Why is Max HR for cycling less than that for running and what about swimming?

Cyclesaurus

Sep 2, 2004
This relates to my other thread but I thought I would create a new one because I'm really curious about this.:confused:

There's limited upper body invlovement in cycling, well, at least for most of us.

try doing a max test while riding up a hill, "working" the bars like crazy. This should increse it a bit.

It's my understanding that cross-country skiing is the activity which uses the most muscles at one time. Not sure about rowing

Cyclesaurus said:
This relates to my other thread but I thought I would create a new one because I'm really curious about this.:confused:

Mine are practically identical.

Cyclesaurus said:

it only occurs if you're better trained at running than cycling.

trained cyclists have a VO2max of 100 - 106% of running VO2max. adding e.g., a handcycle to a (trained) cyclist when doing a max test won't increase VO2max.

ric

Cyclesaurus said:
The actual HR number that you see during different activites is effected by your body's posture/gravity (eg: vertical for running vs horizontal for swimming), the mechanical action of the activity on blood circulation (eg: cadence), how well trained you are in each activity/your ability to recruit muscle, environment (eg: being surrounded by water will convect more heat away from the body) and the amount of musculature involved in the activity.

Cyclesaurus said:

Because you have to support and lift your body as you run each step, and then absorb the shock as you land - both actions require muscular exertion.

When you cycle your body is supported so the effort is limited to your legs when you pedal and your upper body to brace yourself and for balance.

Swimming max is even lower because of the support of the water and the fact that you are lying down.

If you are an elite cyclist your max heart rate will be close to that obtained from running. ;)