Why no Ti forks??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mrbubl, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Mrbubl

    Mrbubl Guest

    Why are there no or very few Ti forks for road bikes? Is cost the issue or ride quality? How does
    steel ride compared to Ti for a fork?

    Tags:

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    heavier than carbon for similar stiffness.

    -Bruce

    news:[email protected]...

  3. Morati is producing ti forks for road bikes Have a look at: http://www.morati.com/cz/Default.htm

    mrbubl a écrit:
    > Why are there no or very few Ti forks for road bikes? Is cost the issue or ride quality? How does
    > steel ride compared to Ti for a fork?

  4. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > heavier than carbon for similar stiffness.

    and at a greater cost. You will not find or be able to sell an all ti fork for $200-250. Heck, find
    a carbon fork with ti steerer tube - kestrel, serotta - now look at the price, ouch!

  5. Phil Lee

    Phil Lee Guest

  6. "mrbubl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Why are there no or very few Ti forks for road bikes? Is cost the issue or ride quality? How does
    > steel ride compared to Ti for a fork?

    Omega Cycleworks here in the UK make one - it sells for about £190 or so direct from the
    framebuilder. Probably a little 'springier' than, say, a Reynolds 531 fork, so good for comfort, and
    with reduced weight compared to steel. Heavier than a carbon fibre one, mind, but without the risk
    of delamination, and can be repaired, should a bad crash occur.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  7. Me

    Me Guest

    Yeah, I think OnOne sells a Ti MTB rigid fork for thier Ti bikes for about £250 here in the UK.

    Just read a review of one in a recent MBR.