Road Cycling · Public discussion

Why ride a MTB

Started by Ken · · Last activity · 99 posts · 2,075 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 November 2004
Last activity
10 December 2004
Original author
Ken
Posts
99
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,075
Views / 30 days
17

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 99
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bill Baka <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Uh Ken, most riding in the city is flat so who cares what the bike
    weighs?

    Your city maybe but not mine.

  2. David Reuteler said:
    Bill Baka said:

    Uh Ken, most riding in the city is flat so who cares what the bike
    weighs?

    which city might that be bill?

    Quoted message said:

    not a Lance wannabee who cares what you ride. And what is up with you
    don't
    want all that extra weight in the city? Do you like to drag race at stop
    lights?

    blah, blah, blah. you & your 50 pound backpack & single speed cruiser
    up and down the hills of san francisco..

    San Francisco is one of the exceptions. I don't even like to drive a
    car there, especially not a stick, because of all those damn stop
    signs right at the top of a hill. Besides, I will stick with a
    mountain bike in S.F. just for the extra low gears. Not that I
    ever plan to bike there. I would still feel safer with a MTB due
    to the trolley rails.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  3. Ken kcmarcet'@'hotpop.com said:


    "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ken kcmarcet'@'hotpop.com said:


    "do not spam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > "Ken" <kcmarcet"@"hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email hidden]>...
    > > in the city? I have noticed that many more people prefer to ride


    MTBs

    Quoted message said:

    > in
    the
    > > city than ride road bikes.
    >
    > There are several reasons:
    > 1. thick, wide tires are plusher on rough roads and less likely to


    flat

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > 2. more upright riding position gives you better visibility in


    commuter

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    traffic
    > 3. almost all low-end (under $500) bikes are mountain bikes (or at
    > least
    > styled like mountain bikes)
    > 4. when commuting, there is no performance benefit to a road bike

    No performance difference? How about all the extra weight! My road


    bike

    Quoted message said:

    probably weighs half of what the average MTB weighs! I can't see


    riding

    Quoted message said:

    with
    all that extra weight in the city! Maybe if i had to commute through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    woods and over stuff you might find in the woods! I will take my road
    ride
    anyday!

    Ken


    Uh Ken, most riding in the city is flat so who cares what the bike
    weighs?
    I have two road bikes but they rarely get a ride. The two MTBs get most
    of
    the mileage, to the point that one is beginning to fall apart. If you
    are
    not a Lance wannabee who cares what you ride. And what is up with you


    don't

    Quoted message said:

    want all that extra weight in the city? Do you like to drag race at stop
    lights?


    weight is weight, it still requires more energy to move 30lbs than it
    takes
    to move 15lbs!
    I am not a Lance wannabe, but I have owned both MTBs and road bikes and I
    would prefer a road bike! But that is just me and my crazy opinion.

    Ken


    I never said it was a crazy opinion but I personally ride for
    the exercise so a litte extra weight doesn't matter to me.
    More weight = more calories burned = better workout.
    That's all I meant, so aside from the racer/yuppie (does anyone still
    use yuppie?) types, I ride to get a workout not to be the fastest guy in
    town.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Bill (?) Baka


    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  4. "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    most people will just scratch thier heads and wonder why you spent that
    much.

    Those are the types you want to stay far away from.

    If you ever want to ride with the A-Group then you must
    change your way of thinking.

  5. On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:07:55 GMT, Fabrizio Mazzoleni <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    most people will just scratch thier heads and wonder why you spent that
    much.

    Those are the types you want to stay far away from.

    Yes, those and the red necks who look at riders like target for
    a beer bottle toss. My problem, country riding, country hicks.

    Quoted message said:


    If you ever want to ride with the A-Group then you must
    change your way of thinking.


    If I ever want to ride with the A-Group I need to,
    A: Lose about 20 years.
    B: Win the lotto so I really can ride full time.
    C: Convince the wife that cycling is better for her than smoking.
    D: Convince her that I really am riding my bike and not
    seeing that blond that likes me.
    E: A whole lot of stuff that I will remember just after I send this.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  6. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: Why ride a MTB
    From: Bill Baka [email hidden]
    Date: 11/29/2004 9:23 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:07:55 GMT, Fabrizio Mazzoleni <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    most people will just scratch thier heads and wonder why you spent that
    much.

