Why is Shimano so hated by some?

On 30 Nov 2003 21:56:32 -0800, [email protected] (Chalo) wrote:
>Since I generally avoid Shimano and other weak parts, I wind up buying mostly BMX components even
>though I have no BMX bike. (All the nicer BMX/freestyle 3-piece cranks make Shimano's offerings
>look like children's toys. Or fishing tackle.)

What kind of fish can I catch with a crankarm? Maybe one of Carl's mythical bikeless fish? I'd like
something that could catch a reel (hah!) lot of fish...

At only 210 pounds, I have more problems with shimano fishing equipment than I do with shimano
bicycle parts. I once broke a shimano Altus rear derailleur, a part designed for comfort bikes to
use on paved trails, while torquing uphill on a gnarly off-road trail.

--
Rick "can't catch a fish with proper tackle" Onanian

On 1 Dec 2003 09:30:07 -0800, [email protected] (Evan Evans) wrote:
>Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> [email protected] (Donald Gillies) writes:
>> > 4. Their approach to components is like Borg to humans.
>> Huh?
>
>Ok. Im convinced!!!! When my Tiagra shifters ****-out im going Chorus!! My moutain bike go's on
>ebay tonight so i can get money for Record OR !

Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated.
--
Rick "Locutus" Onanian

On 1 Dec 2003 11:25:12 -0800, [email protected] (Chalo) wrote:
>acccelerate wear in other components. A 10-speed chain is significantly narrower than a 7-speed
>chain, so it will wear faster and require more frequent replacement.

Are the plates on a 10 speed chain narrower, or just the rollers? If the plates are thinner, then I
guess it would wear faster.

--
Rick "Do I know what I'm talking about?" Onanian

"Helmut Springer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote: [...Titan in DuraAce...]
> >> A reasonable amount at reasonable places.
> >
> > 4 of the largest cogs of the 10s cogset..no more-
>
> Besides the rear hub, and even those being reasonable or not is debatable.

I think you guys are arguing apples and oranges. Peter appears to be talking about ti in the
*new* DA 10 group, model 7800, where only the 4 largest cogs have any. In contrast, Helmet
appears to be talking about the DA 9 group, model 7700, which has ti in both the 3 biggest cogs
AND in the rear freehub.

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Umm...say what?!?
>
>Bill "could've sworn I've paid for thousands of dollars' worth of Shimano MTB components over the
>years" S.

My best impression of an irrational Campy-phile. Pretty convincing, eh?

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:12:55 -0500, "Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Al frost's post is onto substance. Even before the dubious patented splined BB'S, Shimano shortened
>spindles to such an extent that everyone had to retool away from face and hook spanner designs as
>103mm was tooshort. Too short also describes a fork cut for a Shimano headset when trying to fit
>another brand. A pattern? Remember the weak rear der. return springs that were designed to
>frustrate Sram users?

I know that one! That's what bothers me most with my current setup, SRAM Centera (5.0) shifters and
STX-RC rear der. The spring should be much stronger. Next bike will have X.9 shifters and rear
derailleur instead.

[email protected] schreef ...
> Donald Gillies <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] (Evan Evans) writes:
>
> > > What's wrong with Shimano?
>
> > 1. They killed Suntour.
> > 2. They only make throwaway items.
> > 3. They hadn't won a tour de france in decades until Lance/TREK.
>
> Several of these are wrong (IMO), but this is the wrongest. No component manufacturer has ever won
> a Tour de France, nor will ever win a Tour de France.

Perhaps a drug manufacturer would, in a way ;-}

--
Regards, Marten

[email protected] schreef ...
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:12:55 -0500, "Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Al frost's post is onto substance. Even before the dubious patented splined BB'S, Shimano
> >shortened spindles to such an extent that everyone had to retool away from face and hook spanner
> >designs as 103mm was tooshort. Too short also describes a fork cut for a Shimano headset when
> >trying to fit another brand. A pattern? Remember the weak rear der. return springs that were
> >designed to frustrate Sram users?
>
> I know that one! That's what bothers me most with my current setup, SRAM Centera (5.0) shifters
> and STX-RC rear der. The spring should be much stronger. Next bike will have X.9 shifters and rear
> derailleur instead.

