Why not buy a Windsor bike?

stokkis

Mar 3, 2004
Buying my first road bike, why shouldn't it be a Windsor?
I mean, if the frame is 6061AL/CARBON and it's equiped with Ultegra, what can go wrogn?
For $995 and if it really is Shimano, Ritchey and Michelin used on the bike, a lot of you would still not buy it. Why?

Anyone have good experiences with Windsor bikes?

Thanks,
:confused:

I'd say the biggest reason most people wouldnt buy the Windsor brand bike is because they are not as well known. You mentioned tha they had all good components but more importantly, where is the frame manaufactured? Often the frame strength gets over looked but it is critical. If the welds are inferior and begin to fracture you will end up with a serious problem. Another good reason is that their entry level bikes are not as good as the other brands. For example the entry level Windsor has drop down tube shifters as opposed to brake lever shifters. They also have a chromoly frame where most other brands use aluminum causing the bike to weigh more.

People also stay away from Windsor is because there isnt any LBS to go and try them out (at least not in my area). When people spend a lot of money on a bike they usually want to at least see it before buying to be sure the get the proper fit.

I personally feel that there are other better know companies you could go with. Check out this web site "roadbikeReview.com" for reviews of the different brands of bikes. I personally choose to go with Fuji and Iron Horse. Both are faily well known companies that have reasonable prices and good quality frames.

Dan.

Originally posted by stokkis
Buying my first road bike, why shouldn't it be a Windsor?
I mean, if the frame is 6061AL/CARBON and it's equiped with Ultegra, what can go wrogn?
For $995 and if it really is Shimano, Ritchey and Michelin used on the bike, a lot of you would still not buy it. Why?

Anyone have good experiences with Windsor bikes?

Thanks,
:confused:
roadbikeReview.com roadbikeReview.com

I bought a Windsor Falkirk this past Fall and have been extremely pleased with it. Ultegra triple, Ritchey wheels, bars, seatpost.
Bikes Direct sells the Fuji line as well. I suspect that maybe the frames all come from the same mfg. The bikes are sold with identical groups other than frames. Makes you wonder. I am pleased.