the mystery.
>
> When I break my SS, I think my post will go something like this;
>

> That's right, nothing, 'cause it won't happen. Please someone post a valid SS problem. Give me
> something to really enjoy reading. I'm sick and tired of the old, blown shock this or blown shock
> that, rear derailleur won't do this or won't do that, chain suck here chain suck there, blown
> shift here blown shift there, should I go XTR or XT, what's mega mean?, ...yada friggin' yada.
>
> When will you all start getting it?! Stop wasting hordes of your well earn, hard fought for money
> on "non SS" POS's. You've all been hyped, bamboozled, gas lighted, tricked, suckered, snookered,
> mesmerized, hypnotized ... into believing that you need a "non SS"
>
> The best thing you can do is take that "non SS" bike to the top floor of some building and throw
> it out the window why yelling, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" (Network)
>
> For goodness sake take a look at yourself, do you feel anger while reading this? If you answered
> yes to this that's because you may have just realized the errors of your ways. Do you think
> perhaps Bill has finally gone off the deep end? If you answered yes to this then OPEN YOUR EYES
> people. Stand up and be counted, leave the masses behind. Get out and ride on your new SS, bought
> or built, you'll find it a pure joy.
>

> I'm done.
>
> RIP: Ride In Peace,
>
> Bill
>

> The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
> give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Bill says:

>That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?

Or fully rigid gearies either ;-)) ("Yet", adds he for Karmic defence)

Steve

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:51:42 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey Johnny One-Note:

Isn't it "Hey, hey Johnny, won't you come out to play"? Elton John....not that there's anything
wrong with that.

:-]

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:31:50 -0500, Bill Wheeler wrote:
> That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?

Intrigued by the singlespeed hype, I tried a sample "singlespeed" ride by putting my bike in one
gear and leaving it there for the entire ride. A sharp pain flared up in my knee just before
finishing off a 1/2-mile climb; I couldn't ride for a few weeks, and its been a problem ever since.

I'd rather have problem with my derailleurs; at least those can be fixed easily.

> That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?

Is this like the disc brake thing where you complained incessantly about how **** and unnecessary
they were and then changed your mind?
--
Chris
________________

> That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?

Perhaps it's because the vast majority of people don't ride them.

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
> That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?

> ...except for Clyde and his Redline.

> I'm just curious, I really have no idea why SS's seem to be virtually free of crazy defects.

Bill, you are a secret agent of the fully geared, on a one man mission to make singlespeeds
uncool, right?

I popped three teeth off a freewheel cog on a singlespeed (naturally I threw chain a lot while doing
this). I don't normally break stuff. Fairly sure the reason was too much chain tension made worse by
a slightly off center chainring.

> When I break my SS, I think my post will go something like this;

Posting something like this is bad karma. Try not to break anything tomorrow.

> That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?
>
> ...except for Clyde and his Redline.
>

> I'm just curious, I really have no idea why SS's seem to be virtually free of crazy defects.
>
> Is it the way they're ridden? I bet most people with single speeds don't dare to take the
> off road.
>
> That must be it, SS's never break because they're not ridden as hard as other "non SS" bikes.
> Damn, I've uncovered the mystery.
>
> When I break my SS, I think my post will go something like this;
>

> That's right, nothing, 'cause it won't happen. Please someone post a valid SS problem. Give me
> something to really enjoy reading. I'm sick and tired of the old, blown shock this or blown shock
> that, rear derailleur won't do this or won't do that, chain suck here chain suck there, blown
> shift here blown shift there, should I go XTR or XT, what's mega mean?, ...yada friggin' yada.
>
> When will you all start getting it?! Stop wasting hordes of your well earn, hard fought for money
> on "non SS" POS's. You've all been hyped, bamboozled, gas lighted, tricked, suckered, snookered,
> mesmerized, hypnotized ... into believing that you need a "non SS"
>
> The best thing you can do is take that "non SS" bike to the top floor of some building and throw
> it out the window why yelling, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" (Network)
>
> For goodness sake take a look at yourself, do you feel anger while reading this? If you answered
> yes to this that's because you may have just realized the errors of your ways. Do you think
> perhaps Bill has finally gone off the deep end? If you answered yes to this then OPEN YOUR EYES
> people. Stand up and be counted, leave the masses behind. Get out and ride on your new SS, bought
> or built, you'll find it a pure joy.
>

> I'm done.
>
> RIP: Ride In Peace,
>
> Bill
>

> The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
> give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

What's the matter, Bill? Existing campaign unsuccessful? Must... increase... power... Must...
increase... propaganda!

Westie <grin

On 19 Mar 2003 02:52:34 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) blathered:

>>That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?
>
>Or fully rigid gearies either ;-))

This is the way I've gone - there's a photo of it somewhere in here taken yesterday:
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/farnorth-march03/

I've been battering the current bike for months now with no mechanicals and almost zero maintenance.
SS is attractive but I need a big gear; the lack of low gears was never a problem when I was riding
the Supercaliber as a SS. Using thumbshifters and an eight speed drivetrain eliminates many of the
problems associated with gearing.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

> That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?
>
> ...except for Clyde and his Redline.

