Why not to drink/eat Dairy Products

zakeen

Aug 14, 2003
Hi there,

I was asked in a different forum why not to consume dairy products so I though I better answer it in a new theard in the related topic:

First of all we humans are not designed to drink milk as a adult. If we are we should be drinking milk from our mother(human).

There is no different drinking milk from a cow to a rat,cat,dog,etcc.... the milk produced is designed for that animal intended. Not for us! Try and think of you going home milking your cat or dog and then drinking the milk in you coffee! Why is it when humans know its from a cow then its ok! Its years and years of being told!

There is too much protein in milk which lowers our calcium levels and then our bodies steal calcium from our own bones and makes them weaker! The calcium in milk is not for us, its for a cow!

here is some links as what you might find very interesting!

http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html - good reading

http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/lmtancre/doc2/milk.html - good reading

Originally posted by zakeen
Hi there,

>I was asked in a different forum why not to consume dairy >products so I though I better answer it in a new theard in the >related topic:

>First of all we humans are not designed to drink milk as a adult. >If we are we should be drinking milk from our mother(human).

The most adults don't have one enzyme which is needed to digest lactose, one sugar contained in milk, if you get sick
after drinking milk that's the reason, northern europeans have
that enzyme even in adult age, I don't know the other bad things about milk but I read somewhere that it impedes the absorption of some essential minerals, I don't drink milk.

Nick

yup, humans are the only species on the planet that that drinks milk

a) after infancy
b) of another species

& the only species arroant enough to flaunt millions of years of evolution or gods design or whatever explanatory schema you devision to explain our current position

then there's this link about rocket fuel in milk

http://www.ewg.org/issues/perchlorate/20030919/

not to mention that dairy is mucous (yes, dairy is just fortified mucous, same type of gland produces milk & snot)

no dairy for me please

Let's remember though that in many cultures goat's milk is the most frequently consumed and is a vital part of people's diets. I'm not big into milk, but I drink it sometimes.

Sara

the protein in goats milk is easier to break down, however the
"it's big in europe" arguement doesn't hold a lot of water-some cultures think the wife should be burned (alive) w/ their husbands body should the husband die-doesn't make it productive though

There is not a lot of science in any of these arguments.
Provided you are not lactose-intolerant, drink milk if you want.

Not designed to drink milk as an adult? Humans also aren't designed to ride bikes, drink coffee, fly in jets or travel in submarines. Perhaps that's why we are different to cows. We can adapt.

@Patch70 - Have a look a bit more and you might find some.

@Blimp 'we can adapt.'!!!!

funny that. I always looked at it, why a cow?? because cows produce so much milk that is why! There is money to be made so lets make it!

So I always think. Cows are fat, lazy,dum!(very dum!) Cant run! Not a strong animal! and lie in there own Shyte all day!

Dont you think you should drink from a smarter or stronger animal if any??

Anyway! when I stoped about....3.5years ago. I get less sick! I have more energy. I sinus is so much clearer!

give it a try!

Sorry guys, but if you are going to be evidence-based, the anti-milk 'science' is very poor quality evidence.

You can find 'evidence' to say anything you want but with critical analysis, that evidence can then be graded from Level I (highest) to Level IV (lowest). There is definitely no high level evidence that milk is bad apart from those individuals with demonstrated lactose intolerance (not uncommon) and true allergies (uncommon).

If you don't want to drink milk, fine. If you like milk, go and enjoy it. Do it in moderation but don't be put off by the mumbo-jumbo that gets bandied about.

I recently just finished an excellent book named "The Calcuim Factor". Which talked about how important Calcuim is our body, how is is digested and the important role that Calcuim and Mag plays in balancing our bodies PH levels. One of the Authors of the book polled patients into 3 cat. 1 - love milk and drink it daily 2 - like milk but dont drink it much 3 - hate mike and never drink it. With over 30,000 patients in his survey over many years in his practice the folks who were the heathiest were group 1, followed by 2 then 3. They go on to explain that if you dont drink milk you better get it somewhere else (calcuim is absorbed rather poorly) or you are setting yourself up for all kinds of problems if your body ph becomes acidic due to lake of Calcuim in your cells. If this happens your cells can not replicate DNA properly and on and on. At times the book is very technical but well documented (if your into that kind of reading). Me, I love milk and my PH test was nuetral (good) while my wife (who is somewhere between 2 and 3) was more on the acidic side of the scale.

