Why is Shimano dragging their feet on a DA compact?

friedmikey

Jan 20, 2005
I was just browsing around competitivecyclist.com, and I came across the SRM Dura-Ace Compact Powermeter crankset. Somebody else had to do it for them! My question is, just what is going on in the heads of the marketing department over at Shimano? It's pretty obvious that the compact thing is not a passing fad. What on earth are they waiting for? Drop that DA compact on us already!

friedmikey said:
What on earth are they waiting for?
They are just using their standard operating procedure. They spend their time making negligable improvements for marketing purpose while letting Campy do the real improvements.

Forget about compact cranks, when is Shimano going to come out with a threadless headset.

friedmikey said:
I was just browsing around competitivecyclist.com, and I came across the SRM Dura-Ace Compact Powermeter crankset. Somebody else had to do it for them! My question is, just what is going on in the heads of the marketing department over at Shimano? It's pretty obvious that the compact thing is not a passing fad. What on earth are they waiting for? Drop that DA compact on us already!
They are hedging their bets by releasing the general compact crankset, to cover all the groupsets. Maybe they do think its a passing fad like the biopace chainrings and will never release a DA compact. It does'nt look that bad, it should still match the DA hardware, wonder if its compatible with the DA BB or would you need the new one ?

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/cycle/seh/nl/en/news___info/news/compact_drive_crankset.html

kleng said:
It does'nt look that bad, it should still match the DA hardware, wonder if its compatible with the DA BB or would you need the new one ?
Looks pretty similar to the DA in my book,and AFAIK fully compatible with DA, Ultegra and 105 outboard bearing BBs.

DA is thier "professional" groupset. Very very rarely do pros run compact sets as they are strong enough to live with 12-25 or 12-27 even on the big hills.

Compact also wears out slightly quicker due to smaller cassettes and rings.

Yes you can get record carbon compact, perhapes they are catering to the overly rich and under fit which shimano are discounting? Or perhapes record costs so much people can't afford multiple cassettes to adjust thier gearing for different rides!

Phill P said:
Yes you can get record carbon compact, perhapes they are catering to the overly rich and under fit which shimano are discounting? Or perhapes record costs so much people can't afford multiple cassettes to adjust thier gearing for different rides!

$1200 for a crank, if I bought one I wouldnt be eating for a loooong time.

Shimano has never rushed into anything, just to jump on some on-going fad, i.e. carbon.
It they did, you'd end up with something like FSA.

friedmikey said:

Phill P said:
DA is thier "professional" groupset. Very very rarely do pros run compact sets as they are strong enough to live with 12-25 or 12-27 even on the big hills.

The TDF Shimano pros rode 12-27 x 34-50s in the mountain stages. Of course, they don't care about crankset weight because they are adding a lead weight to the bottom of their bottom bracket lug, to bring their bikes up to the legal weight minimum anyway. Many rode this compact in other, less than flat, stages with a 11-23, which gives you a lower low and a higher high than a 12-25 x 39-53. Plus the compact gives you more usable gear ratios than the 39-53 because there is less gear ratio overlap between ring cog combinations. Who needs multiple cassettes, I run a Campy 12-25 x 34-50. This gives me a low gear equivalent to a 29/39 and a high gear that only requires a few more cadence rpm at 40mph. Ring gear wear has nothing to do with what cassette is being used. Unless you live in the mountains, the wear difference between 34t and 39t rings is negligable. Even a steel 25t cog, almost lasts forever if properly maintained. Pure speculation, but I suspect the manufacturing cost for a Shimano alloy D-A and Ultegra crankset may be almost the same and you only have one set of tooling. Even more and more of the Campy Record and Chorus components keep getting closer together.

lks said:
The TDF Shimano pros rode 12-27 x 34-50s in the mountain stages.
Most pros rarely use anything lower than a 39-25. The exceptions are are some stages in the Giro and Vuelta that include climbs that are far steeper than anything in the TdF. In fact in this year's Giro pros and team managers complained about the steepness of a few Giro climbs, saying that anything that required more than a 39-25 was not suitable for bike racing.

There is the odd pro like Bobby Julich who seems to use a compact crank quite a bit. Maybe he has a sponsorship deal with FSA.

One of the disadvantages of a compact is that there is very little gear overlap, which means that on certain terrain you have to shift back forth between the chainrings a lot. That is why some gear overlap is a good thing.

Phill P said:

The old adage, "What wins on Sunday sells on Monday," comes to mind. You don't honestly think that Shimano makes Dura-Ace products for the pros, do you? It's for the wanna be pros, like me. But I'm realistic. I know I'm nowhere near the same level as a pro, so I don't try to use the same gears that they do. Sure, I can survive on a 39/25 too, but why suffer unecessarily? A compact suits me much better. It's consumers like me that keep Shimano fed and happy. Not the pros.