    Those are the types you want to stay far away from.

    Yes, those and the red necks who look at riders like target for
    a beer bottle toss. My problem, country riding, country hicks.

    Quoted message said:


    If you ever want to ride with the A-Group then you must
    change your way of thinking.


    If I ever want to ride with the A-Group I need to,
    A: Lose about 20 years.
    B: Win the lotto so I really can ride full time.
    C: Convince the wife that cycling is better for her than smoking.
    D: Convince her that I really am riding my bike and not
    seeing that blond that likes me.
    E: A whole lot of stuff that I will remember just after I send this.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

    Good post, I don't need to fit someone else's mold of what my riding should be
    like.

  7. Bill Baka wrote:
    || On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:39:06 -0500, Ken <kcmarcet"@"hotpop.com>
    || wrote:
    ||
    |||
    ||| "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    ||| news:[email hidden]...
    |||| On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:33:27 -0500, Ken <kcmarcet"@"hotpop.com>
    |||| wrote:
    ||||
    |||||
    ||||| "do not spam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    ||||| news:[email hidden]...
    |||||| "Ken" <kcmarcet"@"hotpop.com> wrote in message
    |||||| news:<[email hidden]>...
    ||||||| in the city? I have noticed that many more people prefer to ride
    |||| MTBs
    |||||| in
    ||||| the
    ||||||| city than ride road bikes.
    ||||||
    |||||| There are several reasons:
    |||||| 1. thick, wide tires are plusher on rough roads and less likely
    |||||| to flat
    |||||| 2. more upright riding position gives you better visibility in
    |||||| commuter traffic
    |||||| 3. almost all low-end (under $500) bikes are mountain bikes (or
    |||||| at least
    |||||| styled like mountain bikes)
    |||||| 4. when commuting, there is no performance benefit to a road
    |||||| bike
    |||||
    ||||| No performance difference? How about all the extra weight! My
    ||||| road bike probably weighs half of what the average MTB weighs! I
    ||||| can't see riding with
    ||||| all that extra weight in the city! Maybe if i had to commute
    ||||| through the woods and over stuff you might find in the woods! I
    ||||| will take my road ride
    ||||| anyday!
    |||||
    ||||| Ken
    |||||
    |||| Uh Ken, most riding in the city is flat so who cares what the bike
    |||| weighs?
    |||| I have two road bikes but they rarely get a ride. The two MTBs get
    |||| most of
    |||| the mileage, to the point that one is beginning to fall apart. If
    |||| you are
    |||| not a Lance wannabee who cares what you ride. And what is up with
    |||| you don't want all that extra weight in the city? Do you like to
    |||| drag race at stop lights?
    ||||
    ||| weight is weight, it still requires more energy to move 30lbs than
    ||| it takes
    ||| to move 15lbs!
    ||| I am not a Lance wannabe, but I have owned both MTBs and road bikes
    ||| and I would prefer a road bike! But that is just me and my crazy
    ||| opinion.
    |||
    ||| Ken
    |||
    |||
    || I never said it was a crazy opinion but I personally ride for
    || the exercise so a litte extra weight doesn't matter to me.
    || More weight = more calories burned = better workout.
    || That's all I meant, so aside from the racer/yuppie (does anyone still
    || use yuppie?) types, I ride to get a workout not to be the fastest
    || guy in town.

    I don't see anything wrong with the way you ride, but perhaps you might
    consider that others might enjoy going faster than you like to ride and
    still not be Lance wannabes. And riding faster can be a good workout too.

  8. Ken' kcmarcet'@ said:

    in the city? I have noticed that many more people prefer to ride MTBs
    in the city than ride road bikes. Maybe it is just the area I live
    in, the "Flat State" or Florida! I have lived in a couple of other
    states as well and have definately noticed in the past 10 to 15 years
    lots more people seem to moving towards the MTB style of rides. Can
    anyone explain why this is or has no one ever given this any thought?

    I have both, but I usually take the mountain bike for around town errands.
    First, it's not as new or flashy looking, so it's probably less likely to be
    stolen, vandalized, or scratched up in bike racks. Second, I usually do errands
    with a backpack, and the more upright MTB bars are better for carrying loads
    this way. A MTB is marginally better in traffic because I don't have to worry
    as much about bad pavement or glass, it's more stable and chuckable, and gives a
    slightly better view. It's also easier to put my lights on and off of.

