why no more steel bikes?

still me wrote:

> Tsing-Tao anyone? Oh $hit... I bet it has lead in it.

I lived on Tsing Tao and Snow while I was in China. That **** is so
weak and tasteless I didn't need to drink the water.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster sucks, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Clive George wrote:
>>> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Wash your mouth out with soap, you revolting man. Well, it would
>>> give a similar effect :)
>>>
>>> Here, most good beers come in aluminium, but that's of the cask
>>> variety rather than can. TBH the decent beer market round here is
>>> mostly based around bottles. Although the steel cans of Cains I
>>> have downstairs are quite drinkable.
>>>
>>> (Bottles do have the advantage that you can keep the beer alive -
>>> unlike pasteurised can beer)

>> I like unfiltered beer with the yeast still in it.
>>
>> Yeasty beer, yum.

> Beer should be alive.
>
>> Local variety:
>> <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/spottedcow.html>. How can
>> anyone dislike a beer that has a picture of a Holstein-Friesian on
>> the label?

> It would go over well in my house (my wife is the general manager of a
> dairy cooperative). I haven't seen in here in the Twin Cities, perhaps
> it is not distributed into Minnesota. My wife goes to La Crosse and
> Westby regularly, I'll send her on a quest for New Glarus beer next time.

New Glarus Brewing Company only distributes to us cheeseheads, so you
have to cross the Cheddar Curtain to get it. No. 5:
<http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/faq.html>.

Here is the availability:
<http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beer%20schedule.html>. Fat Squirrel is
my other regular favorite. Belgian Red is "wow", but not something one
drinks regularly.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > The 'Taliban.'
> > >

> > Bicycling ran a series of articles by a guy who was riding around the
> > world. His worst experience was riding across Afghanistan.

> Have a read through Thomas Stevens's "Around the World on a Wheel" from
> 1887 or whenever it was. That part of the world was very difficult then
> for the Western tourist. OTOH Dervla Murphy had an extremely positive
> experience cycling across the Middle East alone in the 60s. I think
> that much depends on random chance (when you go, what's going on in the
> political climate etc) and how you approach people.

The Afghanistan region has never been conquered for a reason. Even
Alexander the Great learned that the hard way.

Chas.

news:[email protected]...

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

experienced

been

another

that was

of

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

descriptions

down

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

along

pretended

blasting

lasted.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/c548e4b6cd90e7...

> > Smokey <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Wow, that's a big inner chain ring that Jobst has. He definitely gets
> >> my respect for climbing the Alps with that. Anyone know how many

teeth

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries...our_of_the_Alps/1997/Tour_of_the_Alps_97.html

> Jobst Brandt is presently using the Shimano HG Seven 13~26 cassette.
> --
> Andrew Muzi

We all get old sometime...... ;-)

I can't push my 49/45 13-26 halfstep gears in the hills any more.

Chas.

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:43:12 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is insulting people "tech"?

Appears to be on-topic here if nothing else.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 12, 11:18 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Tim McNamara wrote:

will

> > > What are beer cans made from? How strong are they?

> > Real beer does NOT come in cans.
> >
> > > Have you ever seen a sawed-apart Cannondale?

> > > Did you ever compare the anti-crushability stiffness of a steel

beverage
> > > can with an aluminum one of the same diameter?

> > Give the drunk crushing aluminium cans on his head a steel can, an he
> > will knock himself out.
> >
> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > "I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!"
> >
> > --

> http://www.mickeys.com/homepage.php
>
> Only drink beer that comes in green bottles.....

What's wrong with you boy? You don't like Colarada Kool-Aide? Kuerze?

Chas.

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> still me <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:08:36 -0000, "Qui si parla
> > Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Only drink beer that comes in green bottles.....

> > Haffenraffers?

> Old Waschensachs.
>
> --
> Michael Press

Griesedieck (pronounced greasy ****)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griesedieck_Brothers_beer

I'll have a Leinie's thank you. Leinenkugel

Chas.

On Aug 16, 8:21 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...> >>>>> "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote

> http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

> experienced

> been

> another

> that was

> of

> http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...> >>>> It sounds as if the original brazing repair lasted two years.

> descriptions

> down

> http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...
>
> http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...
>
> http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...
>
> http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

> along

> pretended

> blasting

> lasted.

> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/c548e4b6cd90e7...

