Why no "Lance Armstrong" bike range from Trek?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Craig Boyle, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Craig Boyle

    Craig Boyle Guest

    Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek hasn't chosen to market his name more
    through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a lock on Trek's "named after a TdF
    winner" bikes.

    It just seems that as long as he is riding, the name "Lance Armstrong" could sell any number of
    carbon treks, water bottles, shoes etc. - just as in many other pro-sports.

    IIRC, there was a yellow Trek 5500 TDF replica, but that's about it. They could at least do a Trek
    5900 "Lance Edition" with downtube shifter etc. for authenticity.

    Any thoughts? Especially from trek retailers.

    Craig

    Tags:

  2. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek hasn't chosen to market his name more
    >through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a lock on Trek's "named after a
    >TdF winner"

    And Lemond was a better rider winning more championships plus Greg knows how to design a good bike.
    Lance will fade once the Tour allows some of the better riders in it again. All the contenders were
    kept out last year.

  3. Garry N

    Garry N Guest

    Lance own's the naming rights and advertising rights to even his image. There have been stories
    published how he has gone after advertizers useing his image in print. I am sure that he will offer
    up a bike line sometime, but I think he is being wise to avoid it now. Trek has done a USPS Team
    bike for the last 3 years. G-

    "Craig Boyle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek hasn't chosen to market his name more
    > through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a lock on Trek's "named after a
    > TdF winner" bikes.
    >
    > It just seems that as long as he is riding, the name "Lance Armstrong" could sell any number of
    > carbon treks, water bottles, shoes etc. - just as in many other pro-sports.
    >
    > IIRC, there was a yellow Trek 5500 TDF replica, but that's about it. They could at least do a Trek
    > 5900 "Lance Edition" with downtube shifter etc. for authenticity.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Especially from trek retailers.
    >

    > Craig

  4. Xelbon

    Xelbon Guest

    Who was kept out last year?

    news:[email protected]...

  5. Jkpoulos7 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Who was kept out last year

    > Cipolini,

    You must be joking. Are you trying to say that Cipollini could've challenged Armstrong for the
    yellow jersey? Has Cipollini ever finished any of the three-week tours? AFAIK he, like many other
    pure sprinters, tend to bail out when the serious mountain stages start. I might be in the minority
    here, but I don't think riders who don't even want to finish have a place in the grand tours. For
    sprinters there's the points competition, but Cipollini obviously doesn't want to work hard enough
    for that. There are plenty of prestigious, flat one-day races for sprinters like Cipollini.

    > Ulrich,

    He was injured. End of story.

    > Pantani

    You must be joking, again. Did you see how he did in the Giro? There were very few particularly
    strong riders in his team, so I don't think letting them in to the Tour would've been right, if
    teams like Coast were kept out. Mercatone Uno finished dead last in division 1 last year, by a
    significant margin.

    -as

  6. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Craig Boyle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek hasn't chosen to market his name more
    > through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a lock on Trek's "named after a
    > TdF winner" bikes.
    >
    > It just seems that as long as he is riding, the name "Lance Armstrong" could sell any number of
    > carbon treks, water bottles, shoes etc. - just as in many other pro-sports.
    >
    > IIRC, there was a yellow Trek 5500 TDF replica, but that's about it. They could at least do a Trek
    > 5900 "Lance Edition" with downtube shifter etc. for authenticity.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Especially from trek retailers.

    Since when does Trek own Lance Armstrong's name?

    The usual approach is for a rider to retire first, then become a bicycle manufacturer (at least in
    name) - Moser might have been an exception, though.

    Andy Coggan

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jkpoulos7) wrote:

    > >Who was kept out last year
    >
    > Cipolini, Ulrich, Pantani

    Cipollini has never been a "contender" for the Tour.

    Pantani is washed up, and can't be a contender without his 60% Hct count.

    Ullrich was out because of injury, leading to a positive drug test for a recreational substance.

    pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Antti Salonen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jkpoulos7 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >>Who was kept out last year
    >
    > > Cipolini,
    >
    > You must be joking. Are you trying to say that Cipollini could've challenged Armstrong for the
    > yellow jersey? Has Cipollini ever finished any of the three-week tours? AFAIK he, like many other
    > pure sprinters, tend to bail out when the serious mountain stages start. I might be in the
    > minority here, but I don't think riders who don't even want to finish have a place in the grand
    > tours. For sprinters there's the points competition, but Cipollini obviously doesn't want to work
    > hard enough for that. There are plenty of prestigious, flat one-day races for sprinters like
    > Cipollini.

    Cipollini has finished the Giro d'Italia on 2 or 3 occasions, taking the overall points jersey
    each time.

    > > Ulrich,
    >
    > He was injured. End of story.

    He was injured, and on his way to a suspension for drug use.

    > > Pantani
    >
    > You must be joking, again. Did you see how he did in the Giro? There were very few particularly
    > strong riders in his team, so I don't think letting them in to the Tour would've been right, if
    > teams like Coast were kept out. Mercatone Uno finished dead last in division 1 last year, by a
    > significant margin.
    >
    > -as

    pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

  9. craig-<< Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek hasn't chosen to market his
    name more through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a lock on Trek's "named
    after a TdF winner" bikes.

    maybe even TREK can't afford to pay lance what he would want-Subaru just paid him $12 million.

  10. Pete Geurds

    Pete Geurds Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >maybe even TREK can't afford to pay lance what he would want-Subaru just paid him $12 million.

    What did they pay him $12 for?