    I suppose most people ride mountain bikes because they're mostly what's been
    offered for the last 15 years. For awhile there were hardly any road bikes in
    shops. But that's changing, because people who came into the sport as mountain
    bike riders are discovering that road bikes take less effort to pedal. Most
    people ride mainly on-road anyway. Also, road riding is easier on aging, out of
    shape bodies, requires less fiddling with equipment, and can be done right from
    your front door. People are finally figuring this out after a decade of
    plodding around on mountain bikes.

    Matt O.

  9. Rich Clark said:

    Drop bars can be positioned to provide an upright posture. There is
    very little difference between my posture on my 'cross and touring
    bikes compared to a typical MTB.

    This is true. There's no difference in the seat/handlebar relationship of my
    road bike and mountain bike. I just did a casual measurement -- the bar center
    to seatpost center is identical, as is the drop between saddle and bar. Of
    course the bar ends are brake hoods are the same except for width. Most avid
    riders I know have their bikes set up similarly. The difference with the road
    bike is being able to use the drops to get lower.

    However, the crosswise grip and wider bars make the MTB more stable and
    confidence-inspiring, especially when carrying 30 LB of groceries in a backpack.

    If I were to build the ultimate around-town bike, it would probably be a "sport
    touring" kind of road bike with a rear rack, slightly fatter tires, fenders for
    rainy days, and some kind of built-in light system, probably with a hub
    generator. But I already have a mountain bike, and it works well enough. For
    most people, this is the bottom line.

    Matt O.

  10. "Ken" <kcmarcet"@"hotpop.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    in the city? I have noticed that many more people prefer to ride MTBs in the
    city than ride road bikes. Maybe it is just the area I live in, the "Flat
    State" or Florida! I have lived in a couple of other states as well and have
    definately noticed in the past 10 to 15 years lots more people seem to
    moving towards the MTB style of rides. Can anyone explain why this is or has
    no one ever given this any thought?

    Ken

    A no-brainer. MTBs are tougher, have a softer ride and are more
    versatile. Jumping off curbs, taking shortcuts and crashing through
    potholes are much better on an MTB. MTBs have better slow speed
    maneuverability, and you will be going slow and dodging obstacles often
    in the city. The speed difference is more myth than reality. I've put
    countless miles on both types of bikes and the difference is only about
    10%. Sustained speeds of 20mph are no problem on my FS 28lb MTB with
    semi-slicks.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Matt O'Toole said:

    If I were to build the ultimate around-town bike, it would probably be a "sport
    touring" kind of road bike with a rear rack, slightly fatter tires, fenders for
    rainy days, and some kind of built-in light system, probably with a hub
    generator.

    There are some specific randonneur-configured bikes that I
    think would admirably fill that bill.

    Quoted message said:

    But I already have a mountain bike, and it works well enough. For
    most people, this is the bottom line.

    One other feature I like about old-school MTBs is the old
    cantilever brakes with big levers. It's quite comfy to
    just rest my hands flat over the grips and drape all my
    fingers over the levers, without really gripping all the
    time, and yet have fistfuls of braking power instantly at
    my avail. These newfangled, tight little two-fingered
    V-brake levers don't allow that kind of hand comfort.

    And MTB top-mount thumb shifters are a piece of cake for
    adjustment and maintenance, as well as actual use.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  12. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]> writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If I were to build the ultimate around-town bike, it would probably
    be a "sport touring" kind of road bike with a rear rack, slightly
    fatter tires, fenders for rainy days, and some kind of built-in
    light system, probably with a hub generator.

    Quoted message said:

    There are some specific randonneur-configured bikes that I
    think would admirably fill that bill.

    Even an older run of the mill sport tourer would do. I don't need super fat
    tires, just 28-30mm, w/ fenders. Unfortunately the frame clearance of modern
    bikes is ridiculously, unnecessarily small. Full-on touring bikes usually
    handle too sluggishly. There are plenty of nice cyclocross designs around these
    days, but I actually prefer caliper brakes -- less twiddling.

    I may build a bike like this eventually, for commuting, and rail-trails (where
    drop bars, fenders, and fatter tires are a boon). I use the MTB for rail-trails
    now. I come home all muddy, with dead arms and shoulders.

