Why is London-Brighton bike ride Fathers Day?

ok - firstly am not a cyclist (so dont shoot me)

but why oh why why oh why why oh why why oh why is the bike ride always
on fathers day?

totally snarls up Brighton (near where i live), and the roads in and
out...

i dont have a problem with the bike ride at all (well done all you who
do it, my sister in law has done it twice!) - just the timing

[email protected] wrote:
> ok - firstly am not a cyclist (so dont shoot me)
>
> but why oh why why oh why why oh why why oh why is the bike ride always
> on fathers day?
>
> totally snarls up Brighton (near where i live), and the roads in and
> out...
>
> i dont have a problem with the bike ride at all (well done all you who
> do it, my sister in law has done it twice!) - just the timing

probably just to coincide with the closest weekend to midsummer.
Wetherby to Scarborough was on this weekend too, but Saturday. So why is
fathers day on this weekend ? To sell some cards in June.

In article <[email protected]>
MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > ok - firstly am not a cyclist (so dont shoot me)
> >
> > but why oh why why oh why why oh why why oh why is the bike ride always
> > on fathers day?
> >
> > totally snarls up Brighton (near where i live), and the roads in and
> > out...
> >
> > i dont have a problem with the bike ride at all (well done all you who
> > do it, my sister in law has done it twice!) - just the timing
> >

> probably just to coincide with the closest weekend to midsummer.
> Wetherby to Scarborough was on this weekend too, but Saturday. So why is
> fathers day on this weekend ? To sell some cards in June.

Are the card manufacturers missing out on a big "Happy cycling"
marketing opportunity?

On 19 Jun 2006 02:26:44 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>ok - firstly am not a cyclist (so dont shoot me)
>
>but why oh why why oh why why oh why why oh why is the bike ride always
>on fathers day?

What is Fathers Day?

"Ian Blake" <NoNotMe@NotAnywhere> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 19 Jun 2006 02:26:44 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>ok - firstly am not a cyclist (so dont shoot me)
>>
>>but why oh why why oh why why oh why why oh why is the bike ride always
>>on fathers day?
>>

> What is Fathers Day?

'Tis the day when children who know who their father is, send them a small
tribute of esteem.

[email protected] wrote:
> ok - firstly am not a cyclist (so dont shoot me)
>
> but why oh why why oh why why oh why why oh why is the bike ride always
> on fathers day?

I used to ask myself this; had to wait all day before I could open and
scoff my large box of Toblerone (yesterday's is half gone already)

It was probably chosen as the best day weather-wise for the 16 riders
who first rode it. Nowadays it is probably too ingrained into the
Brighton and (also bike ride) events calendar to change.

As to why Brighton gets snarled up on the day...well I think other
threads on the subject may shed some light.