Take it for what it is... research for yourself and dont believe everything you read... like its bad to eat eggs because they contain cholesterol - please:p

But... but... I would die without cheese!

I'm lactose-intolerant, so I know the physical effects of milk all too well. I still drink it in my coffee, but that's about it. Also keep a stash of the lactose enzyme pills on hand.

But I still love cheese.

I just saw this article about the world's oldest man who died recently aged 114. Apparently, "He drank milk every day, but did not consume alcohol".

(Tough luck, Blimp! :D)

Personally, I think patch70 has the right idea...

I think your on the right track zakeen. Humans are the ONLY animal that drinks milk in adult hood. As for the so called 'Calcium' content of todays milk, there is very little due to all the processes that it goes through..like the treatments, refinement, de-fatafying processes bla, bla, bla...

But after all this is said i still like the occasional slurp of milk ;)

Originally posted by taxicab
the protein in goats milk is easier to break down, however the
"it's big in europe" arguement doesn't hold a lot of water-some cultures think the wife should be burned (alive) w/ their husbands body should the husband die-doesn't make it productive though

When I talk about people in other cultures consuming goat's milk as a an important part of their diets, I'm not talking about Europeans... I'm not saying "It's big in Europe" as a fashion statement, as in "Platform shoes are big in Europe this year"! There is no goat's milk poster child flaunting his stuff on the runways in Paris and London.

I am saying that in some regions of the world (parts of northern Africa for example), if folks did not consume goat's milk, well, folks would no longer be able to survive.

There is certain wisdom to be found in traditional dietary habits, in the traditional combining of foodstuffs that creates a balanced and healthy diet. We live in a very advanced, science and research based world, but as a whole we're not in better shape than our ancestor.

We, in relatively affluent, industrialized nations have the luxury of choosing from a wide variety of nutritional sources, we have the luxury of analyzing at length before deciding what we want to consume. Which is great, I'm not sayin' we shouldn't.

But I guess I contend we'd be just as well off if we spent less time analyzing our diets and simply ate reasonably, instinctively consuming the foodstuffs that seem to keep us in good health and avoiding what makes us feel bad.

If you don't like milk, there may be a reason it doesn't suit your physical make-up well. If you like it, perhaps your body has a need for it.

:)

Originally posted by less'go
There is certain wisdom to be found in traditional dietary habits, in the traditional combining of foodstuffs that creates a balanced and healthy diet. We live in a very advanced, science and research based world, but as a whole we're not in better shape than our ancestor.

I would say that we are in a better shape than our ancestors and people in developing countries; given that our life expectancy is much higher (even for obese sedentary people).

I suppose it depends on how you look at it... in my totally un-scientific and strictly humble and personal opinion, as a whole we have more diet-related problems now than our ancestors did: obesity, diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure, and certain forms of cancer (colon, for one) , which can be attributed both to diet and lifestyle.

Yup, life expectancy has greatly increased, but I bet that has a lot to do with modern medicine -- people used to die from gangreen or tetanus from an infected wound, from dehydration due to diarhea (esp. children), from diseases like polio that have all but vanished, from now preventable and treatable but previously fatal diseases such as tuberculosis, and from cancer and other pathologies that we now can diagnose early and treat effectively.

I would argue, once again, IMHO, that if you controled for medical intervention, public and personal hygeine, and access to sufficient quantities of food, people in "underdeveloped" countries eating traditional diets (lentils and daal and lassi in India; goat's milk, dates and couscous in Morocco; rice, raw fish and pickled vegetables in Japan), have far fewer food-related health problems than we in our "advanced" occidental countries.

Well, atleast that's what I think...

Sara

it's good enough for me that milk makes my protien shake so much better than if I make it with water - and I'm not about to try one with beer.

i would like to stop drinking milk but i really like it with cereal and cofee.

i compromise by diluting the milk about 1 to 5 with water in the cereal. people think i'm really weird but i don't think it's that odd. i've even had cereal with just water, crazy huh. it tasted ok actually.

i find it takes the bitterness out of coffee. soya milk doesn't do that.

my worst dietry habit is flavoured milk. it is full of sugar and disgusting cow juice. it's so gross but so nice. i have 600ml almost every weekday.

i think it's damaging to me pychologically aswell. i pose these questions to myself: am i a calf... why am i stealing the cow's milk for her baby. i'm a bad person etc. imagine aliens harvesting human milk because their human milk industry said it was natural and healthy. good for alien bones

i think i'll stop now.