Why not use the sidewalk?

Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Trentus <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > effort, and if coming
> your
> > >
> > > 5 MINUTES! That's definitely tops alright. I seriously doubt that slowing down for a cyclist,
> > > would slow you down
> by
> > > more than a few SECONDS. Waiting for a cyclist, for say 10-15 seconds just FEELS like an
eternity
> > > when you're a driver running late.
> > >
> > > Traffic lights for example, here in Aus, run on a 30 second cycle.
It's
> > > rarely more than 30 seconds that you get delayed, but while you're in
> > > hurry sitting waiting it out, it FEELS like they're taking forever.
> > >
> > > It's just a matter of drivers realising how LITTLE time a cyclist
> actually
> > > delays them, and keeping their cool.
> > >
> > > Trentus
> >
> > Indeed - but I meant 5 minutes in total, assuming they have to deal with several cyclists during
> > their journey. It most certainly is about maintaining a correct and balanced perspective, and
> > chilling the hell
out.

> > Cheers!
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Well said, both of you.

Cheers!

Nearly got wiped twice last night, each time, cars passing within 3 inches of the ends of my bars at
about 50 mph. Wankers..........

Shaun aRe - Made the 5.3 mile ride home in 20 min, maxed at 38, averaged
15.11 mph, _very hilly ride_ - fury drives hard, hehehehe......

> I don't know about the rest of the civilized world, but here in Anchorage I'll do as much as
> possible to avoid riding on the roads. The drivers are more or less oblivious to other drivers as
> it is, and to expect that they'd notice a bicycle on the roads is akin to expecting to squeeze
> gold from a dead rose.
>
> There are bicycles constantly buzzing around on the sidewalks as it is in the urban areas, and
> most of the "seperated-from-the-road" paths are multi-use designated as well.
>
> -Slash
> --
> "Ebert Victorious"
>
> - The Onion

Wow, Alaska! Cool! Whats the weather like?

Gyp <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>> This is an example of what happens when a car crosses in front of a bike at "only" 5mph:
>>
>> http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
>>
>> In this case, the truck was crossing from the street into a mid-block entrance, but this type
>> of incident is what a sidewalk rider risks at every junction of any type. Stopped traffic
>> prevented the truck from seeing me (and vice versa), but cars crossing sidewalks seldom look
>> either way at all.
>
>Nasty... and only 5mph..

Actually that was the truck's speed. Mine was MUCH faster (I assume around 20mph or more, being my
normal "road mode speed").

>Saying about a month ago I was scooting along a combined sidewalk/cycle line going into town and
>(mostly through paranoia) a spotted a car backing out of a drive. Of course he didn't even stop to
>think that he was going to block the path. I managed to stop in time but I made sure it was a
>flashy and loud as possible (I don't want him making that mistake again when I'm half asleep) he
>looked like he was about to have kittens <Chuckle>

That's an effective thing to do. A good shot of adrenalin will help them remember. Just yesterday I
had a guy in a pickup drive across the bike path I was on without so much as a glance in my
direction. I am understandably paranoid about this ;-) now, but if I hadn't been watching for him, I
could have had instant deja vu (though it WAS a slightly smaller pickup truck). BTW, the "bike path"
is the wide, smooth and nearly deserted one on the north side of the Tempe town lake for those of
you who know the area - not a lot of dogs or walkers.

>Still if I hadn't of spotted him!!..

I try not to think about that... ;-)

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Gyp <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey wrote:
> >> This is an example of what happens when a car crosses in front of a bike at "only" 5mph:
> >>
> >> http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
> >>
> >> In this case, the truck was crossing from the street into a mid-block entrance, but this type
> >> of incident is what a sidewalk rider risks at every junction of any type. Stopped traffic
> >> prevented the truck from seeing me (and vice versa), but cars crossing sidewalks seldom look
> >> either way at all.
> >
> >Nasty... and only 5mph..
>
> Actually that was the truck's speed. Mine was MUCH faster (I assume around 20mph or more, being my
> normal "road mode speed").
>
> >Saying about a month ago I was scooting along a combined sidewalk/cycle line going into town and
> >(mostly through paranoia) a spotted a car backing out of a drive. Of course he didn't even stop
> >to think that he was going to block the path. I managed to stop in time but I made sure it was a
> >flashy and loud as possible (I don't want him making that mistake again when I'm half asleep) he
> >looked like he was about to have kittens <Chuckle>
>
> That's an effective thing to do. A good shot of adrenalin will help them remember. Just yesterday
> I had a guy in a pickup drive across the bike path I was on without so much as a glance in my
> direction. I am understandably paranoid about this ;-) now, but if I hadn't been watching for him,
> I could have had instant deja vu (though it WAS a slightly smaller pickup truck). BTW, the "bike
> path" is the wide, smooth and nearly deserted one on the north side of the Tempe town lake for
> those of you who know the area - not a lot of dogs or walkers.
>
> >Still if I hadn't of spotted him!!..
>
> I try not to think about that... ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