Actually I posted one about my Shimano cog getting dirt inside on muddy rides and skipping on hard
pedal strokes. Also my chain sometimes come off the singleator jockey wheel on climbs. And the
melvin tensioner doesn't seem to allow chainline adjustment. Of course if you had straight
dropouts you wouldn't have 2 of my woes. And if you lived outside of Singapore you wouldn't have
to suffer with Shimano cogs either cus nobody sells SS specific cogs here. On the bright side, it
seems more and more companies are introducing SS gear like CK. If they had a flip-flop I'd change
mine in a sec.

bloocow - weirdly, flip flops do it for me.

Bill Wheeler wrote:
> That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?
>
> ...except for Clyde and his Redline.

My redline is just fine, now. We reamed the seat tube out to 27.2 and dropped a Thompson in

> Is it the way they're ridden? I bet most people with single speeds don't dare to take the
> off road.

Yeah that't is, I'm sure of it..... We are all just poseurs.

BB wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:31:50 -0500, Bill Wheeler wrote:
>
>>That nobody ever seems to post problems with Fully Rigid Single Speeds?
>

> Intrigued by the singlespeed hype, I tried a sample "singlespeed" ride by putting my bike in one
> gear and leaving it there for the entire ride.

It's not the same. Beleive me, I tried it too. It's just not the same

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

>That's right, nothing, 'cause it won't happen. Please someone post a valid SS problem.

Last fall on a night ride, I snapped the rear axle on my SS on a steep climb and had to walk 3 miles
in the dark to the nearest road, then wait another 1/2 hour for my buds to come pick me up in the
car <<sniff>>

I don't believe you can generate enough torque on a geared bike to break an axle - at least I've
never heard of it. And a major pain on a cold fall night at 9:00 p.m., trust me.

That good enough?

--dt

> That's right, nothing, 'cause it won't happen. Please someone post a valid SS problem. Give me
> something to really enjoy reading. I'm

Mortal men/women on a 2-1 SS would have a difficult time riding many of the trails in my
neck-of-the-woods. Of course that won't stop me from building one in the near future.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Craig Brossman wrote:
> Mortal men/women on a 2-1 SS would have a difficult time riding many of the trails in my
> neck-of-the-woods.

Who say's you _have_ to have 2:1 I'm quite content w/ my 32/17 gearing. On days I'm doing a
"seriously" hilly ride (Like Lynx or Hall Mountian Trail) I throw on the 18T freewheel
equipt'ed wheel.

> Of course that won't stop me from building one in the near future.

"Bun's-O-Steel"

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Craig Brossman wrote:
> > Mortal men/women on a 2-1 SS would have a difficult time riding many of
the
> > trails in my neck-of-the-woods.
>
> Who say's you _have_ to have 2:1 I'm quite content w/ my 32/17 gearing. On days I'm doing a
> "seriously" hilly ride (Like Lynx or Hall Mountian Trail) I throw on the 18T freewheel
> equipt'ed wheel.
>

> > Of course that won't stop me from building one in the near future.
>
> "Bun's-O-Steel"

Yeah, but many times it's incredibly hilly then flat then hilly then flat then downhill then
extremely steep. I can't see using a single speed anywhere I ride -- in order to get into a
nice gear for the hills, I'd have to pedal at 300 rpm on the flats, and let's not even talk
about downhill.

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Last fall on a night ride, I snapped the rear axle on my SS on a steep climb and had to walk 3
> miles in the dark to the nearest road, then wait another 1/2 hour for my buds to come pick me up
> in the car <<sniff>>

> I don't believe you can generate enough torque on a geared bike to break an axle - at least I've
> never heard of it. And a major pain on a cold fall night at 9:00 p.m., trust me.

> That good enough?

Is it a freewheel or a cassette hub? Geared freewheel hubs do break axles - I've done in two. They
break from fatigue, millions of tiny loads, every time you pedal. Once the axle is bent, it is
already cracked, and eventually a torque comes along that just snaps it. Usually at the place where
the right side bearings are. It's worse with wide rear spacing like 6 or 7 speed freewheels.
Cassette hubs solved this problem by having a right side bearing near the axle end so there is not
an unsupported length of axle. This is in the r.b.tech FAQ.

A broken QR axle is sort of held together by the skewer so it can be ridden, but seems like it may
damage the bearing races, and it definitely sucks to ride.

Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it a freewheel or a cassette hub? Geared freewheel hubs do break axles - I've done in two. They
>break from fatigue, millions of tiny loads, every time you pedal. Once the axle is bent, it is
>already cracked, and eventually a torque comes along that just snaps it. Usually at the place where
>the right side bearings are. It's worse with wide rear spacing like 6 or 7 speed freewheels.
>Cassette hubs solved this problem by having a right side bearing near the axle end so there is not
>an unsupported length of axle. This is in the r.b.tech FAQ.

>A broken QR axle is sort of held together by the skewer so it can be ridden, but seems like it may
>damage the bearing races, and it definitely sucks to ride.

It was a Spot SS hub with a 17 tooth SS freewheel, not a geared freewheel OR a cassette hub. It
broke, as you describe with the geared freewheel, on the drive side flush with the bearings. Since
this hub is fastened to the dropout with bolts in the axle, and without a QR skewer, it was
unrideable with a broken axle.

Anyway, Bill was looking for a gripe specific to SS's, and this is one. --dt