Why is the road season over in the south?

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
I just moved to Austin TX and it's been beautiful here, mid 70s and dry the last week. Average temps in November are low 70s, so why does the road racing season end in Sept/Oct?

The off season in the south should be the summer, eh?

velomanct said:
...The off season in the south should be the summer, eh?
Sure would make it tough to race big races like NRC events, big stage races and nationals if part of the country ran their seasons way out of synch with the rest of the nation...

-Dave

What about the majority of racers, you know, cat 2 through 5 who could care less about NRC, nationals, etc.

Is cyclocross very big in the south? I know it is in the northeast, so it's logical that the road season would end in Sept there. Plus the colder weather.

Agree with you. I've asked the same question here from racers, and gotten exactly the same answer that Dave provided above. Our club sponsors a state championship race weekend in the middle of July, hottest time of the year. A crit on downtown streets starting at noon in 95* heat and humidity makes no sense to me either :)

velomanct said:
What about the majority of racers, you know, cat 2 through 5 who could care less about NRC, nationals, etc.

Is cyclocross very big in the south? I know it is in the northeast, so it's logical that the road season would end in Sept there. Plus the colder weather.

You know you could always "test the waters" and organize a race or two to see if people are still interested in racing during the "off" season.

People back in school? Later season holidays, etc? Up here in Massachusetts, it is much cooler than where you are and we are all still riding regularly.

Pkumble said:
People back in school? Later season holidays, etc? Up here in Massachusetts, it is much cooler than where you are and we are all still riding regularly.
Yes, but are there still sanctioned races outside of cyclocross? That's what this thread is about.

I think once the season ends, you'll only find reruns on. There's always cross to get you through to spring and the beginning of the road "season".