Why People Don't Buy Recumbents

Thats absolutley right, i agree. i am in the uk, a 53 year old male cyclist who realized 33 years ago whne having regular unofficial 10 and 20 mile time trials with a friend that we could go a heck
of lot faster if we adopted a max aero postion... right now i dream for some years of a recumbent lowracer/rider which i want to use to whistle along highways. i went to a cycle shop nearby
who "sells" ICE recumbnet trikes which i'd wanted to try for some time. this trike is secondhand and battered and i assumed it was a used model he was selling and after a spin round the car park
in which i was nearly crushed by 2 cars exiting i asked him how much he wanted for it.. he quoted me the new price!!..? saying it was "new" test model..my point is.. i would be prepared to spend the
money but there is no way i am lashing out thousands of pounds on something i am completly unsure will suit me? and how many poeple do i see in the uk on lowracers who are prepared to stop and give me a test ride? nada. so a am reduced to having to build something which is difficult in an apartment with no garage etc...howe can people buy these super de duper lowracers, velomobiles etc if noone stocks them?

I have been to the Bicyle Man in upstate NY before I moved to Hickory, NC. He has a great selection and will let you ride any bike you want. He is a pleasure to work with and will ship any where.. He is open all day on Saturdays. You just need to check the weather for it is getting cold up there. Usually good till end of Sept and early October, just check the weather channel before you go. Good Luck and for sure check him out. It is worth the drive.....

Since this thread started, 6 1/2 years ago, lowracers haven't gotten any easier to find or buy. But Highracers seem to have taken over the 2-wheel portion of the bent world. A highracer with dual-700C wheels and a carbon seat can be more than fast enough, and mix better with upright bikes.

Sure, you've got the racing credentials, but recumbents? They're not exactly built for speed. Have you considered the aerodynamic disadvantage? And let's be real, they're not the most practical option for touring either. Just stick to what you know.