> teeth

> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Jobst is notorious masher and uses a 50/46 x 13/24 six-speed:
> > > "I used Avocet Road 700x28 wire-bead, non-Kevlar tires on 36 hole
> > > Mavic MA-2 rims with 1.8-1.6mm DT spokes; Campagnolo Record brakes
> > > (Kool-Stop red pads), small flange hubs with a SunTour new winner pro
> > > 6-speed FW 13-15-17-19-21-24, Sun Tour Pro derailleur and downtube
> > > shift levers, and Shimano Dura Ace 180mm cranks with 46-50 CW . . ."

> http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...
>

> > Jobst Brandt is presently using the Shimano HG Seven 13~26 cassette.
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi

> We all get old sometime...... ;-)
>
> I can't push my 49/45 13-26 halfstep gears in the hills any more.

And why should you? Not that I am a super low gear kind of guy, but I
was climbing a really steep grade on my way home from work, and some
kid goes steaming by on a fixed gear with probably a 65 inch gear.
Pretty impressive (this was a 25+ percent stair step), but he hit a
tipping point at the top of the next pitch where he could barely turn
the gear -- and where I caught up again, in my less macho gear. If he
had a reasonable gear, he would have dumped me by a long shot. He did
dump me when it flattened out a bit, but then turned off to avoid
having to duke it out with a fat 50 year old on the flats (at least
that's my story). Remember that Jobst is a freak. He is not only Mr.
Wheel, but he used to spank some seriously talented Nor Cal riders
back in the day (racers who routinely crushed me like a bug in the
70s) -- and apparently he can still generate serious torque. The rest
of us have to use reasonable gears. -- Jay Beattie.

jim beam wrote:
> geeze - what a *****.

You are a bully.

Because you generally resort to the crudest form of name calling.

You are a coward.

Because you do it anonymously.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> tom, do i waste time bleating about beer, bollards, politics, mexican
> ruins, or any of the other **** that people waste their non-bike, non-tech
> time with on this forum? no. do i respond to bullshitters that want to
> "defend" their lies and/or ignorance with ad hominem? you bet your ass.
> now, stop trying to red herring and get with the point - beer is not
> bike.tech. it's bad enough around here with the steel vs. carbon
> xenophobes - let's just keep it on topic or move it off forum.

You're funny. At least the beer discussion was good natured and people may
have got some useful information from it - unlike the endless political ones
which populate this NG.

clive

In article <[email protected]>,
Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
> > geeze - what a *****.

> You are a bully.
>
> Because you generally resort to the crudest form of name calling.
>
> You are a coward.
>
> Because you do it anonymously.

And why waste any further time on him? The only time I see his drivel
is when someone quotes him. That's enough to tell me that he hasn't
changed and isn't worth expending the energy to read.

Peter Cole wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> geeze - what a *****.

> You are a bully.
>
> Because you generally resort to the crudest form of name calling.
>
> You are a coward.
>
> Because you do it anonymously.

bwaaaah!!! quoth the ***** that dishes it out without having first got
his facts straight.

i'm here to share what i know and learn what i don't. i'm /not/ here to
get suckered into credentials pissing matches with a bunch of sheep that
are all using one songsheet, even though their choir-master has them all
bleating desperately off-key about things like anodizing, brinneling,
fatigue, deformation, strength of materials, etc. all topics on which
you are opinionated but notably useless.

so what are you here for? off-topic chit chat, exercise of a small
little mind that doesn't like to learn anything new, beration of those
you don't happen to like and what else? reap what you sow little boy.
or grow up.

investment in a micrometer wouldn't hurt you either.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> jim beam wrote:
>>> geeze - what a *****.

>> You are a bully.
>>
>> Because you generally resort to the crudest form of name calling.
>>
>> You are a coward.
>>
>> Because you do it anonymously.

> And why waste any further time on him? The only time I see his drivel
> is when someone quotes him. That's enough to tell me that he hasn't
> changed and isn't worth expending the energy to read.

baaaa.

who makes a big public announcement of his discovery of killfiles, and
then proceeds not to use them? timmy the retard.

Clive George wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> tom, do i waste time bleating about beer, bollards, politics, mexican
>> ruins, or any of the other **** that people waste their non-bike,
>> non-tech time with on this forum? no. do i respond to bullshitters
>> that want to "defend" their lies and/or ignorance with ad hominem?
>> you bet your ass. now, stop trying to red herring and get with the
>> point - beer is not bike.tech. it's bad enough around here with the
>> steel vs. carbon xenophobes - let's just keep it on topic or move it
>> off forum.

