Why Lance was the best

steve26

Apr 2, 2005
Well it is apparent that the entire tour dopes. So now a world class cyclist must not only train hard, have a great team, but must be able to hide his doping.

No one was more searched than Lance...and he never was caught.

The best...simply the best!

steve26 said:
Well it is apparent that the entire tour dopes. So now a world class cyclist must not only train hard, have a great team, but must be able to hide his doping.

1. Lance Armstrong, United States, Discovery Channel, 86 hours, 15 minutes, 2 seconds.
2. Ivan Basso, Italy, CSC, 4 minutes, 40 seconds behind.
3. Jan Ullrich, Germany, T-Mobile, 6:21.
4. Francisco Mancebo, Spain, Illes Balears, 9:59.
5. Alexandre Vinokourov, Kazakhstan, T-Mobile, 11:01.
6. Levi Leipheimer, United States, Gerolsteiner, 11:21.
7. Mickael Rasmussen, Denmark, Rabobank, 11:33.
8. Cadel Evans, Australia, Davitamon-Lotto, 11:55.
9. Floyd Landis, United States, Phonak, 12:44.
10. Oscar Pereiro, Spain, Phonak, 16:04.
11. Christophe Moreau, France, Credit Agricole, 16:26.
12. Yaroslav Popovych, Ukraine, Discovery Channel, 19:02.
13. Eddy Mazzoleni, Italy, Lampre, 21:06.
14. George Hincapie, United States, Discovery Channel, 23:40.

whiteboytrash said:
1. Lance Armstrong, United States, Discovery Channel, 86 hours, 15 minutes, 2 seconds.
2. Ivan Basso, Italy, CSC, 4 minutes, 40 seconds behind.
3. Jan Ullrich, Germany, T-Mobile, 6:21.
4. Francisco Mancebo, Spain, Illes Balears, 9:59.
5. Alexandre Vinokourov, Kazakhstan, T-Mobile, 11:01.
6. Levi Leipheimer, United States, Gerolsteiner, 11:21.
7. Mickael Rasmussen, Denmark, Rabobank, 11:33.
8. Cadel Evans, Australia, Davitamon-Lotto, 11:55.
9. Floyd Landis, United States, Phonak, 12:44.
10. Oscar Pereiro, Spain, Phonak, 16:04.
11. Christophe Moreau, France, Credit Agricole, 16:26.
12. Yaroslav Popovych, Ukraine, Discovery Channel, 19:02.
13. Eddy Mazzoleni, Italy, Lampre, 21:06.
14. George Hincapie, United States, Discovery Channel, 23:40.
Heras? Hamilton?

leerobbs said:
It's obvious...he never got caught!
Well, not until right after he retired when it was revealed he was using EPO in 1999. I guess Dr. Ferrari forgot to warn him about undetectable dope someday becoming detectable.

Well... if you put it that way...

Honorable Mention goes to

Miguel Indurain - Never got caught either... still a national hero

Bjarne "Mr.60%" Riis - Really had nothing on him until he admitted it.

Pedro Delgado - okay... this guy takes the cake... downright tested positive... didn't contest it... got off anyway and everybody just shrugged their shoulders.

Does anyone else see the irony in doping positives and related issues resulting in a Discovery Tour champion?

And to answer the thread question... Disco likely does their doping in-house.

IH8LANCE said:
I guess you must have been training in Mexico when the news broke:

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9932.0.html
Yeah, right. The Vrijman report was a complete whitewash that never dealt with how EPO came to be found in Armstrong's urine. It's been discredited by WADA and the LNDD because Vrijman never went to the bother of obtaining the information that would have been needed to do a proper investigation. He got his orders from the UCI and assembled a bogus report to support his preformed conclusions.

Bro Deal said:
Yeah, right. The Vrijman report was a complete whitewash that never dealt with how EPO came to be found in Armstrong's urine.
I doubt you've read it, because it does. But your point is valid. No one knows for sure how it got there, because NO ONE BOTHERED TO MAINTAIN A CHAIN OF CUSTODY OF THE SAMPLES.

It's been discredited by WADA and the LNDD because Vrijman never went to the bother of obtaining the information that would have been needed to do a proper investigation. He got his orders from the UCI and assembled a bogus report to support his preformed conclusions.
This is all well and good. Gee, you'd think with such an outrageous whitewash job by UCI and their dastardly Dutch yes-man, WADA would have countered it with their own.

Nada. Nothing. Zilch. They *****ed and moaned, and then slinked off to lick their wounds. Vrijman fried them, as they deserved to be fried, for a shameful lack of compliance with their own protocols.

Don't get me wrong. Lance was doping, IMO. But L'Equipe's manufacturing of news for their own newspaper was as flagrant a witch-hunt as can be imagined, and I'm glad Armstrong was able to thumb his nose at them and the WADA bastards who orchestrated it.

Bro Deal said:
Yeah, right. The Vrijman report was a complete whitewash that never dealt with how EPO came to be found in Armstrong's urine. It's been discredited by WADA and the LNDD because Vrijman never went to the bother of obtaining the information that would have been needed to do a proper investigation. He got his orders from the UCI and assembled a bogus report to support his preformed conclusions.
While I am sure he doped, being discredited by LNDD is like Michael Jackson accusing someone of being a pervert.