Bro Deal said:
Most pros rarely use anything lower than a 39-25. The exceptions are are some stages in the Giro and Vuelta that include climbs that are far steeper than anything in the TdF. In fact in this year's Giro pros and team managers complained about the steepness of a few Giro climbs, saying that anything that required more than a 39-25 was not suitable for bike racing.

There is the odd pro like Bobby Julich who seems to use a compact crank quite a bit. Maybe he has a sponsorship deal with FSA.

One of the disadvantages of a compact is that there is very little gear overlap, which means that on certain terrain you have to shift back forth between the chainrings a lot. That is why some gear overlap is a good thing.
OLN, Velo News and Cycling News interviewed many of the Shimano equipped top teams, including Shimano's technical support.Almost every Shimano rider requested and got the 34-50 crankset and used a 12-27 cassette for the mountain stages. Campy riders used the same, but with the 12-26 cassette because the 26t cog is the lowest gear availible with a 12t cog. Guess what they will be requesting next time around at the Giro and Vuelta. The general consensus of the bike industry is that the advantages of the compact crankset, far outweigh the standard crankset. Racers select what is best for each course.

Well I guess that about spells it out, request/ride what best suits your terrian.

I know cyclists like to suffer and be manly with the places they ride, but how many people around the world ride terrian so bad they need 34-25 or 34-27? The pros only ride it on selected courses, I'd say most people avoid stupidly steep rides becuase thier bike is geared for the 95% of their other rides

Shimano must have done the math and decided the cost of tooling does not result in enough of a profit to do a DA compact due to low sales, hence they just did a ultegra level crank set for everybody.

I'm no pro, and I'm considering a compact for my next bike (with 11-23). I also don't feel the need for light weight pro level stuff when I'm 97kg, ultegra and centaur level stuff is fine. However I don't ride hills that are beyond a 40-25 middle ring combo at the moment, so a 34-23 would be good enough for me 99% of the time, then once a year when I do ride a killer hill (up to mount buller) I might buy a lower geared cassette to give the stump pulling performance.

As another posted pointed out it is us try hards that fund bike company's, but then people at the top end want to ride what the pro's ride. Pro's don't need a compact (very often)

The "Dura-Ace is for pro's" argument doesn't explain DA Triple. DA is for people with money who want pro-level equipment. The fact that they may not be able to pedal pro-level gearing is the problem.

I think Shimano is just limiting its line of components. I'm surprised they've got triple cranks in all three of their top categories except they need triple shifters in all three categories as well. They had some product delivery problems the last few years so they don't want to create a market for stuff they can't produce fast enough. A lot of bike makers are shipping new bikes with non Shimano cranks anyway.

One level of compact crank is enough; putting it at the Ultegra price point makes sense.

Phill P said:
Well I guess that about spells it out, request/ride what best suits your terrian.

I know cyclists like to suffer and be manly with the places they ride, but how many people around the world ride terrian so bad they need 34-25 or 34-27? The pros only ride it on selected courses, I'd say most people avoid stupidly steep rides becuase thier bike is geared for the 95% of their other rides

Shimano must have done the math and decided the cost of tooling does not result in enough of a profit to do a DA compact due to low sales, hence they just did a ultegra level crank set for everybody.

I'm no pro, and I'm considering a compact for my next bike (with 11-23). I also don't feel the need for light weight pro level stuff when I'm 97kg, ultegra and centaur level stuff is fine. However I don't ride hills that are beyond a 40-25 middle ring combo at the moment, so a 34-23 would be good enough for me 99% of the time, then once a year when I do ride a killer hill (up to mount buller) I might buy a lower geared cassette to give the stump pulling performance.

As another posted pointed out it is us try hards that fund bike company's, but then people at the top end want to ride what the pro's ride. Pro's don't need a compact (very often)
Correct, use the gearing that best suites only "YOU" and where "YOU" ride. The industry came out with compacts to give people, women are a growing custormer base, the gearing the vast majority need, without the added shifting complexity and cost of the 3rd ring of a triple. For the most part ,the triple is dead, it just hasn't been buried yet. At least that is what the bike industry is forecasting. The bike industry is in the business of profit and their products reflect that.

I don't want to start a war but some of the Campag TdF riders has this:
Record UltraDrive 13-29 Sprocket Set

A fourth sprocket set is available for 10-speed drivetrains: A 13-29 now joins the 11-21, 11-23, 12-25 and 13-26 sprocket sets. It must be used with a Record 10-speed medium cage rear derailleur. There goes one excuse for your not doing that wretched hill.
From: http://www.racycles.com/com/catalog/campagnolo_record_sprockets_2935358.htm

doesnt a triple solve this issue?

Phill P said:

I know cyclists like to suffer and be manly with the places they ride, but how many people around the world ride terrian so bad they need 34-25 or 34-27? The pros only ride it on selected courses, "I'd say most people avoid stupidly steep rides becuase thier bike is geared for the 95% of their other rides"