why no more steel bikes?

Luke wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:09:42 -0400, Peter Cole
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Actually, you're wrong. Current state of the art beverage cans...

> <snip>
>
> I must be out of touch. Isn't a 'state of the art' beverage can
> oxymoronic?

absolutely not. have you any idea how much technology goes into those
things? we're talking serious research and development hours. over
decades.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Morten Reippuert Knudsen<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> What are beer cans made from? How strong are they

>> Strong enough if you avoid dents.

> Not necessarily easily avoided. Steel frames tolerate dents for years.
>
>>> Have you ever seen a sawed-apart Cannondale?
>>> Did you ever compare the anti-crushability stiffness of a steel
>>> beverage can with an aluminum one of the same diameter?

>> The difference is that a 1.7kg oversize aluminum frame doesn't have
>> paper thin rube walls and don't act like a bear can.

> Unforutnately the "beer can" problem is common with aluminum frames.

spoken from experience?

> Experience with oversize lightweight aluminum frames here in the US is
> frequently otherwise than what you claim. From the experiences of my
> friends, they are aluminum frames more likely to break than a steel
> frame. I have not had to replace my 1.88 kg steel frame in nearly 10
> years of racing, training, light touring, dirt road riding, etc. My
> friends with aluminum bikes have had to replace them due to broken tubes
> in shorter service lives (cracked head tube X1, cracked chainstays x2).
> I weigh 94 kg, they weigh 70-80 kg.

but that's not a tube thinness problem.

> A third had to replace a month old
> Cannondale after the frame was bent in a simple slip-out crash at a
> crit. None of them ride aluminum frames any more because of the
> durability problems- they have gone to either Ti or steel.

see above.

> If there are aluminum frames that work for you, that's great and have
> fun riding them. There are no current aluminum frames that meet my
> needs in the area of design, so it's not even an option for me to
> consider. The claim of superiority for Fe, Ti or Al as a material for
> making bike frames is specious and unprovable. It is a matter of which
> compromises you need to accommodate.

it's basic materials. morten's right on this - aluminum can mean
thicker more dent-resistant tube.

jim beam wrote:
> Luke wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:09:42 -0400, Peter Cole
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, you're wrong. Current state of the art beverage cans...

>> <snip>
>>
>> I must be out of touch. Isn't a 'state of the art' beverage can
>> oxymoronic?

> absolutely not. have you any idea how much technology goes into those
> things? we're talking serious research and development hours. over
> decades.

I attended a presentation by the head engineer of the can department at
Anheuser-Busch (as part of a class).

A tiny per can savings in manufacturing cost adds up when one is making
hundred of millions of cans per year.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition"

jim beam wrote:
> ok, let's see.
>
> candidate a: big brand diet coke can - aluminum.
> candidate b: import japanese beer can - steel....

I will help in the testing next time, as long as I drink the Japanese
beer and you drink the Diet Coke. ;)

Tim McNamara wrote:
> Unforutnately the "beer can" problem is common with aluminum frames....

Aluminium (alloy) frames contain poor quality beer? ;)

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition"

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 12, 9:41 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Who that wears turbans is using IED's? (Possibly part of the low level
> > conflict in Kashmir?)

> The 'Taliban.'

Bicycling ran a series of articles by a guy who was riding around the
world. His worst experience was riding across Afghanistan.

Chas.

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

be

Rivendell)

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps/1995/3.html

> Art Harris

Jobst rides a very large frame, at least 64cm (25"). He is an experienced
enough cyclist to have realized that the chainstay should have been
replaced rather than patched. Even better he should have used another
frame and not have set out on such a demanding trip with a frame that was
likely to fail.

Chas.

On Aug 11, 11:54 pm, Sushi Fish <[email protected]> wrote:
> steel is cheap and alu is even cheaper, the difference is not much
> different. why don't they make steel bike anymore when the weight diff
> is minuscule?

they ran out of steel

In article <[email protected]>,
"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Aug 12, 9:41 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Who that wears turbans is using IED's? (Possibly part of the low
> > > level conflict in Kashmir?)

> > The 'Taliban.'
> >

> Bicycling ran a series of articles by a guy who was riding around the
> world. His worst experience was riding across Afghanistan.

