Why Is the Supply of Idiot Mountain Bikers ENDLESS?

Mike Vandeman

Guest
To: [email protected]
From: Caley Fretz <[email protected]>
Subject: hello Mr. Propogandist
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:59:14 -0400

"Laziness

Why ride a bike, when you can walk? Only because you can get to your destination
a lot faster and with a lot less energy. In spite of their muscular, "hard-body"
appearance, mountain bikers are lazy!"

I took this directly from one or your articles, after I ceased my hysterical
fits of laughter. I am a mountain biker, yes, but do not discredit me on that
account. Mountain bikers are far from lazy. I have what you most endearingly
call a "hard-body" appearance, and for good reason. My body appears this way
because I spend three to four hours a day on my bike, mostly on the road (better
for training, something I am willing to bet you have never done) but much of it
is spent on my mountain bike too. My body has reacted to the difficult tasks I
put upon it, and responded by increasing muscle size and definition. You walkers
just never seem to be able to match us lazy bikers in fitness, muscle tone,
muscle definition, or strength, do you? This seems somewhat ironic.

"Bad Role Modelling

Mountain biking also provides very bad role modeling for our children. Whether
or not a bike is ever ridden off-road, any child looking at one will get the
impression that it is used to tear up wildlife habitat, and that this is okay."

I assume you would rather have our children out of the streets dealing drugs?
Biking is a healthy, fun, and gratifying sport for kids to do. Where you get the
idea that kids will look at bikes and immediately think "ah! a bike! i feel a
sudden urge to destroy nature!" I have no idea. But hey, thats just me.

"Mountain Biking as an Image Enhancer

Another psychological factor, of course, is the image boost that the sport and
its accoutrements give to rebellious young people, just as racing bikes did for
an earlier generation (hardly any of whom actually raced!). The knobby tires and
"hardened" frames clearly say "I'm tough. Don't cross me!" The names attached to
the bikes and tires ("Velociraptor", "Omega-Bite", "Incisor") reinforce that
image, as do the photos in mountain bike magazines of bikers flying through the
air (getting "big air"). These bikes are clearly intended to indicate that they
will help you "conquer nature" (while, ironically, actually insuring that you
will have even less contact with that nature, due to their speed, lack of
contact with the ground, and suspension systems!)."

You just wish you could get air. Its like flying, a wonderful experience, but
one, alas, which requires slightly more athletic skill than walking. Yes we have
interesting names for biking products, but thats consumerism and advertising,
and is not unique to cycling.

As for your accusation that we lie all the time, well right back at you, Mr.
Vandeman. You, sir, are the liar and propagandist here.

Please, sir, reply to this email, so I may squash any further arguments you put
forth. And after you do, please kindly re-enter the 21'st century, where we have
cars and bikes and you CAN'T make a difference.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande