Why not to drink/eat Dairy Products

Just remember that calcium is calcium. It makes no difference whether it comes from a cow, goat, rat or pill. If you don't get enough of it very bad things can happen.

Personally I love milk and have always been a heavy user until I finally went on a serious diet 2 months ago and have had scant little since. I do very carefully make sure that what I eat contains enough calcium otherwise I supplement with pills.

David

I drink 3 glasses a day, and get sick for half a day every five years or so. I am not changing a thing. MAKE MINE A DOUBLE!

There are two kinds of people in the world, the ones who can drink milk and the ones who can't.

I love milk. I'm half Swedish, and I drink at least 40 ounces of skim milk a day, sometimes a lot more. I also eat cheese daily too, often with milk.

My blood pressure is low, sometimes below average, and my blood lipid profiles are in the "excellent" range. If you want to kill me, take away my milk and cheese!!!

I rarely if ever get sick, even when I was a kid, and have had bones strong enough to survive several parachuting and motorcycle accidents.
Since I was young, I've consumed large quantities of milk on a daily basis.

If milk agrees with you, drink it!!!

I agree J-MAT, I think you've summed it up pretty well, if you like it and it agrees with you, eat and drink dairy. If it makes you ill, don't do it. It's not a poison, atleast not to everyone, there is no proof of that, as is often claimed.

Cheese, glorious cheese, milk, butter and cream... mmmmmmmmmm!

S ;)

Originally posted by J-MAT
There are two kinds of people in the world, the ones who can drink milk and the ones who can't.

I love milk. I'm half Swedish, and I drink at least 40 ounces of skim milk a day, sometimes a lot more. I also eat cheese daily too, often with milk.

My blood pressure is low, sometimes below average, and my blood lipid profiles are in the "excellent" range. If you want to kill me, take away my milk and cheese!!!

I rarely if ever get sick, even when I was a kid, and have had bones strong enough to survive several parachuting and motorcycle accidents.
Since I was young, I've consumed large quantities of milk on a daily basis.

If milk agrees with you, drink it!!!

I just started seeing a naturopath for nutrition counseling and I cut coffee, diet pepsi, and milk out. Don't miss any of it and you're talking to someone who never missed her daily latte or her 32 ounce diet pepsi. If you are interested in eliminating milk, try drinking almond dairy beverage. I buy the Breeze variety. I especially like the chocolate one because it's a good snack for me in the evening. There are a lot of ways to get your calcium other than drinking milk.

i stop drinking mil for a bit and replace it with soya milk ;p. but i still do take cheese....man i love cheese.....

Originally posted by zakeen
First of all we humans are not designed to drink milk as a adult. If we are we should be drinking milk from our mother(human).
Not designed to drink milk? What a stretch. If not milk, then what exactly are we designed to drink? Whether designed to drink it or not, it's a heck of a lot better than 99.9% of the **** we fill our bodies with. When was the last time you sucked on a nipple and got a mouth full of beer, or Coke, or Gatorade, or a big piece of chocolate cake? Don't answer that; I really don't want to know.

I'd be very interested to hear your definition of "designed." We lack the necessary enzymes to digest dietary fiber--a fact which should suggest that we aren't designed to eat it. Yet it's a very important part of our diet. Milk, on the other hand, is easily digested by the body. Humans have no problem (save for those who are lactose intolerant) breaking down milk (whether from a cow or human) into its basic nutritional components--we do have the necessary enzymes to break down the lactose into glucose and galactose, and we have the necessary enzymes to break down the proteins into amino acids. Once broken down, the individual components are no different than they are when they come from other food sources. So to suggest we're not "designed" to drink milk...

Cows are fat, lazy,dum!(very dum!)
Before you call anyone or anything dumb, you should really know how to spell it.

I must thank you for one thing, though. Before now I had heard almost every stupid diet theory (I use that term very loosely), but now I'm sure I've heard them all.

I am currently taking an experiment. I have replaced cow's milk with soy milk. The taste is only slightly different, the texture is the same and I no longer suffer the churned up feeling on rides after breakfast.

it is true that human evolution has meant that we are not designed to take milk (a cow has four bloody stomachs for God's sake!)
evloution takes a lot longer than the couple of hundred years that we have been drinking the stuff, and lactose intake has been shown to lead to increased production of lactic acid during exercise.

having said that I still enjoy real cheese occasionaly and I'm not about to knock a milkshake out of anyone's hand as they drink it in order to protect them!

We eat and drink waht we do because we enjoy it.

Originally posted by tafi
It is true that human evolution has meant that we are not designed to take milk (a cow has four bloody stomachs for God's sake!) evloution takes a lot longer than the couple of hundred years that we have been drinking the stuff, and lactose intake has been shown to lead to increased production of lactic acid during exercise.
Cows have four stomaches because they eat mainly grass. Given that adult cows don't drink milk, the four stomaches have nothing to do with milk consumption rather they allow the cows to get more protein via bacteria due to low amounts of protein in the grass they eat.

Sara, really good post...
Originally posted by less'go
I suppose it depends on how you look at it... in my totally un-scientific and strictly humble and personal opinion, as a whole we have more diet-related problems now than our ancestors did: obesity, diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure, and certain forms of cancer (colon, for one) , which can be attributed both to diet and lifestyle.

Yup, life expectancy has greatly increased, but I bet that has a lot to do with modern medicine -- people used to die from gangreen or tetanus from an infected wound, from dehydration due to diarhea (esp. children), from diseases like polio that have all but vanished, from now preventable and treatable but previously fatal diseases such as tuberculosis, and from cancer and other pathologies that we now can diagnose early and treat effectively.

I would argue, once again, IMHO, that if you controled for medical intervention, public and personal hygeine, and access to sufficient quantities of food, people in "underdeveloped" countries eating traditional diets (lentils and daal and lassi in India; goat's milk, dates and couscous in Morocco; rice, raw fish and pickled vegetables in Japan), have far fewer food-related health problems than we in our "advanced" occidental countries.

Well, atleast that's what I think...

Sara
I agree these diet related problems are a consequence of modern diet and lifestyle. 'Our ancestors' used to experiance other diet problems like starvation, malnutrition and dificiency diseases. It seems that modern lifestyles have solved and created problems. :)

Many of these 'modern' problems are also diseases of old age and would have occured less in 'our ancestors' due to shorter lives. One of the disadvatages of longer lives via medical intervention, etc. is always going to be 'illness' of old age. Interestingly though lots of children and adults are getting diseases that were thought to be restricted to those in old age (i.e. increaseing diabetes in childhood). The Cheif Medical Officer in the UK stated that due to obesity and linked diseases; some children may die before their parents! This a disturbing product of our 'modern and developed' diet and lifestyle :( .

One intersting thing is that CHD begins during childhood (it is believed that all people over 20 years old will have some coronary artery fatty streaks) only the symptoms don't display until they are quite advanced (i.e. in 50's+). :( Given that some children have fatty streaks at 3 in their Aortas (when many have had only mothers milk and baby food), it looks like CHD is an inevitable illness although its progression can be slowed by diet and exercise.

When looking at other countries I think you also need to look at the whole picture of lifestyle x diet. I agree that many of the countries you suggested don't have the problems that the developed countries have and we need to learn the lessons from them; but that might be a result of what they 'don't' eat and not what they do eat. I.E. rather than 'raw fish', 'lentals', etc. being inherantly healthy; the interaction between high calorie, high fat, high sugar, smoking, drinking, sedentary, overfat, oldage, etc. means that we are on a losing battle. The interaction between lifestyle, diet and gentics between countries means that some data is difficult to interpret (e.g. in one region in an undeveloped country low CHD was attributed 'more' to a genetic modification to HDL than to their diet; whereas in other countries improved health status (lower obesity, CHD, etc) can easily be attributed to diet). These undeveloped countries still suffer from starvation, malnutrition, dificiency diseases, etc.

All IMHO of course.

Originally posted by tafi
it is true that human evolution has meant that we are not designed to take milk
It really blows me away that this keeps coming up. The body was designed to metabolize three things: carbs, fats, and proteins (with the help of vitamins and minerals). Unless you're eating these three macro-nutrients directly, the body must first digest it into these components. That is how the body works BY DESIGN. The body can and does digest milk into all three necessary macro-nutrients, and it does that... BY DESIGN! This isn't rocket science... just very simple logic.

Also notice that the original poster's second link is littered with references to PCRM. The PCRM is an animal rights group hoping to stamp out any usage of animals... including milk consumption. What do you think they're going to say about milk? They say the same thing about all animal products. Read about the PCRM.

Originally posted by less'go
Let's remember though that in many cultures goat's milk is the most frequently consumed and is a vital part of people's diets. I'm not big into milk, but I drink it sometimes.

Sara

Is powdered milk ok?

"Humans are the only animal species that drinks milk in adulthood."

You mean all those other animals with refrigerators don't stock them with milk?! I'm shocked and amazed. You'd think they'd at least have the occasional piece of cheese or bowl of ice cream!

What an argument.

I was ALMOST persuaded, though, by the original poster's use of an exclamation point after EVERY sentence. Too bad the "science" he cited was all wrong.....

Hmm....I drink skim milk every single day in a protein drink after my rides, and I've gone from cat 5 to cat 3 in the 3 months since i've started riding.

Maybe instead of doing all this research, you should ride your goddamn bike and see if you get better.

So many people in these forums talk more than they ride....maybe if you logged in more miles you'd realize that it really doesn't matter what you consume, just as long as you consume it. If the fire is hot enough, it'll burn anything. I tried this once by eatting nothing but mcdonalds for a week. I had the craps but it didn't affect my training at all.

so, quit analyzing everything and fuking ride