Have a read through Thomas Stevens's "Around the World on a Wheel" from
1887 or whenever it was. That part of the world was very difficult then
for the Western tourist. OTOH Dervla Murphy had an extremely positive
experience cycling across the Middle East alone in the 60s. I think
that much depends on random chance (when you go, what's going on in the
political climate etc) and how you approach people.

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:13:54 -0700, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> Read about Jobst's emergency frame repair in the alps:
>>

>http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps/1995/3.html
>>
>> Art Harris

>Jobst rides a very large frame, at least 64cm (25"). He is an experienced
>enough cyclist to have realized that the chainstay should have been
>replaced rather than patched. Even better he should have used another
>frame and not have set out on such a demanding trip with a frame that was
>likely to fail.
>
>Chas.

Dear Chas,

Well . . .

"Then I saw that the right chainstay had separated about 30mm ahead of
the dropout. This faulty tube had broken at midspan about two years
ago, and was splinted and brazed."

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps/1995/3.html

It sounds as if the original brazing repair lasted two years.

I suspect that Jobst may still be riding the same welding-repaired
frame. This picture shows (I _think_) the welded area:

http://mly.smugmug.com/gallery/1895371#125761100-O-LB

(from http://mly.smugmug.com/gallery/1895371#125761100 )

When Jobst returns from his current tour of the Alps, he can let us
know if it's the same frame from 1995 and whether he had the tube
replaced or is happy with the repair.

Jobst's description in the second paragraph of his tour descriptions
didn't change the frame details in 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997:

" . . . the frame is steel and about 26" with oversized top and down
tubes . . ."

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1997/Tour_of_the_Alps_97.html

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1996/Tour_of_the_Alps_96.html

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1995/Tour_of_the_Alps_95.html

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1994/Tour_of_the_Alps_94.html

In 1996 and 1997, the opening heading was "How and what I took along
(Same story as before)."

For what it's worth, here's a Honda trials machine frame, welded at
what would be roughly the seat post on a bicycle, if bicycle seat
posts split into an upside-down Y:

http://i12.tinypic.com/6329bww.jpg

Gas tank on the left, rear fender and dual suspension frame-loop on
the left.

It broke clean through about 25 years ago when I foolishly pretended
that I was back in timed competition and had a wonderful time blasting
up and down a familiar mountain trail. So far, the repair has lasted.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> Unforutnately the "beer can" problem is common with aluminum frames.
> Experience with oversize lightweight aluminum frames here in the US is
> frequently otherwise than what you claim.

Please notice the weight of the frames i'm refering to. In denmark a
lot of riders has dent's in their aluminum Principia Rex's as well -
hoverver those don't weight in at 1700g, they weight arround 1200g.
1200g gram oversize aluminum acts as beercans as well as 1700g steel
frames.

> If there are aluminum frames that work for you, that's great and have
> fun riding them.

I've never owned an aluminum frame and i never will - i'm just trying
to explain why a cheap aluminum frame makes more sense than a simialr
priced steel frame.
Secondly im trying to explain the weaknes of stupid light and
expensive steel frames, because somebody in this group ofte compares
those expensive and stupid light steel frames to cheap aluminum frames
in the same weight rage.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

Tim McNamara wrote:

> Unforutnately the "beer can" problem is common with aluminum frames.
> Experience with oversize lightweight aluminum frames here in the US is
> frequently otherwise than what you claim. From the experiences of my
> friends, they are aluminum frames more likely to break than a steel
> frame.

Since most bicycles never get ridden anywhere near the amount that your
friends ride their bicycles, aluminum is "good enough" for most buyers,
and much more profitable to the manufacturer.

You wouldn't want to buy an aluminum-frame bicycle if you're a frequent
rider, though some people get away with it for years.

Steel is overkill for the usage that most bicycles get, of a few miles a
week, if that. The metal fatigue of aluminum will never be a problem for
the casual rider.

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 23:50:18 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:13:54 -0700, "* * Chas"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> Read about Jobst's emergency frame repair in the alps:
>>>

>>http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps/1995/3.html
>>>
>>> Art Harris

>>Jobst rides a very large frame, at least 64cm (25"). He is an experienced
>>enough cyclist to have realized that the chainstay should have been
>>replaced rather than patched. Even better he should have used another
>>frame and not have set out on such a demanding trip with a frame that was
>>likely to fail.
>>
>>Chas.

