Why not generator lights?

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Super Slinky wrote:
>
>> Tim McNamara says...
>>
>>> Malarkey. This is simply a perpetuation of the myth that a "good"
>>> headlight is one that replicates full sun lighting conditions. This
>>> actually makes it harder to see well at night by interfering with
>>> dark adaptation of the retina. Close objects are overly bright with
>>> these lights and dazzle the eye, much like looking into the
>>> headlights of an oncoming car. I see better with my Schmidt hub
>>> with a 3W Lumotec Oval lamp than I have ever seen with any of my
>>> high-powered battery lights. Even descending at 40 mph on curvy
>>> roads is fine.

> 40 MPH? Come on. I live in some of the hilliest country imagineable,
> with >10% grades all over the place. Rarely do I see 40 MPH.

Really? What sort of bike is this on? I've gone over 55 MPH coasting down
such grades in Vancouver, and get up to 45 MPH fairly regularly. Perhaps
your hills aren't long enough?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

Tim McNamara wrote:
> [email protected] writes: <snip>
> "Far, far superior" is only an opinion, not a fact. I've got both of
> the lights whereof you speak, and since getting the Schmidt and
> Lumotec I haven't used the NiteRider except as a flashlight around

the
> house. IMHO the Schmidt is superior in both lighting and

convenience.
> But how can this be, you ask, since more is better and 15 watts is
> obviously superior to 3 watts? Is there really no comparison? Let's
> put that assumption to the test, shall we?

Let's put some of your assumptions to the test shall we?

> First, let's start with convenience. To use the NiteRider, I have to
> plan ahead to make sure the battery is charged up. I can't just go
> out for a night ride on a whim. To use the Schmidt, all I have to do
> is pedal the bike and flip a switch. It's 8:40 at night as I type
> this and I could go on a ride with my Schmidt in 15 minutes. I'd

need
> a lead time of four hours or more to go on a ride with the NiteRider-
> so I could leave after midnight.

Convenience: Batteries always ready to go. I have mutliple sets
cobbled together from various sources. Charged, checked and exercised
monthly. I can still be out the door in 15 minutes. Plus, if I want
to go for a road ride, I can swap lights to the bike easily or if I
want to ride a mountain bike I can change to that bike or any of the
others in my fleet. Can't do that with a hub dynamo or easily with any
other style.

> Second, to use the NiteRider, I have to plan the distance of my ride
> based on my estimate of the available battery life- which changes

with
> the temperature, how long it's been charging, etc. I have to leave a
> margin of safety for flat tires or just guessing wrong about battery
> life. With the Schmidt, I can ride whatever length of time I feel
> like.

Distance: Because I use my lights for transportation, I know how long
I'm going to be out. If I want to be out longer or go for a
recreational ride, I carry more batteries and I carry more then one
light so that if I want I can extend the ride by using only one at a
time.

> Third, the lamp for my NiteRider is (naturally) mounted on my helmet,
> which puts the source of illumination above my eyes. This results in
> decreased depth perception through washing out the information needed
> about the road surface. The pool of light is shorter, since it had

> be pointed down at a sharper angle in order to see the road in front
> of the wheel, which leaves the road ahead unlit. There is an
> advantage in that the beam is pointed with head movement, so the

light
> tends to fall on whatever I am looking at- but if I am looking away
> from the road, I lose peripheral vision that might reveal something

in
> the road that I might hit. The lamp for my Schmidt is mounted at the
> fork crown, giving a much longer pool of light that illuminates both
> the riad right in front of my wheel as well as a block ahead. Since
> the road is always illuminated, I have the advantage of being able to
> see something in the road with peripheral vision if I am looking

away.

I ride with a 15 watt NiteRider on my helmet all the time. If I lose
the battery on that one I will transfer a handlebar lamps battery to
helmet because I find it far more useful than the handlebar mount. I
have never experienced any problems with depth perception from a helmet
mounted lamp even when riding singletrack trails with lots of rocks.
In fact, the higher mount makes for shorter shadows and I can pick out
details better.

With lights mounted on the handlebar and a helmet mounted light, I
adjust the helmet light to shine in front of the handlebar light so I
don't have any sort of problem with a sharp beam angle. No problems
with peripheral vision either since the light goes where my head goes
and will illuminate anything I want to look at.

> Fourth, the NiteRider is so bright that it interferes with dark
> adaptation by over-lighting close or reflective objects. This
> actually makes it harder to see while riding at night, not better.

My
> Schmidt/Lumotec, providing less intense light but better coverage,
> lets my eyes get dark adapted, so that 40 mph descents on unfamiliar
> roads feel fine. People with normal night vision can see with these
> lights just fine.

> Fifth, the highly focused beam of the NiteRider doesn't illuminate
> street signs unless I point the light at them (resulting in dazzling
> brightness that makes it hard to see well for the next couple of
> minutes). The Schmidt/Lumotec provides a wide enough beam to allow

me
> to at least see street signs and usually to read them; since these
> often contain moderately helpful information, IMHO this is good.

