Why me?

Man o' Tea

Guest
I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

Man o' Tea wrote:
> I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
> but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
> commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

Clear your cookies.

Got to love the power of Marketing, and the stupidity that comes with
it. My wife used my SpeedoUSA account to order a suit for her. Now,
once a month, Speedo sends an e-mail telling me how good I will look in
one of their new bikinis.

Man o' Tea wrote:
> I regularly use two anti-spyware packages.

It's not spyware. You've been to a site that uses one of these tracking
packages to monitor your shopping habits.

Then the marketing bods generate an email list from that.

Man o' Tea wrote:
> I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
> but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
> commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

Donal,
Are you absolutely sure you didn't order the catalog? I don't think
spectrum is a big spammer--for one thing, their catalog is really slick
and sophisticated so I doubt that they are mailing them out pell-mell.
I have one, but I requested it. In addition to starting blocks, etc.
they sell reasonably priced suits, work out gear like those stretchy
ropes, etc.
madelaine

In article <[email protected]>,
Duke Kahanamoku <[email protected]> wrote:
>Man o' Tea wrote:
>> I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
>> but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
>> commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

>Clear your cookies.

Say, is this related to that prunes thread?

Yes, I'm sure. It is a nice catalog, though.

I do recall that I did go to the SwimAmerica site recently, because
they lease a swimming pool in an old YMCA that we're redesigning. I
looked at some of the CDs they had for sale, but I didn't buy anything.
Maybe that was it.

Steve wrote:
> Man o' Tea wrote:
>
>> I regularly use two anti-spyware packages.
>>

> It's not spyware. You've been to a site that uses one of these tracking
> packages to monitor your shopping habits.
>
> Then the marketing bods generate an email list from that.

Then he would have had to give them his email address.

Dave Rusin wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Duke Kahanamoku <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Man o' Tea wrote:
>>
>>>I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
>>>but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
>>>commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

>>Clear your cookies.

> Say, is this related to that prunes thread?

It is, actually.

Well, how did they get my snailmail address? Only The Finals, TI and a
few others that I've ordered swim stuff from should have that. Of
course there's also Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Chapters, some
architectural sites, the florist, various software vendors ...

Man o' Tea wrote:
> Well, how did they get my snailmail address? Only The Finals, TI and a
> few others that I've ordered swim stuff from should have that. Of
> course there's also Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Chapters, some
> architectural sites, the florist, various software vendors ...

I missed that. Thought you meant your email address. In that case, they
probably bought a mail address list from some business you have sent it to.