That's why the Bassworm is on the market.

--
Regards, Marten

bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think you guys are arguing apples and oranges. Peter appears to be talking about ti in the *new*
> DA 10 group, model 7800, where only the 4 largest cogs have any. In contrast, Helmet appears to be
> talking about the DA 9 group, model 7700, which has ti in both the 3 biggest cogs AND in the rear
> freehub.

Might be, I'm not too familiar with the 7800 (neither that aspect of the 7700), thanks. My point is
more that some Titan parts don't have to mean an advantage in quality. Titan and Carbon seem to be
used for fashionable reasons a lot...

--
MfG/Best regards helmut springer

Chris B. <bikerider@-NOSPAM_THANKS-rogers.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

<snip>

> Shimano's customers are large companies, not Joe Commuter or Bill Tourer. As long as their
> components are on 99% of new bicycles sold, nothing else matters.

I'm not sure that's the case. Shimano wants dominance across the board. If they were interested only
in mass market "Wal-Mart" type bicycles then they wouldn't need DA or XTR and they certainly
wouldn't have individual components available for retail sale.

ALF

Chris B. <bikerider@-NOSPAM_THANKS-rogers.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

<snip>

> What I can't understand is how slapping the roter up against the hub's shell and affixing it with
> 6 small bolts became the International Standard. I reckon that having a spline on both the hub and
> rotor and securing it with a lockring like the cassette/freehub is a superior design. Actually,
> what I like *most* about Shimano are their hubs - my ancient 7-speed XTR hub still runs perfectly
> smooth and probably will continue to for many years.

To my way of thinking I'd rather have 6 bolts holding my rotors on vice a single lockring. It a
safety concern and even the bolts supplied with Shimano bolt on rotors use both locktight and
locking tabs. In any case, I doubt that Shimano designed splined rotors as an improvement. It's more
likely a way for Shimano sell more hubsets/wheelsets and for ease of assembly (not that rotors are a
maintenance burden). Besides I'm sure that development costs were minimal so if it fails to sell
they are not out much money. Besides the saftey issue I resent having to use Shimano hubs if I don't
want to. Even though XTR hubs may be great there are other hubs on the market that are just as good
and maybe even better.

ALF

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:38:45 GMT, Al Frost <[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris B. <bikerider@-NOSPAM_THANKS-rogers.com> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
><snip>
>>
>> What I can't understand is how slapping the roter up against the hub's shell and affixing it with
>> 6 small bolts became the International Standard. I reckon that having a spline on both the hub
>> and rotor and securing it with a lockring like the cassette/freehub is a superior design.
>> Actually, what I like *most* about Shimano are their hubs - my ancient 7-speed XTR hub still runs
>> perfectly smooth and probably will continue to for many years.
>>

>To my way of thinking I'd rather have 6 bolts holding my rotors on vice a single lockring. It a
>safety concern and even the bolts supplied with Shimano bolt on rotors use both locktight and
>locking tabs.

Well, what does that tell you? I have heard quite a few reports of bolts which have gotten loose,
gone missing or even sheared off at the head - not to mention stripping of the threads in the hub.
The fact that the rotor bolts that are supplied with disc brakes have thread locking goo on them
(and that Shimano *also* includes locking tabs to use with their non-splined rotors) would serve to
discomfort me if I still used a disc brake. I mean, leaving aside whatever Shimano's motives are,
does it not make more sense for the torque to be transferred directly from the rotor to the hub?
Engineer types, what sayest thou?

Al Frost wrote: <snip>
> To my way of thinking I'd rather have 6 bolts holding my rotors on vice a single lockring. It a
> safety concern and even the bolts supplied with Shimano bolt on rotors use both locktight and
> locking tabs. In any case, I doubt that Shimano designed splined rotors as an improvement. It's
> more likely a way for Shimano sell more hubsets/wheelsets and for ease of assembly (not that
> rotors are a maintenance burden). Besides I'm sure that development costs were minimal so if it
> fails to sell they are not out much money. Besides the saftey issue I resent having to use Shimano
> hubs if I don't want to. Even though XTR hubs may be great there are other hubs on the market that
> are just as good and maybe even better.

having recently ridden with a guy who asked me "why is my brake rubbing" and then discovering that
all 6 of his disk bolts were nearly out, i'd say that a splined rotor is the best way to go. all the
torque is handled by the splines, only allignment by the lock nut - a much lesser task, and much
less room for fitter error.