IH8LANCE said:
I doubt you've read it, because it does. But your point is valid. No one knows for sure how it got there, because NO ONE BOTHERED TO MAINTAIN A CHAIN OF CUSTODY OF THE SAMPLES.
You are falling into the logic of Vrijman's whitewash. He set up a strawman that in order to be positive, the proper protocol had to be followed. But the retro-testing on the 1999 samples was done for research purposes; there was never a requirement to follow the exact protocol. The issue was never whether the EPO found in Armstrong's urine constituted a positive that could lead to a sanction. It could not.; there was no A sample confirmation, so Armstrong could never be punished for his doping.

The issue was if EPO was found. It was, and Vrijamn ignored it. Instead he concentrated on a legalistic defense of how the EPO was not a positive under the rules, which was never questioned in the first place.

Armstrong had the opportunity to have the remaining urine DNA tested to see if it was his. He chose not to. There was never one shred of evidence that the samples were not Armstrong's.

Bro Deal said:
You are falling into the logic of Vrijman's whitewash. He set up a strawman that in order to be positive, the proper protocol had to be followed. But the retro-testing on the 1999 samples was done for research purposes; there was never a requirement to follow the exact protocol. The issue was never whether the EPO found in Armstrong's urine constituted a positive that could lead to a sanction. It could not.; there was no A sample confirmation, so Armstrong could never be punished for his doping.

The issue was if EPO was found. It was, and Vrijamn ignored it. Instead he concentrated on a legalistic defense of how the EPO was not a positive under the rules, which was never questioned in the first place.

Armstrong had the opportunity to have the remaining urine DNA tested to see if it was his. He chose not to. There was never one shred of evidence that the samples were not Armstrong's.
Good summation.

Tubbs said:
Well... if you put it that way...

Honorable Mention goes to

Bjarne "Mr.60%" Riis - Really had nothing on him until he admitted it.
The Danes knew for years before Riis finally admitted it. They dealt with it in true Danish fashion---a trait they have which is good and not-so-good all at the same time.
I'm not dissing the Danes.....I love 'em. I married one of them.

But they deal with life and events differently than Americans do. Do they do things better than we do? nah not really---just different. Like when you visit Europe and you marvel at how f*cking cool things are in Europe. Things are just different that's all. They'll visit the USandA and pretty much feel and say the same, ''Ja, America is so big and cool, ja! very f*cking cool!! Ganz gut!!! Meget godt!!! Primo!! Bloody good!! Oui-oui!!"............"except for the fact that americans are such f*cking fat bloaters!!" (right they are...but the euros are catching up to us in the ''just push away from the buffet table ONCE ferchrissakes okay?" department. they are----not summat to be proud of)

helmutRoole2 said:
Good summation.

Sure, if you a LA hater and think testing 7 years later with no chain of custody is not a sign of bias and incompetence. :rolleyes:

Let's wait until he retires unbeaten with 7 TdF's and then (and only then) will be dig up the "evidence" of his alleged EPO use.

A joke really ....

I'll tell you why lance is the best .... * he carries rock star status. He was in the area last night and did the cancer speech thing. Chris Matthews [Hardball] did the interview...... But during the ride people were waiting to catch a glimpse of him riding along the 60 mile route. Presidential canidate John Edwards was also on the ride and people could have cared less. Old people , young people, and farmers and yuppies wanted to see Lance......... I had to park 3 blocks away from my own home because of the crowds he brought in...... And hey...... Neither the Grateful Dead nor the Rolling Stones in their prime brought that many people to my neighborhood.
The cancer survivors who meet him had nothing but great things to say about him......
He may be bigger then Jesus.

* that and the fact he is the best TDF rider of all time.

steve26 said:

Lance was great but it seems odd to talk about the best and not mention the man who won the Yellow, Green, and Polkadot jersey his first tour. The man who won every year until they asked him if he would set out to let some supense back into the race. A man who didnt just train for the Tour De France like Lance but raced and won several races each year. You know who. :cool:

wolfix said:
I'll tell you why lance is the best .... * he carries rock star status. He was in the area last night and did the cancer speech thing. Chris Matthews [Hardball] did the interview...... But during the ride people were waiting to catch a glimpse of him riding along the 60 mile route. Presidential canidate John Edwards was also on the ride and people could have cared less. Old people , young people, and farmers and yuppies wanted to see Lance......... I had to park 3 blocks away from my own home because of the crowds he brought in...... And hey...... Neither the Grateful Dead nor the Rolling Stones in their prime brought that many people to my neighborhood.
The cancer survivors who meet him had nothing but great things to say about him......
which is why if he DID dope-cheat, then he takes that secret to his grave.

Unless he falls to his knees someday to give his life to the one and only Savior you mentioned above.

wolfix said:

* that and the fact he is the best TDF rider of all time.
mm some small thinsg to add:
- Noone has found actual evidence concerning the height of JC
- Merckx would have rode circles around him.
- Would the beatles have done it?

But seriously..

I agree that he is a great inspiration. A walking symbol for those people who do have cancer and need someone to look up to and be able to say "see?? I can overcome this ****! And I can live on to be whatever I want!"

He does good work, I respect him for what he is.