why pros do not use the Orca

peloquma

Jan 6, 2005
I'm in the market for a new bike, I've finalised my choice on Look or a BMC, or a Orbea Orca. I must say the Orca is tempting for many reasons including fiscal ones.

My question to you folks is why on earth does the euskaltel unit on the pro tour still use a good old ALU only frame when they could spin with an Orca ? Especially in the mountain where the Orca excels ?

Maybe, and maybe it really sucks going downhill on alu too... I just find it odd, every reviews have specifically mentionned the Orca's climbing strength, Jelly Belly uses the Orca. After research it looks like different bikes are used. The euskaltel columbus-carbon for Mayo's climb, the carbon for flats and a TT version. I'm just worried it's gonna flex like hell then I'm also told the BMC is a bit on the stiff side (as far as comfort)... Looks like they all have their choices, for my size I am guessing it won't be an issue, it was noted however that the 2005 model Orca's changes were made to make the bb stiffer. Where I live, we do not have the luxury (or do I have the time) to test ride.

I guess I just answered myself.

Some of the reason is custom geometry. Mayo's climbing bike in particular has the rear wheel moved forward along with some other changes from the stock geometry. Getting a mold made up for a custom carbon frame is both cost and more importantly time prohibitive.

I read somewhere (no, I do not remember where :confused: ) that the Orca, while light, was considered to be veerry flexy. Take it with a grain of salt, but that might be part of the reason.

peloquma said:
I'm in the market for a new bike, I've finalised my choice on Look or a BMC, or a Orbea Orca. I must say the Orca is tempting for many reasons including fiscal ones.

My question to you folks is why on earth does the euskaltel unit on the pro tour still use a good old ALU only frame when they could spin with an Orca ? Especially in the mountain where the Orca excels ?

Euskaltel riders can use any frame they like from Orbea. Obviously some prefer aluminium over carbon.

Maybe not all pro's want to ride carbon frames?

Or am I commiting sacrilege by suggesting that this year's
wonder product may not suit everyone?:eek:

It all makes sense, I just saw Mayo's custom climbing machine on cycling news, that seat tube basicaly bends around the tire, it's quite something, one once over the limit.

heres a photo of euskatel with a complete aluminium frame
-http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&05parniceSt4

many of the euskatel riders would have spent some years on the aluminium models before the orca came out, i spose some just prefer the aluminium feel.

i have read reviews on other full carbon bikes where the testers feel that it is too soft, one guy said he felt like he was riding on partially inflated tyres. i spose it an individuals choice, but id say test riding both the orca and the top of the line alumium/carbon orbea model would be a wise move.

A lot of it is to do with cost and custom frames.

When a sponsor has to provide ~4 standard road frames to each rider per year, their preference is to provide Al bikes. They are cheaper yes but some racers also like the stiffness and lightness.

As stated above, custom sizing for carbon bikes is more difficult - esp when looking at monocoque frames. This would certainly be prohibitive.

Look at many of the brands that make both top-end Al & Carbon bikes. Their sponsored teams often are still on the Al option or have only recently changed to Carbon (eg De Rosa, Bianchi, LaPierre, Orbea, Cervelo, Merckx).