Helmut Springer <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I think you guys are arguing apples and oranges. Peter appears to be talking about ti in the
> > *new* DA 10 group, model 7800, where only the 4 largest cogs have any. In contrast, Helmet
> > appears to be talking about the DA 9 group, model 7700, which has ti in both the 3 biggest cogs
> > AND in the rear freehub.
>
> Might be, I'm not too familiar with the 7800 (neither that aspect of the 7700), thanks.

For more on the *new* DA 10 7800 hubs, which actually look ALOT like a Campy Chorus rear hub - all
aluminum/oversized axle/more bulging look, go here and scroll down to hubs:

http://www.duraace.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/the_product0/wheels.html

In contrast, the *older* DA 9 7700 hubs, that you appear to be more familiar with are here:

http://bike.shimano.com/Road/Dura-Ace/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=FH-7700

> My point is more that some Titan parts don't have to mean an advantage in >quality. Titan and
> Carbon seem to be used for fashionable reasons a lot...

This may be true. I believe Campy uses alot of ti/carbon in its Record group as that is the group
designed to be professionally raced and the ti/carbon bits will provide the *lowest* weight. Things
like reliability and durability, are not the main concern at this level. Nevertheless, the Record
group has proven that the ti/carbon bits are both reliable and durable and probably why the 2004
Chorus group now has these bits....

Chris B. <bikerider@-NOSPAM_THANKS-rogers.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

<snip>

> Well, what does that tell you? I have heard quite a few reports of bolts which have gotten loose,
> gone missing or even sheared off at the head - not to mention stripping of the threads in the hub.
> The fact that the rotor bolts that are supplied with disc brakes have thread locking goo on them
> (and that Shimano *also* includes locking tabs to use with their non-splined rotors) would serve
> to discomfort me if I still used a disc brake. I mean, leaving aside whatever Shimano's motives
> are, does it not make more sense for the torque to be transferred directly from the rotor to the
> hub? Engineer types, what sayest thou?

The idea of a splined rotor makes sense for transfering the braking loads directly from the rotor to
the hub, however, XTR rotors are a two piece design and therefore the "weak" link of the attaching
bolts is now moved to the disk/splined rotor spider interface rivets. Granted the rivets are exposed
to lower loads, in either design failure ultimiately depends on the strength of the bolt/rivet and
the number of bolts/rivets versus the load. My guess is most (if not all) failures of the 6 bolt
configuration are due to improper assembly and/or poor attention to maintenance not design.

I guess we should dump all of our 3,4 or 5 bolt cranks in favor of Shimano's yet to be released
splined chainrings/cranks. Those pesky chainring bolts always come lose or break.

ALF

jim beam <[email protected]> writes:

> Al Frost wrote:
>
>> To my way of thinking I'd rather have 6 bolts holding my rotors on vice a single lockring. <snip>
>
> having recently ridden with a guy who asked me "why is my brake rubbing" and then discovering that
> all 6 of his disk bolts were nearly out, i'd say that a splined rotor is the best way to go. all
> the torque is handled by the splines, only allignment by the lock nut - a much lesser task, and
> much less room for fitter error.

Interesting, this is a potential problem I hadn't heard of. Do these botls come loose regularly?
Would countersinking the holes in the rotor and using a conical-headed nut (like a lug nut) solve
the problem?

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 30 Nov 2003 17:14:41 -0800, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> >> What's wrong with Shimano?
> >5. They do not care about bicycle aesthetics (not since sante')
>
> I thought that a common complaint was that the only difference from one shimano part to the next
> was a nicer finish, or that they concentrate on making parts shiny without changing anything
> functional about them...
>
> >- Don Gillies San Diego, CA

To complete my baptism all i need is a Campagnolo tattoo....

