Why quit 10 m early?

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>

> other way around (but bugno still won)

<snip>

Thanks, I remember now. After all the ups and downs of Bugno's career, to have lost that one would
have been...grounds for suicide? I dunno, but poor Johnny does not have so many classics wins that
he could have afforded to give one away. As it was the "only" thing he win after that was one or two
GT stage wins.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > "AMG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> It was my assumption that a white line marks the official finish, but it also seemed clear
> >> today that Petacchi stopped pedaling and held up his
> > arms
> >> (for victory) when he hit the first of three "Fiat" logos, well before the white line. After
> >> 200 km, why quit 10 m before the end? -- or is it simply
> >> matter of perspective?
> >>
> >> Sorry if this is an dumb question -- but where else to get it answered?
> >
> > There are no dumb answers, only dumb questions.
> >
> > The answer is: why not?
>
> A picture's worth a thousand words:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/jun03/suisse/?id=stage4/2

That's a hell of a photo. Dumbass hasn't even realized yet what's happened to him.

> BTW, thanks for proving there are also dumb answers.

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask them.

cheers.

In article <[email protected]>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:

> > > arms

I think it's a dumb thing too, but in fairness to Petacchi, he was a full bike length ahead of the
other riders. Even so, I say respect the race and ride through the finish. Of course, I sprint for
meaningless positions in Novice crits.

> > > There are no dumb answers, only dumb questions.
> > >
> > > The answer is: why not?
> >
> > A picture's worth a thousand words:
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/jun03/suisse/?id=stage4/2
>
> That's a hell of a photo. Dumbass hasn't even realized yet what's happened to him.
>
> > BTW, thanks for proving there are also dumb answers.
>
> There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask them.

As my friend keith says, there are many, many, many stupid questions.

If you liked that picture, I recommend:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/jun03/suisse/?id=stage4/3

Taken one second later, it shows Dumbass realizing what happened.

heather halvorson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nick Burns wrote:

> > Is someone talking about the 1994 Tour of Flanders race where Bugno pipped Museeuw? Was that win
> > caused by early celebration on Museeuw's part?

> other way around (but bugno still won)
> (http://www.google.com/groups?selm=4c54ef01.0301091429.484308%40posting.google.com)

Picture here: http://www.rondevanvlaanderen.be/eng/historiek/win94.html

By the way, Bugno in his moustache phase was clearly a refugee from the Beastie Boys "Sabotage"
video, shades and all. I just saw a magazine picture from Worlds which makes this obvious; there are
a couple of blurry images at http://club.telepolis.com/alcab/bugno.htm (blue jersey).

> Is someone talking about the 1994 Tour of Flanders race where Bugno pipped Museeuw? Was that win
> caused by early celebration on Museeuw's part?

Museeuw lost that sprint because he made the dumbest sprint of his career by taking the wheel of
Ballerini. Museeuw took Ballerinis wheel on the right side but on the left Bugno started the sprint.
Blocked by Ballerini, Museeuw immediately lost a few bikelengths to Gianni Bugno. Museeuw came back
strong but not strong enough. If the finishline would have been 1 meter further he had won the
Ronde. If he had taken Bugno's wheel he would never had lost the race. I remember him sitting
incredibly down in the tv studio later that evening where the showhost asked him what the name would
be of his first son. That was Gianni...

if you understand dutch you can read a small report about The Ronde 1994 on:
http://www.geocities.com/gelei2000/rvv1994.html

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks, I remember now. After all the ups and downs of Bugno's career, to have lost that one would
> have been...grounds for suicide? I dunno, but
poor
> Johnny does not have so many classics wins that he could have afforded to give one away. As it was
> the "only" thing he win after that was one or two GT stage wins.

He was pretty much getting to the end of his career then anyway. His two world championships + MSR +
Tour podium weren't bad though.

cheers, Jeff

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Thanks, I remember now. After all the ups and downs of Bugno's career,
> > have lost that one would have been...grounds for suicide? I dunno, but
> poor
> > Johnny does not have so many classics wins that he could have afforded
> > give one away. As it was the "only" thing he win after that was one or
two
> > GT stage wins.
> >
> He was pretty much getting to the end of his career then anyway. His two world championships + MSR
> + Tour podium weren't bad though.
>
> cheers, Jeff

Plus he led the Giro from start to finish. Pretty good for a guy who wins 2 of cycling's single day
monuments. -Mike

The other impressive thing about Bugno is that he won Tour stages at the top of mountains (L"Alpe
d'Huez) and flat (a stage into Bordeaux I think).

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

> The other impressive thing about Bugno is that he won Tour stages at the top of mountains (L"Alpe
> d'Huez) and flat (a stage into Bordeaux I think).
>
> JT

> NB: reply-to address is munged
>
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com

That was also in 1990 after he wore the pink at both ends of the Giro. I looked up his Tour record
to verify the flat stage win to Bordeaux (I remember it but not the finish). I remember the stage to
L'Alp d'Huez when he outsprinted Lemond, Breukink and I think one other breakaway. Lemond complained
about his finger being hurt or something and that prevented him from braking correctly? Who was that
fourth in the group?

Didn't Moninger and Bowen have an incident where one of them quit a bit too early? Must have been in
1993/94 during some stage race in Oregon. Can't remember who was the dipstick in that one, though.

MSEMLF