there is some girl around town with a big strange dent on the door of her car, that just happens to
be about the same size as my foot. i see her around now and then, and she looks for bikers coming
down the road now, cause they do go faster than a walking pace, contrary to her former belief.
--
~Travis

RE/
>The drivers are more or less oblivious to other drivers as it is, and to expect that they'd notice
>a bicycle on the roads is akin to expecting to squeeze gold from a dead rose.

The last one that almost got me was taking on a cell phone and simultaneously either writing
something or fiddling with something. Steering with his knees, I guess - but not too well because he
came across about 10 feet of diagonally-striped "no-mans land". I zigged, but he didn't zag until it
was moot to me.

About six months ago, I was driving the right lane of a freeway and this Jeep Cherokee starts
drifting into my lane. I took to the shoulder at about 70 mph. The guy was holding a cell phone in
one hand and dialing it with the other - concentrating, of course, on finding the little numbers
with his finger.

My take is that people talking on cell phones put a whole new spin on things.

I'm talking out of my butt here, but I theorize that different things register in people's
peripheral vision at different intensities depending on a number of things including sheer mass. My
current notion is that a biker lacks the critical mass to register in a lot of cases where the
driver is reading, making entires in a book, and/or talking on the phone. With the guy in the pickup
truck, it wasn't a case of not seeing me until it was almost too late - it was a case of not seeing
me period. I think he only corrected when he was about to jump the curb.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:32:36 -0500, "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> scribbled:

>Wow, Alaska! Cool! Whats the weather like?

Not too shabby! It's been nice and sunny for quite a while, temperatures between 45 and 70°F for the
low and high, respectively. Some days with stronger breezes than others, but overall it's gorgeous
out. Not too hot, not too cold, and typically low humidity. Check out www.alaska.com for more info,
it seems like a surprisingly informative website compared to most I've seen that gloss over the
typical tourist stuff.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"

- The Onion

Technician wrote:

> there is some girl around town with a big strange dent on the door of her car, that just
> happens to be about the same size as my foot. i see her around now and then, and she looks for
> bikers coming down the road now, cause they do go faster than a walking pace, contrary to her
> former belief.

Did you use your foot to stop, or did you intentionally kick her car out of frustration? What was
her reaction at the time? Any damage to you or your bike? Were you on the road or the sidewalk?

Raptor <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Technician wrote:
> >
> > there is some girl around town with a big strange dent on the door of her car, that just happens
> > to be about the same size as my foot. i see her around now and then, and she looks for bikers
> > coming down the road now, cause they do go faster than a walking pace, contrary to her former
> > belief.
>
> Did you use your foot to stop, or did you intentionally kick her car out of frustration? What was
> her reaction at the time? Any damage to you or your bike? Were you on the road or the sidewalk?

Yes, i used my foot to stop, the alternative would have been me slamming broadside into her car (i
was in a two wheel skid, sideways) most likely causing some most painful injuries as i was traveling
about 25 Mph at the time. I was riding in the road, along the side, as i always do. i was wearing
clothing that contrasted well with my background, so IMO i was fairly high visibility. her first
reaction was that i was at fault. she swore up and down that it was my fault, even though i was
traveling straight through a 4 way intersection (right of way in my direction with no stops, stops
on each side), and she was turning into it. she claimed that because i was a bike and was traveling
slower (i was actually at the speed limit at the time) that cars have the right of way. this
continued for a while until a campus cop that was in the area (was riding on High St through the
middle of UMF) came over to aid in settling the dispute. His near instant decision, was that i had
the right of way as bikes are traffic in the same as any vehicle. he informed her that since i had
no damage or injury to report, that she had best be on her way.

I think the problem with bikes on the road, is drivers that do not correctly know the rules or laws
governing and/or protecting riders of bikes, and bikers that do not know or follow the rules/laws.
And second to that, is drivers who are not observant enough to be looking for bikers, or bikers that
wear non-contrasting colors while on the road (hence why roadie jerseys are bright and colorful).
--
~Travis

[email protected] (QUAKEnSHAKE) wrote:

>Sorry for your mishap. If I read correctly you were in the street ,bike lane part of street, not
>sidewalk and seem to have been complacent with your commute not riding defensively yes/no? 5-10
>times a week for 2 years.Not seeing a BIG F350 even over a car. Maybe going 20mph in that situation
>was excessive.

