Why is Shimano so hated by some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 04 D/A is hands down the best shifting group on the market today.

Originally posted by Evan Evans
As a frequent visitor to this group. I've noticed that there are a few posters who use this as a
platform to steer people against the use of Shimano components. What's wrong with Shimano?

FIRST THEY HAVE THOSE UGLY WIRES STICKING OUT FROM THE BRAKE LEVERS. AND THEY INVENTED AERO. BRAKE LEVERS 20 YEARS AGO.
SECOND THE NEW TEN SPEED CRANK IS ABOUT AS UGLY AS YOU CAN GET.
CAMPY HAS ITALIAN STYLE.

Originally posted by Tim McTeague
"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message...
What I don't get is the near religious passion many Campy people have for their
product. While that is OK, the need to bash the bigger competitor is unseemly. Seems to be a
insecurity issue IMO.
[/B]

Perhaps the dichotomy resembles the culture wars that followed the reformation.

One side feels that both athlete and equipment maker must prove worthy of admittance to the cycling fellowship by showing proper respect for its sacred traditions, its perfectionistic idealism or chivalry and its mystical incorporation of art and elegance in all mechanical "vessels" used in the ritual. Those who snub these aspects, seeking only results, are seen as "heathens" who are ruining this most noble sport.

The other side feels that the bottom line and the great equalizer is athletic prowess. The road is paved the same for everyone, and the first one to the finish (within the rules and the bounds of good sportsmanship) is indisputably the best. All ritualistic, artistic or mystical considerations are just "silly" and those who worship these aspects are seen as "snobs" and "elitists" hiding behind some arcane gnosticism to hold down newcomers.

When we see Catholics and Protestants reunited, there may be hope for an end to the Campy-Shimano wars.

Originally posted by Evan Evans
As a frequent visitor to this group. I've noticed that there are a few posters who use this as a
platform to steer people against the use of Shimano components. What's wrong with Shimano?

Why is Shimano hated? Well, they practice price-fixing (they have limited the number of "authorized" online dealers to six, and threaten to cut-off anyone who isn't authorized that offers their products entirely. This is to eliminated discounting of their already pricey products. Also, Shimano says 'To heck with the standards" changing pedal-cleat configurations 4 times in the past decade. The Saint group is proprietary as all get-out, not working with practically anything that other manufacturers currently produce. The rear derailleur requires the use of their hub, the hub requires the use of their disc brakes...etc, etc. Not to mention we are being forced to accept their Rapid Rise reverse shifting rear derailleurs...its in the works to quit producing regular-sprung rear derailleurs! Also, Shimano is suing SRAM for patent infringement...allegedly SRAM's new trigger-shifters infringe upon their Rapidfire technology...seemingly Shimano's Revo-Shift would infringe upon SRAM's Gripshift patents as well, wouldn't it?

Listen, I own plenty of Shimano stuff...a full deore group (minus the disc bbrake calipers and rotors), an XT derailleur, an old Exage front mech, some hubs, and crank, and a few chainrings...scattered about on four different MTB's. Their quality is outsatnding...its just that their business practices are unfair...the seek a monopoly and to squelch all competition.

There are decent components offered by other manufacturers. SunTour is back...Their Durolux free-ride oriented crank is outstanding. Unfortunately, they do not possess most of the pre-1996 SunTour patents, and their derailleurs and shifters are only low to mid-range in quality. Sunrace builds capable derailleurs, cranks, shifters, hubs, and cassettes. Most house-brand stuff you'll see offered for mail order or online is actually Sunrace (execpt for brakes--those tend to be re-labled Tektro models). I run a Sunrace M60 derailleur and Sunrace twist-shifters on one of my rides, and the performance is on par or superior to Deore-level components. Obviously SRAM offers high-quality alternatives to Shimano...the bulk of these aimed at MTB'ers. Modolo still produces a combination Shift-brake lever for roadies that is 7-8-9 speed compatible and works just spiffy with Campagnolo, some Suntour, and all Sunrace derailleurs. As i mentioned before, tektro builds outstanding MTB rim brakes and road calipers.

Hopefully the OEM market will open up to Sunrace, SRAM, and Suntour in the near future, as many of us are sick of Shimano's greed-driven monopolistic practices. I for one would like to see Sunrace Ju-Ju models and SRAM X.0 models competing with XT and XTR models.

To make a long story short, I don't hate Shimano...just their business practices.

have a happy Thursday,

American Lesion

QUOTE]Originally posted by BianchiJock
Perhaps the dichotomy resembles the culture wars that followed the reformation.[/QUOTE]

As a lapsed wannabe Daoist, I am glad to see the debate has switched from racial mix to philosophy. I believe the dichotomy is encompassed in the unity (which is the Dao) and thus will inherently achieve balance. I pause to reflect that when Lao Tzu rode out the western gate to the misty mountains on his blue buffalo circa 700 BCE, that he probably used no componentry whatsoever.

However in moments when I lose grasp of the black pearl of wisdom I can not help but agree with the venerable sage Bear72
QUOTE]FIRST THEY HAVE THOSE UGLY WIRES STICKING OUT FROM THE BRAKE LEVERS. AND THEY INVENTED AERO. BRAKE LEVERS 20 YEARS AGO.
SECOND THE NEW TEN SPEED CRANK IS ABOUT AS UGLY AS YOU CAN GET.
CAMPY HAS ITALIAN STYLE..
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.