>Dear Chas,
>
>Well . . .
>
>"Then I saw that the right chainstay had separated about 30mm ahead of
>the dropout. This faulty tube had broken at midspan about two years
>ago, and was splinted and brazed."
>
>http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps/1995/3.html
>
>It sounds as if the original brazing repair lasted two years.
>
>I suspect that Jobst may still be riding the same welding-repaired
>frame. This picture shows (I _think_) the welded area:
>
>http://mly.smugmug.com/gallery/1895371#125761100-O-LB
>
>(from http://mly.smugmug.com/gallery/1895371#125761100 )
>
>When Jobst returns from his current tour of the Alps, he can let us
>know if it's the same frame from 1995 and whether he had the tube
>replaced or is happy with the repair.
>
>Jobst's description in the second paragraph of his tour descriptions
>didn't change the frame details in 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997:
>
>" . . . the frame is steel and about 26" with oversized top and down
>tubes . . ."
>
>http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1997/Tour_of_the_Alps_97.html
>
>http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1996/Tour_of_the_Alps_96.html
>
>http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1995/Tour_of_the_Alps_95.html
>
>http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1994/Tour_of_the_Alps_94.html
>
>In 1996 and 1997, the opening heading was "How and what I took along
>(Same story as before)."
>
>For what it's worth, here's a Honda trials machine frame, welded at
>what would be roughly the seat post on a bicycle, if bicycle seat
>posts split into an upside-down Y:
>
>http://i12.tinypic.com/6329bww.jpg
>
>Gas tank on the left, rear fender and dual suspension frame-loop on
>the left.
>
>It broke clean through about 25 years ago when I foolishly pretended
>that I was back in timed competition and had a wonderful time blasting
>up and down a familiar mountain trail. So far, the repair has lasted.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

Aha!

On 16 May 2005, Jobst wrote:

"This bicycle is over 15 years old and has at least 10,000 miles per
year on it."

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/c548e4b6cd90e7dc?hl=en&

Some pictures from the post that started that thread:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/04bicycles/pjohnsonJB04.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> >
> > Reality, what a concept. But it is very consumer-ish to throw money
> > after a problem to be solved. "Hard to get up hill", wait, I have it,
> > buy a .,lighter bike!!", Instead of riding more and losing 1 or 2 SBWs.
> > (1)
> >
> > (1) SBW-Standard Bike Weight=20 pounds

> Too true. A relative came to dinner the other night and I asked him how he
> liked his new carbon bike. He was riding a 2nd hand Litespeed entry level
> bike, forget the model but the one with a bead blasted finish. He really
> was getting into riding and mentioned last summer he wanted a carbon bike
> and I asked why. His Litespeed was a pretty good bike and perhaps some
> newer wheels would be better bang for the buck. Anyway, he bought the
> carbon whatever from a local Performance store. He seemed reluctant to tell
> me how he liked it but I pushed. Well, seems he does not really like it at
> all as it did not make him go any faster! I always tell people that light
> stuff is fun and feels nice while riding but rarely helps you get up a hill
> any faster.

It can get you down the hill faster.

--
Michael Press

Carl Fogel wrote:
..

> I suspect that Jobst may still be riding the same welding-repaired
> frame. This picture shows (I _think_) the welded area:
>
> http://mly.smugmug.com/gallery/1895371#125761100-O-LB

I think he would have replaced that chainstay after the 1995 failure.
But more recently he's mentioned rear dropout failures (which is why
he swtitched from 6 speed freewheels to 7 speed cassettes). I think
the photo above shows a dropout replacement.

> When Jobst returns from his current tour of the Alps, he can let us
> know if it's the same frame from 1995 and whether he had the tube
> replaced or is happy with the repair.

Yes indeed.

Art Harris

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > ... Unforutnately the "beer can" problem is common with aluminum
> > frames....

> Aluminium (alloy) frames contain poor quality beer? ;)

Are there *any* good beers in aluminum? :-D *

*(Actually yes- Boddington's and Tetley's are a couple of them).

On Aug 14, 1:53 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> [...]

> >what would be roughly the seat post on a bicycle, if bicycle seat
> >posts split into an upside-down Y:

> >http://i12.tinypic.com/6329bww.jpg

> >Gas tank on the left, rear fender and dual suspension frame-loop on
> >the left.

