Why Is the Supply of IDIOT Mountain Bikers ENDLESS???

Mike Vandeman

Guest
From: "Owen Lewis" <[email protected]>
To: "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Your Fascinating Take on the Psychology of Mountain
Biking (2000)
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 22:55:45 +0100

' "All the emails I have received from you have been closed minded. "
You didn't say it was your opinion, you stated it as if it were a
FACT. That's called a "lie". '

A lie, you say?

So presumably that makes all the opinions that you have stated as fact
in your work lies, does it? Those similar to your opinion that
mountain biking is "selfish and destructive"?

I suppose that there is a slight difference between the opinion that I
expressed as fact, I will admit, and yours is that mine was based upon
logical reasoning (that your tendency to do the same is a trait of a
closed minded person like yourself - an assumption that I do not
really claim I can make but since we are speaking under your opinion
that generalisations based on previous observations are valid, I
will).

Of course, as I requested for you to break your habit of not giving
any real evidence with your points, I will refer back to that of mine
which I provided with my first email. I'm sorry that the debate has
not swung in the direction which you have intended but I like to keep
my writing relevant.

"The first thing one observes about mountain bikers is that they lie
continually"

Opinion? Yes.
Expressed as such? No.
By your intriguing definition, a lie? Yes.

I would personally not be as short-sighted as to call this a total
lie; one may very well observe this lying but it rather depend on the
person doing the observing and the riders in question. It is
therefore, without argument, opinion. Of course, you have provided me
with a definition of a lie and I would hate to be as rude as not to
use it (you are a highly educated man) and so a lie this quote
remains.

"none of them ever admit to lying"

Opinion? Yes (based on observation, maybe, but not fact).
Expressed as such? No.
By your intriguing definition, a lie? Yes.

Again, despite it's obvious flaw as a statement (you can never meet
all mountain bikers to see whether they do - "all those which I have
observed" would have been a far less ridiculous assumption) I would
not be so harsh as to describe it as a lie. When I say "it's obvious
flaw", I am being kind to use the singular in that it would be cruel
of me to point out that admitting to lying would defy the point of
lying in the first place. As you are aware, none of us can claim not
to have lied in the past; it is human nature. I simply feel that
mountain bikers, as an entity, should not be said to do it any more
than others. You are, of course, welcome to give evidence (a personal
anecdote does not constitute this) to show that they do. I expect that
I will be receiving a police record of some kind, detailing an
incident wherein a mountain biker has been proved to be lying, and I
wish to make it clear that such an incident can be found for almost
any kind of person - thousands, in fact.

"they act exactly like the drug addicts that I knew..."

Opinion? Yes.
Expressed as such? No
By your intriguing definition, a lie? Yes.

Once more, the concision in your statement has led to it becoming less
valid than it could have been. The use of the word "exactly" creates
such an overwhelming exaggeration (something not necessary other than
when stating an opinion) that I don't feel I should need to explain
how this statement cannot be valid when speaking of human behaviour to
a doctor of psychology. I cannot see how you can so boldly announce to
the world that all mountain biker's act EXACTLY like drug addicts
without the realisation of how misinformed you sound to the public:
Physical reaction to deprivation? Not that I can see.

So that last objection was a little pedantic, but it still fits within
your lovely little definition of a lie. May I suggest that when you
split my email into sections to "disprove" [giggles to himself]
everything I have to say, you pay more attention to each point I make?
I have put an asterisk at the end of each for your benefit.

Awaiting your reply with the sort of anticipation that one would not
usually admit to have, if their opponent weren't so amusing to read
from when believing in they're own higher intellect,

Owen Lewis.