Why is there so much spam.. and why is it not deleted?

cycling_jedi

Aug 13, 2006
Well? Why dont the moderators delete all the spam on this forum? Everyday I have to sift through the posts to figure out which ones are real and which are pointless spam.

It really gets annoying... if there are even any moderators here, can you answer this for me?

The spam is getting to the stage where I don't feel like sifting through it to find out what is going on, on the forum! The perpetrators obviously aren't worried about any consequences!

That is one of the reasons I only have a relative few posts for the time I've been a member and now only venture in here when I have nothing else to do. The spam is completely out of hand in here and needs to be dealt with.

Yes - it is annoying - especially since lately there has been a rash of people joining this forum for the sole purpose of posting their junk who don't care about being banned because they're not the least bit interested in the content of this forum - but I have to side with the mods for this reason....

This is a huge forum with thousands of threads and posts and it is growing every day. It just isn't practical for them to be constantly patrolling the boards looking for spam - it would be too time-consuming. They need to depend on us to let them know about it - that's what the "Report Spam" link in every post is for.

Although some of it is obvious in the form of new threads, a lot of other spam messages are also contained within threads as well. I remember one time a few months ago, I reported (and quoted) a pyramid scheme message I found within a thread in this forum, the next day it was gone with the message I quoted replaced by the words "spam removed".

I speak from experience having been a mod on a game forum....

It just isn't practical for them to be constantly patrolling the boards looking for spam - it would be too time-consuming. They need to depend on us to let them know about it - that's what the "Report Spam" link in every post is for.

A valued point we appreciated the time spent by the moderators and site owners in giving us this excellent cycling site.

The Spam report button should be connected with a command that on say 10 complaints from registered/profile members it automatically gets deleted.

I also was under the impression that the moderators should go through the contents of the site at least once a day, checking for spam, undersirable posts.

That said I rather have the site as is than no site.

Well done to the all the guys behind the scenes.

garage sale GT said:
I didn't think it was so out of hand, but I report it when I see it, then forget about it.
There is a lot of spam and some of it consists of one spammer making multiple posts each of which which list hundreds of products. They post across the board so that those forums which have little action on them (such as unicycling) consist of more adverts for mobile phones and playstations than real posts.
The problem with these posts is that when there are lots they can make the site busy and slow it down for real posters. It is important therefore that these posts are deleted as well as the spammers being banned. Blocking the IP address of a spammer would would make it harder for them to re-register and spam again.
Other spammers hijack threads on nutrition for instance and then post links to a commercial site selling pills and potions.
All spam posts need to be reported, the mods don't have time to check every post themselves but I don't see why they can't act when it is brought to their attention.

cyberlegend1994 said:
Yes - it is annoying - especially since lately there has been a rash of people joining this forum for the sole purpose of posting their junk who don't care about being banned because they're not the least bit interested in the content of this forum - but I have to side with the mods for this reason....

This is a huge forum with thousands of threads and posts and it is growing every day. It just isn't practical for them to be constantly patrolling the boards looking for spam - it would be too time-consuming. They need to depend on us to let them know about it - that's what the "Report Spam" link in every post is for.

Although some of it is obvious in the form of new threads, a lot of other spam messages are also contained within threads as well. I remember one time a few months ago, I reported (and quoted) a pyramid scheme message I found within a thread in this forum, the next day it was gone with the message I quoted replaced by the words "spam removed".

I speak from experience having been a mod on a game forum....
I have used the "report SPAM" link many times and they are never deleted...

I understand that mods cant check every single post in all categories, but the spam is so blatant that most of it should be getting deleted....

Come to speak of it though... WHO ARE THE MODS HERE? I know that in most forums, moderators are "high ranking" users as it were and they check threads as they are surfing the forum, but I havent noticed the word moderator under anyone's name.

Spam will get by every now and again.... But you can see from the titles of new threads that they need to be deleted... When you have threads with titles like "sidekick 3 for just 150usd,xbox 360 for just 200usd nokia n93 for just 180usd " or "This is Worth Trying! $$$ EXTRA INCOME WITH PAYPAL! "... you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know they dont belong.

The site owner needs to designate a few active members in each forum as spam deleters and give them privileges to delete posts.

Leaving the posts encourages spammers.

cycling_jedi said:
Come to speak of it though... WHO ARE THE MODS HERE? I know that in most forums, moderators are "high ranking" users as it were and they check threads as they are surfing the forum, but I havent noticed the word moderator under anyone's name.
The mods are listed as "community team" members - limerickman is one of them. Their names are also in bold and colored. Steve is the admin - he chooses the mods.

I think one reason the spammers post on this site so much is that their posts come up on various RSS and XML feeds around the web. For instance, I just saw these two in the Cycling Forums module on my My Yahoo page:

# why buy with stress!!!!!!!!?we shipout to you at lowcost
- 24 minutes ago
# All Latest Brands Ofmobiles,ipods,video Games And Pdas For Sale

And that's just one site. Who knows how many other sitese these appear on. Lots of free traffic for these a**holes.

You know, the only reason spammers still spam is that there's still enough idiots out there that click on their links and actually buy stuff from them.

^
BTW that above comment about idiots clicking on spam links wasn't directed toward anyone here, just a rant about all the idiots elsewhere who perpetuate the whole thing.