Why me?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Man o' Tea, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

    I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
    but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
    commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

    Tags:

  2. Man o' Tea wrote:
    > I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
    > but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
    > commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

    Clear your cookies.

  3. Got to love the power of Marketing, and the stupidity that comes with
    it. My wife used my SpeedoUSA account to order a suit for her. Now,
    once a month, Speedo sends an e-mail telling me how good I will look in
    one of their new bikinis.

    Duke Kahanamoku wrote:
    > Man o' Tea wrote:
    > > I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun

    reading,
    > > but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
    > > commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

    > Clear your cookies.

  4. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

    I regularly use two anti-spyware packages.

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Man o' Tea wrote:
    > I regularly use two anti-spyware packages.

    It's not spyware. You've been to a site that uses one of these tracking
    packages to monitor your shopping habits.

    Then the marketing bods generate an email list from that.

  6. Madelaine

    Madelaine Guest

    Man o' Tea wrote:
    > I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
    > but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
    > commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

    Donal,
    Are you absolutely sure you didn't order the catalog? I don't think
    spectrum is a big spammer--for one thing, their catalog is really slick
    and sophisticated so I doubt that they are mailing them out pell-mell.
    I have one, but I requested it. In addition to starting blocks, etc.
    they sell reasonably priced suits, work out gear like those stretchy
    ropes, etc.
    madelaine

  7. Dave Rusin

    Dave Rusin Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Duke Kahanamoku <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Man o' Tea wrote:
    >> I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
    >> but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
    >> commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

    >Clear your cookies.

    Say, is this related to that prunes thread?

  8. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

    Yes, I'm sure. It is a nice catalog, though.

    I do recall that I did go to the SwimAmerica site recently, because
    they lease a swimming pool in an old YMCA that we're redesigning. I
    looked at some of the CDs they had for sale, but I didn't buy anything.
    Maybe that was it.

  9. Steve wrote:
    > Man o' Tea wrote:
    >
    >> I regularly use two anti-spyware packages.
    >>

    > It's not spyware. You've been to a site that uses one of these tracking
    > packages to monitor your shopping habits.
    >
    > Then the marketing bods generate an email list from that.

    Then he would have had to give them his email address.

  10. Dave Rusin wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Duke Kahanamoku <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Man o' Tea wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just got an unsolicited catalog from Spectrum Aquatics. Fun reading,
    >>>but I wonder why they think I'd be in the market for expensive
    >>>commercial pool equipment like starting blocks and swim-lifts?

    >>Clear your cookies.

    > Say, is this related to that prunes thread?

    It is, actually.

  11. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

    Well, how did they get my snailmail address? Only The Finals, TI and a
    few others that I've ordered swim stuff from should have that. Of
    course there's also Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Chapters, some
    architectural sites, the florist, various software vendors ...

  12. Man o' Tea wrote:
    > Well, how did they get my snailmail address? Only The Finals, TI and a
    > few others that I've ordered swim stuff from should have that. Of
    > course there's also Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Chapters, some
    > architectural sites, the florist, various software vendors ...

    I missed that. Thought you meant your email address. In that case, they
    probably bought a mail address list from some business you have sent it to.