Yes, it was a wide (6'/2m) bike lane connected to the regular "car lane". I'm normally very aware of
any threats, and look for any vehicle that could POSSIBLY turn across my path like the large truck
did. I can't be sure why I didn't see the truck - it's possible there was a large vehicle in the
stopped traffic I was passing (there are a LOT of SUVs in the Phoenix, Arizona area). It
wouldn't have to be as tall (or as big) as the truck to block my view (and the truck
driver's).

FWIW, I'll probably approach similar situations more cautiously in the future - not necessarily by
going slower though.

> However, stories go both ways. Had a neighbor of mine Scott Hollenbeck, Rochelle IL. been riding
> the sidewalk instead of the street he wouldnt be paralyzed today. A driver of a van didnt see him
> hit him from behind thats that. He (Scott) did however go on to the Olympics.

Interesting - not many "paralyzed people" get into the Olympics. Still, there are many more threats
on the sidewalk than in the road. I can't imagine surviving as many miles as I've ridden if all that
riding was all done on sidewalks.

Technician said...

> I think the problem with bikes on the road, is drivers that do not correctly know the rules or
> laws governing and/or protecting riders of bikes, and bikers that do not know or follow the
> rules/laws. And second to that, is drivers who are not observant enough to be looking for bikers,
> or bikers that wear non-contrasting colors while on the road (hence why roadie jerseys are bright
> and colorful).

Some people just don't know how to drive period. If you are on the sidewalk, bike or walking, and
you get the walk sign to cross, I'll give you even money that someone making a right turn will damn
near run you over.

SuperSlinky wrote:
> Some people just don't know how to drive period. If you are on the sidewalk, bike or walking, and
> you get the walk sign to cross, I'll give you even money that someone making a right turn will
> damn near run you over.

I saw it happen tonight in downtown Manchester, on my way home from the day-job..... I was the first
car in line, sitting waiting for the green at the intersection of Elm and Bridge St. Kid was
crossing, in a crosswalk, with the signal, some idiot trying to take a (rolling) right on red (to
beat out us when it turned green) came about 3 inches from taking out the kid. tires chirping form
the ABS and all..... Kid musta sh!t himself. When the light turned green I was sure to lean on my
horn and give the guy the finger and an evil eye, as I rolled past him.

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

> SuperSlinky wrote:
> > Some people just don't know how to drive period. If you are on the sidewalk, bike or walking,
> > and you get the walk sign to cross, I'll give you even money that someone making a right turn
> > will damn near run you over.
>
> I saw it happen tonight in downtown Manchester, on my way home from the day-job..... I was the
> first car in line, sitting waiting for the green at the intersection of Elm and Bridge St. Kid was
> crossing, in a crosswalk, with the signal, some idiot trying to take a (rolling) right on red (to
> beat out us when it turned green) came about 3 inches from taking out the kid. tires chirping form
> the ABS and all..... Kid musta sh!t himself. When the light turned green I was sure to lean on my
> horn and give the guy the finger and an evil eye, as I rolled past him.

Aye, but is it a domestic car horn, or a wimpy asian horn?

I have half a mind to see if i can fit some air horns under the hood of my car. I would try a set of
train horns, but i haven't got 7' of free space under the hood.

anybody can use the finger, but it takes the right horn to back it up. ;-)
--
~Travis

Technician wrote:
> ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>

>>SuperSlinky wrote:
>>
>>>Some people just don't know how to drive period. If you are on the sidewalk, bike or walking, and
>>>you get the walk sign to cross, I'll give you even money that someone making a right turn will
>>>damn near run you over.
>>
>>I saw it happen tonight in downtown Manchester, on my way home from the day-job..... I was the
>>first car in line, sitting waiting for the green at the intersection of Elm and Bridge St. Kid was
>>crossing, in a crosswalk, with the signal, some idiot trying to take a (rolling) right on red (to
>>beat out us when it turned green) came about 3 inches from taking out the kid. tires chirping form
>>the ABS and all..... Kid musta sh!t himself. When the light turned green I was sure to lean on my
>>horn and give the guy the finger and an evil eye, as I rolled past him.
>>

> Aye, but is it a domestic car horn, or a wimpy asian horn?

Hella Triple-tone, 3 trumpet air horn. <heee heeee heee