> You're funny. At least the beer discussion was good natured and people
> may have got some useful information from it - unlike the endless
> political ones which populate this NG.
>
> clive

so why tolerate the off-topic **** that doesn't belong here?

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 16, 8:21 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > news:[email protected]...> >>>>> "Art Harris"

<[email protected]> wrote

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

> > experienced

> > been

> > another

frame
> > that was

ahead
> > of

years

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...>

welding-repaired

let us

tube

> > descriptions

> > down

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

> > along

welded at

seat

frame-loop on

> > pretended

> > blasting

> > lasted.

per

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/c548e4b6cd90e7...

>>>http://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/04bicycles/pjohnsonJB04.html

gets

> > teeth

pro

.."

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_A...

> > > Jobst Brandt is presently using the Shimano HG Seven 13~26 cassette.
> > > --
> > > Andrew Muzi

> > We all get old sometime...... ;-)
> >
> > I can't push my 49/45 13-26 halfstep gears in the hills any more.

> And why should you? Not that I am a super low gear kind of guy, but I
> was climbing a really steep grade on my way home from work, and some
> kid goes steaming by on a fixed gear with probably a 65 inch gear.
> Pretty impressive (this was a 25+ percent stair step), but he hit a
> tipping point at the top of the next pitch where he could barely turn
> the gear -- and where I caught up again, in my less macho gear. If he
> had a reasonable gear, he would have dumped me by a long shot. He did
> dump me when it flattened out a bit, but then turned off to avoid
> having to duke it out with a fat 50 year old on the flats (at least
> that's my story). Remember that Jobst is a freak. He is not only Mr.
> Wheel, but he used to spank some seriously talented Nor Cal riders
> back in the day (racers who routinely crushed me like a bug in the
> 70s) -- and apparently he can still generate serious torque. The rest
> of us have to use reasonable gears. -- Jay Beattie.

He used to organize training rides in the evenings that would kill some of
the top local racers.

I frequently ride with a group of retro-grouches on classic steel bikes.
With a few exceptions, I've noticed that most of them use ride 28T
sprockets on their steeds. Some even have Campy NR triples and long arm
Campy RDs.

I have a 48-38-28 triple with a 13-28 cassette on one of my bikes when I
know I'm going to have to do some climbing. I can pull a lot of hills in a
38/28 but coming up Whiskey Hill bonked out at the end of a long ride
makes me glad to have a granny gear available.

Chas.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "John Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> More: http://www.oskarblues.com/brew/

> I haven't heard of those before.

They are fairly regional to the Rocky Mountains I think.

> In general I find that American beers
> tend to be either flavorless or so aggressively hopped that they are
> pretty much undrinkable. The concept of "balance" seems to elude
> microbrewers in much the same way that American wines tend to be so
> heavily oaked that it's like sucking on wood chips. "If some is good
> more is better" is the general motto, it seems.
>
> I prefer British/Irish/Scottish style ales, for the most part. I like to
> taste the malt (and with wines I like to taste the grape rather than the
> barrel).

Precisely why I posted the link, the Old Chub is my favorite Scottish ale.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> You're funny. At least the beer discussion was good natured and people
>> may have got some useful information from it - unlike the endless
>> political ones which populate this NG.

> so why tolerate the off-topic **** that doesn't belong here?

So why pick on the vaguely interesting one rather than the other long
repetitive ones?

clive

Clive George wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>> You're funny. At least the beer discussion was good natured and
>>> people may have got some useful information from it - unlike the
>>> endless political ones which populate this NG.

>> so why tolerate the off-topic **** that doesn't belong here?

> So why pick on the vaguely interesting one rather than the other long
> repetitive ones?
>
> clive

because it's off topic. the only reason the other stuff gets boring is
because the same old hacks keep repeating the same old preconceptions,
mistakes, uninformed opinions, etc. maybe cleaning that up will take a
while, but for sure, off-topic beer **** doesn't help it.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> so why tolerate the off-topic **** that doesn't belong here?

>> So why pick on the vaguely interesting one rather than the other long
>> repetitive ones?
>>

> because it's off topic. the only reason the other stuff gets boring is
> because the same old hacks keep repeating the same old preconceptions,
> mistakes, uninformed opinions, etc.

Yebbut aren't they off topic too? Or is this rec.bicycles.politics?

clive

jim beam wrote:

> who makes a big public announcement of his discovery of
> killfiles, and then proceeds not to use them? timmy the
> retard.

You should be aware that your name-calling tells us absolutely
nothing about your victims. It does however speak volumes
about yourself.

John