    Quoted message said:

    And MTB top-mount thumb shifters are a piece of cake for
    adjustment and maintenance, as well as actual use.

    They are indeed, but neither RF+ or Gripshifts have given me a lick of trouble.

    Matt O.

  13. On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:19:39 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Bill Baka wrote:
    || On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:39:06 -0500, Ken <kcmarcet"@"hotpop.com>
    || wrote:
    ||<major snip>
    |||
    || I never said it was a crazy opinion but I personally ride for
    || the exercise so a litte extra weight doesn't matter to me.
    || More weight = more calories burned = better workout.
    || That's all I meant, so aside from the racer/yuppie (does anyone still
    || use yuppie?) types, I ride to get a workout not to be the fastest
    || guy in town.

    I don't see anything wrong with the way you ride, but perhaps you might
    consider that others might enjoy going faster than you like to ride and
    still not be Lance wannabes. And riding faster can be a good workout
    too.


    I am not pushing anything about riding styles and if someone passes me
    he might just be in for a race (for fun of course). I can get one of my
    MTBs over 30 MPH, just not for long. 42 ring/11 rear. Even my 2 road
    types are geared slower, like 14 teeth in the rear.
    Just trying to have fun on 2 wheels.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  14. Super Slinky said:

    "Ken" <kcmarcet"@"hotpop.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    in the city? I have noticed that many more people prefer to ride MTBs
    in the
    city than ride road bikes. Maybe it is just the area I live in, the
    "Flat
    State" or Florida! I have lived in a couple of other states as well and
    have
    definately noticed in the past 10 to 15 years lots more people seem to
    moving towards the MTB style of rides. Can anyone explain why this is
    or has
    no one ever given this any thought?

    Ken

    A no-brainer. MTBs are tougher, have a softer ride and are more
    versatile. Jumping off curbs, taking shortcuts and crashing through
    potholes are much better on an MTB. MTBs have better slow speed
    maneuverability, and you will be going slow and dodging obstacles often
    in the city. The speed difference is more myth than reality. I've put
    countless miles on both types of bikes and the difference is only about
    10%. Sustained speeds of 20mph are no problem on my FS 28lb MTB with
    semi-slicks.

    What he said! I can sustain 20 MPH for a while on either an MTB or a
    700 x 25. 30 something MPH is the peak with either type of bike due
    to wind resistance not tires. Plus it is much harder to do a bunny hop
    over a curb with an MTB than a pure road bike.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  15. "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I never said it was a crazy opinion but I personally ride for
    the exercise so a litte extra weight doesn't matter to me.
    More weight = more calories burned = better workout.
    That's all I meant, so aside from the racer/yuppie (does anyone still
    use yuppie?) types, I ride to get a workout not to be the fastest guy in
    town.

    I have 5 bikes, each one set up to do different things. To me, riding the
    open road on a MTB is like fly fishing with a deep sea rod -- do-able, but
    not much fun. As much as I appreciate cycling for exercise, I could never
    just see it as a workout, it wouldn't last. There's nothing I enjoy more
    than a fast club ride with the all-lycra set, unless it's careening down a
    rocky trail, or riding country roads on an all-night brevet, or mixing it
    up with urban traffic on my fixed gear, or ...

    Life's too short, and cycling's too affordable to limit yourself, why not
    have it all?

  16. Peter Cole wrote:
    || "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote
    ||||
    ||| I never said it was a crazy opinion but I personally ride for
    ||| the exercise so a litte extra weight doesn't matter to me.
    ||| More weight = more calories burned = better workout.
    ||| That's all I meant, so aside from the racer/yuppie (does anyone
    ||| still use yuppie?) types, I ride to get a workout not to be the
    ||| fastest guy in town.
    ||
    || I have 5 bikes, each one set up to do different things. To me,
    || riding the open road on a MTB is like fly fishing with a deep sea
    || rod -- do-able, but not much fun. As much as I appreciate cycling
    || for exercise, I could never just see it as a workout, it wouldn't
    || last. There's nothing I enjoy more than a fast club ride with the
    || all-lycra set, unless it's careening down a rocky trail, or riding
    || country roads on an all-night brevet, or mixing it up with urban
    || traffic on my fixed gear, or ...
    ||
    || Life's too short, and cycling's too affordable to limit yourself,
    || why not have it all?