Now this just doesn't make sense. How can the light interfere with
dark adaptation by over lighting close objects AND not illuminate? I
can illuminate a street sign from blocks away if needed and have done
it often. Never had any problem with being blinded by flashing my
light on a reflective sign either, even when riding along a dark creek
park where they have lots of them to warn rafters of up coming hazards.
(Are they reflective for those roving bands of night time watersports
enthusiasts?)

> Sixth, I don't like the feeling of the battery cable running up the
> back of my neck and the extra weight of the light on my helmet. For
> that matter, I don't always wear a helmet to attach the NiteRider to.

Personal preference.

> So, the Schmidt/Lumotec may not be the best choice for you for your
> own reasons (e.g., off-road riding at slow speeds is not a situation
> where the Schmidt works well). That's fine. But this malarkey that
> the NiteRider is "far, far superior" is hogwash. It does put out

more
> light, but it is less useful than the Schmidt.

You might want to add "for me" to that last statement. For Russell
(and myself) the battery lights are "far, far superior" to dyanamos.
I've tried them and not found them to be that useful. Bottle ones
don't work on the steep sideways of mountain bike tires (tend to creep
into the wheels). They don't work off-road. I have multiple bikes
that I use and I might want to ride a mountain bike one day, a road
bike the next or a fixed gear the next, so rather then having multiple
dynamos, one set of lights (actually 3 lamps and several
batteries)works out better for me and, perhaps, others.

So let's be careful with throwing around the "hogwash" comments, shall
we?

Stuart Black

[email protected] wrote:

> In the USA peter White Cycles sells the Schmidt generator lights. $200
> for the hub alone. $300 for a built wheel. Lights are about $40 each
> for Busch-Lumotec and $90 each for Schmidt. 3 Watts each. Up to two
> lights can be powered by the Schmidt. So you are looking at $340,
> $380, $390, or $480 for 3 Watts or 6 Watts of Schmidt generator light
> in the USA.
>
> Most mail order places sell the NiteRider 10 Watt HeadTrip NiMH battery
> powered light for $120. Before sales codes for 10% or 20% off at
> Performance or Nashbar. I have this unit, as well as several other
> NiteRider units. It runs for a bit over 2 hours. 10 Watts is more
> light than 3 Watts or 6 Watts. NiteRider also sells similar setups
> that mount to the handlebars for a similar price.
>
> Its a lot cheaper to get a very good battery powered unit than a good
> quality generator light setup.

We've seen this distortion of pricing comparisons before.

What you're doing is like saying "A Ferrari costs over $100,000 and a
Volkswagen costs $20,000, so German cars are a lot cheaper than Italian
cars." It makes sense only to someone who is ignorant of Mercedes and Fiat.

The Schmidt is widely acknowledged as the "best in the world" generator.
If it's too expensive for you, you can get a Shimano hub generator for
perhaps $60. You can get other recognized name brand generators for
prices down to $35 or so, and you can find a few cheap ones for less
than $20. And BTW, the differences are not in light output, so much as
in efficiency and perhaps longevity.

I'm using mostly Soubitez bottom bracket generators. I bought one brand
new so long ago that I don't recall the price, but I think it was about
$20 back in the 1980s. I bought a new-old-stock one about 8 years ago
for less than $20, and I had one given to me by a friend. All work
perfectly, and all give sufficient light for my commuting, touring and
recreational rides.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

[email protected] wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>>
>> the road that I might hit. The lamp for my Schmidt is mounted at the
>> fork crown, giving a much longer pool of light that illuminates both
>> the riad right in front of my wheel as well as a block ahead. Since
>> the road is always illuminated, I have the advantage of being able to
>> see something in the road with peripheral vision if I am looking
>> away.

> I ride with a 15 watt NiteRider on my helmet all the time. If I lose
> the battery on that one I will transfer a handlebar lamps battery to
> helmet because I find it far more useful than the handlebar mount. I
> have never experienced any problems with depth perception from a helmet
> mounted lamp even when riding singletrack trails with lots of rocks.
> In fact, the higher mount makes for shorter shadows and I can pick out
> details better.

I think most people here have already agreed that a higher mounted battery
light is preferable in this application, and are arguing that the blanket
statement "brighter is better, period" is false.

--

M. Chandler wrote:

> I, personally, would love to use one of the new Shimano hub generators,
> but they're not compatible with 20" wheels (unless someone knows
> otherwise).

They are if you ride slowly ;-)

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> The Schmidt is widely acknowledged as the "best in the world" generator.
> If it's too expensive for you, you can get a Shimano hub generator for
> perhaps $60. You can get other recognized name brand generators for
> prices down to $35 or so, and you can find a few cheap ones for less
> than $20. And BTW, the differences are not in light output, so much as
> in efficiency and perhaps longevity.

I, personally, would love to use one of the new Shimano hub generators,
but they're not compatible with 20" wheels (unless someone knows otherwise).

--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO

" The secondary effect is that when stopped, there is no light.

IMO not much of an issue, but recent headlights feature an LED