    Is he going to be in commercials? Armstrong edition Outback? : )

    Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

  11. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Jkpoulos7 at [email protected] wrote on 3/10/03 3:27 PM:

    >> Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek hasn't chosen to market his name
    >> more through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a lock on Trek's "named
    >> after a TdF winner"
    >
    > And Lemond was a better rider winning more championships plus Greg knows how to design a good
    > bike. Lance will fade once the Tour allows some of the better riders in it again. All the
    > contenders were kept out last year.

    oh crikey -

    - this is why I stopped reading rec.bicycles.racing...

  12. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    > "Craig Boyle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek hasn't chosen to market his name
    > > more through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a lock on Trek's "named
    > > after a TdF winner" bikes.
    > >
    > > It just seems that as long as he is riding, the name "Lance Armstrong" could sell any number of
    > > carbon treks, water bottles, shoes etc. - just as in many other pro-sports.
    > >
    > > IIRC, there was a yellow Trek 5500 TDF replica, but that's about it. They could at least do a
    > > Trek 5900 "Lance Edition" with downtube shifter etc. for authenticity.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts? Especially from trek retailers.
    >
    > Since when does Trek own Lance Armstrong's name?
    >
    > The usual approach is for a rider to retire first, then become a bicycle manufacturer (at least in
    > name) - Moser might have been an exception, though.

    Agree, when Greg Lemond tried to run a cycling business while still competing, in the early 90s, he
    ended up having a falling out with his Dad about the how the business was being runned (and where
    the money was going), which eventually led to Greg selling his name to Trek....

  13. > craig-<< Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek
    hasn't
    > chosen to market his name more through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a
    > lock on Trek's "named after a TdF winner" bikes.
    >
    > maybe even TREK can't afford to pay lance what he would want-Subaru just
    paid
    > him $12 million.

    TREK considers themselves *very* fortunate that Lance actually likes the product. They've managed to
    keep him happy by providing him with very good stuff, and continue to work with him on a regular
    basis for future products. TREK has also benefitted from supporting Lance well before his first TDF
    victory. Say what you will about Lance, but he does have some degree of loyalty for those who signed
    on with him when he was unproven.

    Greg does not, as far as I know, have any sort of exclusive regarding the naming of a bike line
    after a TDF winner.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

    > craig-<< Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek
    hasn't
    > chosen to market his name more through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a
    > lock on Trek's "named after a TdF winner" bikes.
    >
    > maybe even TREK can't afford to pay lance what he would want-Subaru just
    paid
    > him $12 million.

  14. > Agree, when Greg Lemond tried to run a cycling business while still competing, in the early 90s,
    > he ended up having a falling out with his Dad about the how the business was being runned (and
    > where the money was going), which eventually led to Greg selling his name to Trek....

    I do not believe Greg has "sold" his name to TREK. Rather, he has a licensing agreement that
    continues for "x" number of years, at which time it is renegotiated. This has already come up once,
    if I recall correctly, and the fact that it continues indicates it's a good working relationship for
    both sides.

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Craig Boyle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Considering Lance's worldwide appeal, it amazes me that Trek hasn't chosen to market his name
    > > > more through his own bike line. All I can imagine is that LeMond has a lock on Trek's "named
    > > > after a TdF winner" bikes.
    > > >
    > > > It just seems that as long as he is riding, the name "Lance Armstrong" could sell any number
    > > > of carbon treks, water bottles, shoes etc. - just as in many other pro-sports.
    > > >
    > > > IIRC, there was a yellow Trek 5500 TDF replica, but that's about it. They could at least do a
    > > > Trek 5900 "Lance Edition" with downtube shifter etc. for authenticity.
    > > >
    > > > Any thoughts? Especially from trek retailers.
    > >
    > > Since when does Trek own Lance Armstrong's name?
    > >
    > > The usual approach is for a rider to retire first, then become a bicycle manufacturer (at least
    > > in name) - Moser might have been an exception, though.
    > >
    > Agree, when Greg Lemond tried to run a cycling business while still competing, in the early 90s,
    > he ended up having a falling out with his Dad about the how the business was being runned (and
    > where the money was going), which eventually led to Greg selling his name to Trek....

  15. raleigh-<< What did they pay him $12 for?

    Is he going to be in commercials? Armstrong edition Outback?

    That's 12 MILLION dollars and he is going to hype Subaru-like Tiger 'sell's' Buick or something..

  16. Gocycle

    Gocycle Guest

    Cippo never finishes major mountain events. Usually has a face plant, gastro-intestinal problems
    etc. The BEST damn sprinter!

    Luigi "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jkpoulos7) wrote:
    >
    > > >Who was kept out last year
    > >
    > > Cipolini, Ulrich, Pantani
    >

    > Cipollini has never been a "contender" for the Tour.
    >
    > Pantani is washed up, and can't be a contender without his 60% Hct count.
    >
    > Ullrich was out because of injury, leading to a positive drug test for a recreational substance.
    >
    > --
    > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

  17. Pete Geurds

    Pete Geurds Guest

    >That's 12 MILLION dollars and he is going to hype Subaru-like Tiger 'sell's' Buick or something..

    oops, right, 12 million dollars. Hope he does better in commercials than Tiger Woods. Most of those
    have been pretty lame. How about a signed "Armstrong Special" Trek with every WRX hillclimb special?

    Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

  18. Mrvongole

    Mrvongole Guest

    >Lance will fade once the Tour allows some of the better riders in it again. All the contenders were
    >kept out last year.

    Of course you mean contenders like [email protected](snicker, snicker....)