    Mountain biking freaks me out....rocky trials sound like a good way to end
    up laid up in the hospital.
    I would like to try an all-night ride on country roads, though.

  17. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Mountain biking freaks me out....rocky trials sound like a good way to


    end

    Quoted message said:

    up laid up in the hospital.
    I would like to try an all-night ride on country roads, though.

    I know more people who have had bad crashes on the road than in the woods,
    so the relative safety is arguable. A lot depends on how conservative you
    are, at least while on the learning curve. Off-road cycling, besides being
    a lot of fun, also is great for learning bike handling skills. Most spills
    are low speed and involve only bruises. Beginners can avoid really rocky
    areas in many locales.

    Brevet riding is also lots of fun, but riding back roads, especially
    unfamiliar ones, perhaps at night and/or in the rain, has its own hazards.
    Still pretty safe if you use common sense. I'm fortunate to have a couple
    of local brevet series (200/300/400/600/1200K rides) here in the Boston
    area, they've provided some remarkable experiences. If you have any
    interest in long-distance cycling, I'd encourage you to see if you can find
    a series in your area. Check out: http://rusa.org/

  18. Quoted message said:

    Yes, those and the red necks who look at riders like target for
    a beer bottle toss. My problem, country riding, country hicks.

    In 30 years of riding I have never been accosted by "country hicks".
    Country folks around here (North Florida and South Georgia), even young
    men in pick-up trucks with Dale Earnhardt stickers on their window and
    gun racks, are cordial. The only problems I have ever had with drivers
    were in urban or suburban settings and the drivers were middle-aged and
    affluent (judging by their vehicles).

    [censored] Durbin

  19. Peter Cole wrote:
    || "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote
    |||
    ||| Mountain biking freaks me out....rocky trials sound like a good way
    ||| to end up laid up in the hospital.
    ||| I would like to try an all-night ride on country roads, though.
    ||
    || I know more people who have had bad crashes on the road than in the
    || woods, so the relative safety is arguable. A lot depends on how
    || conservative you are, at least while on the learning curve. Off-road
    || cycling, besides being a lot of fun, also is great for learning bike
    || handling skills. Most spills are low speed and involve only bruises.
    || Beginners can avoid really rocky areas in many locales.

    I realize my fear is irrational, but it is there. Given the potentially
    rapidly changing contours of the ground, plus being clipped in, it just
    *seems* more dangerous. I do realise that a crash at speed on the road or
    in the woods can be bad, so I do understand that road riding is not
    necessarily safer. Yet, riding on a MTG on the ground as a certain appeal.

    ||
    || Brevet riding is also lots of fun, but riding back roads, especially
    || unfamiliar ones, perhaps at night and/or in the rain, has its own
    || hazards. Still pretty safe if you use common sense. I'm fortunate to
    || have a couple of local brevet series (200/300/400/600/1200K rides)
    || here in the Boston area, they've provided some remarkable
    || experiences. If you have any interest in long-distance cycling, I'd
    || encourage you to see if you can find a series in your area. Check
    || out: http://rusa.org/

    I'm not sure if I have much interest in this type of riding. I do often see
    this person riding loaded down the main thoroughfair near my neighborhood.
    Frankly, it doesn't seem that much fun to me and I'm not really into camping
    at night on a ride on a regular basis. I do have plans to ride around SC
    (from city-to-city) with a friend but we'll likely check into a hotel at the
    end of a day of riding. I didn't see any rides in SC but there are some on
    NC and GA.

  20. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote

    If you have any interest in long-distance cycling, I'd

    Quoted message said:

    || encourage you to see if you can find a series in your area. Check
    || out: http://rusa.org/

    I'm not sure if I have much interest in this type of riding. I do often


    see

    Quoted message said:

    this person riding loaded down the main thoroughfair near my


    neighborhood.

    Quoted message said:

    Frankly, it doesn't seem that much fun to me and I'm not really into


    camping

    Quoted message said:

    at night on a ride on a regular basis. I do have plans to ride around SC
    (from city-to-city) with a friend but we'll likely check into a hotel at


    the

    Quoted message said:

    end of a day of riding. I didn't see any rides in SC but there are some


    on

    Quoted message said:

    NC and GA.

    Brevet riding isn't anything like loaded touring, there's no camping
    involved. Brevet riding is like organized centuries, only a bit longer.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.