> >It broke clean through about 25 years ago when I foolishly pretended
> >that I was back in timed competition and had a wonderful time blasting
> >up and down a familiar mountain trail. So far, the repair has lasted.

> >Cheers,

> >Carl Fogel

> Aha!
>
> On 16 May 2005, Jobst wrote:
>
> "This bicycle is over 15 years old and has at least 10,000 miles per
> year on it."
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/c548e4b6cd90e7...
>
> Some pictures from the post that started that thread:

Wow, that's a big inner chain ring that Jobst has. He definitely gets
my respect for climbing the Alps with that. Anyone know how many teeth
are on it?

Smokey

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:10:33 -0700, Smokey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Aug 14, 1:53 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 23:50:18 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>> >Dear Chas,

>> >Well . . .

>> >"Then I saw that the right chainstay had separated about 30mm ahead of
>> >the dropout. This faulty tube had broken at midspan about two years
>> >ago, and was splinted and brazed."

>> >http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

>> >It sounds as if the original brazing repair lasted two years.

>> >I suspect that Jobst may still be riding the same welding-repaired
>> >frame. This picture shows (I _think_) the welded area:

>> >http://mly.smugmug.com/gallery/1895371#125761100-O-LB

>> >(fromhttp://mly.smugmug.com/gallery/1895371#125761100)

>> >When Jobst returns from his current tour of the Alps, he can let us
>> >know if it's the same frame from 1995 and whether he had the tube
>> >replaced or is happy with the repair.

>> >Jobst's description in the second paragraph of his tour descriptions
>> >didn't change the frame details in 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997:

>> >" . . . the frame is steel and about 26" with oversized top and down
>> >tubes . . ."

>> >http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

>> >http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

>> >http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

>> >http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

>> >In 1996 and 1997, the opening heading was "How and what I took along
>> >(Same story as before)."

>> >For what it's worth, here's a Honda trials machine frame, welded at
>> >what would be roughly the seat post on a bicycle, if bicycle seat
>> >posts split into an upside-down Y:

>> >http://i12.tinypic.com/6329bww.jpg

>> >Gas tank on the left, rear fender and dual suspension frame-loop on
>> >the left.

>> >It broke clean through about 25 years ago when I foolishly pretended
>> >that I was back in timed competition and had a wonderful time blasting
>> >up and down a familiar mountain trail. So far, the repair has lasted.

>> >Cheers,

>> >Carl Fogel

>> Aha!
>>
>> On 16 May 2005, Jobst wrote:
>>
>> "This bicycle is over 15 years old and has at least 10,000 miles per
>> year on it."
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/c548e4b6cd90e7...
>>
>> Some pictures from the post that started that thread:
>>
>> http://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/04bicycles/pjohnsonJB04.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

>Wow, that's a big inner chain ring that Jobst has. He definitely gets
>my respect for climbing the Alps with that. Anyone know how many teeth
>are on it?
>
>Smokey

Dear Smokey,

Jobst is notorious masher and uses a 50/46 x 13/24 six-speed:

"I used Avocet Road 700x28 wire-bead, non-Kevlar tires on 36 hole
Mavic MA-2 rims with 1.8-1.6mm DT spokes; Campagnolo Record brakes
(Kool-Stop red pads), small flange hubs with a SunTour new winner pro
6-speed FW 13-15-17-19-21-24, Sun Tour Pro derailleur and downtube
shift levers, and Shimano Dura Ace 180mm cranks with 46-50 CW . . ."

[email protected] wrote:
> Jobst is notorious masher and uses a 50/46 x 13/24 six-speed:
> "I used Avocet Road 700x28 wire-bead, non-Kevlar tires on 36 hole
> Mavic MA-2 rims with 1.8-1.6mm DT spokes; Campagnolo Record brakes
> (Kool-Stop red pads), small flange hubs with a SunTour new winner pro
> 6-speed FW 13-15-17-19-21-24, Sun Tour Pro derailleur and downtube
> shift levers, and Shimano Dura Ace 180mm cranks with 46-50 CW . . ."
> http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1997/Tour_of_the_Alps_97.html

Jobst Brandt is presently using the Shimano HG Seven 13~26 cassette.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org