(Crossposted to alt.mountain-bike)

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:58:57 GMT, Al Frost <[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris B. <bikerider@-NOSPAM_THANKS-rogers.com> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
><snip>
>>
>> Well, what does that tell you? I have heard quite a few reports of bolts which have gotten loose,
>> gone missing or even sheared off at the head - not to mention stripping of the threads in the
>> hub. The fact that the rotor bolts that are supplied with disc brakes have thread locking goo on
>> them (and that Shimano *also* includes locking tabs to use with their non-splined rotors) would
>> serve to discomfort me if I still used a disc brake. I mean, leaving aside whatever Shimano's
>> motives are, does it not make more sense for the torque to be transferred directly from the rotor
>> to the hub? Engineer types, what sayest thou?
>
>The idea of a splined rotor makes sense for transfering the braking loads directly from the rotor
>to the hub, however, XTR rotors are a two piece design and therefore the "weak" link of the
>attaching bolts is now moved to the disk/splined rotor spider interface rivets. Granted the rivets
>are exposed to lower loads, in either design failure ultimiately depends on the strength of the
>bolt/rivet and the number of bolts/rivets versus the load.

I see no reason why the rotor could not be one piece. The comment of mine that you initially quoted
was a sidebar questioning why the 6-bolt IS standard became the standard in the first place if a
splined design can be superior. It's not like I'm a Shimano fanboy, the only XTR component I own of
theirs is a 12 year old rear hub which I bought used.

> My guess is most (if not all) failures of the 6 bolt configuration are due to improper assembly
> and/or poor attention to maintenance not design.

This is the standard response right out of the cyclist textbook. I have no evidence to show
otherwise but I wonder on what basis you reach your conclusion?

I'd be interested to hear if any disc brake users reading this have had or witnessed problems with
disc brake rotor bolts loosening, shearing or stripping the hub shell.

>I guess we should dump all of our 3,4 or 5 bolt cranks in favor of Shimano's yet to be released
>splined chainrings/cranks. Those pesky chainring bolts always come lose or break.

You can be snide all you like but I see no reason why a splined design again wouldn't be superior
here and if Shimano is going to go from 4-bolt cranks to 6 or 3 anyway, then they may as well
engineer a good splined design. Now that you mention it, I do think that chainring bolts can be
quite a pain in the ass, especially if there is corrosion and if you don't have a tool handy to keep
the sleeve from spinning as you tighten the bolt.. However, as you point out, there is such a huge
number of cranks out there working OK that switching from the half a dozen bolt circle and bolt
number 'standards' we have now to something else would be...uh, nevermind.

Your red herring still doesn't explain why disc brakes which have only in the last few years need to
use an inferior design - it's not like the designers didn't already have freehubs around to take a
lesson from.

to a degree, yes, but the bolts are still bearing all the shear and if insufficiently torqued,
they'll continue to rock in their holes & loosen. if you had the disk not just countersunk, but
fully indented so that these indentations were snug into hub countersinks, /as well as/ the bolts
being countersunk into the disk, that would be better still.

if we were redesigning and had to stick to bolts, i'd go with something like most cars have on their
wheels these days: interference fit studs with a central pilot around the hub bearing to center the
disk. but the fabrication route would conflict with the spoke flange, so the stud flange would need
to be removable, which kind of gets us back to a splined rotor scenario again.

also, i'm not sure if this is the case, but it was mentioned by al frost earlier that the riveted
shimano splined disk design was potentially "weak". that may or may not be the case, but in
motorcycles, rivets are preferred design, particularly those with rivets deliberately loose to allow
the disk to "float" and supress squeal. i haven't yet played with a shimano splined disk so i don't
know if they've done that, but it sure would be welcome!!!!

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:08:27 +0100, "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The fact is that Campy's top of the line is head and shoulders higher than Shimano's top of
> the line.

What does that mean? Are you talking about materials? Just because something uses "fancier"
materials -- carbon fiber, titanium, unobtanium, whatever -- doesn't make it better.

You have to measure quality in terms of performance -- stiffness, weight, preceision (for shifting),
feel (for braking), longevity, ease of service, aerodynamics, etc.

If I embed diamonds in a part that weighs the same and works the same that doesn't make it a better
bike part. It might make it a better engagement present, sure, but not better for cycling.

It's not at all clear that Record is better than Dura-Ace in actual function and certainly strong
arguments can be made on both sides.

JT