Why Rising Gas Prices is a Good Thing

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by insung, Mar 9, 2005.

1. insung

insung New Member

I'm sure most have you have noticed the steady rise in gas prices, especially lately. And from what I hear on the news, this summer will be worse. Here in Southern California the average price for a gallon of gas is $2.30/gallon. I'm no economist, but I know that this sharp increase can't be good for the global economy.

Now I know I'm gonna get blasted for my view on this, but I think that expensive gas might be a good thing. It should motivate people to drive less and look towards altnative modes of transportation, like riding a bike. It should also deter people from buying gas guzzling SUV's and convince auto manufacturers to make more fuel efficient vehicles.

Wouldn't it be great if major cities all over the world created more bike lanes, and there were more people on bikes than driving cars? Can you imagine the decrease in traffic and air pollution? Can you imagine how many more people would be in shape?

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Your theory would be sound on a planet such as Vulcan where all the inhabitants are logical.
    Unfortunately I don't believe it will happen for more reasons that this site could hold in it's bandwidth.
    But, keep having happy thoughts.

3. davidbod

davidbod New Member

The fact is that gas prices in other parts of the world outside the USA, particularly Europe, are considerably higher by at least a factor of 2. Its not because a barrel of oil costs more there, in fact they are closer to the Middle East and all things considered gas should be less expensive. The reason it is not is because their governments tax gas more and use the revenue to pursue mass transportation and other environmentally friendly policies.

4. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

. . . won't get blasted by me. Here's a tip for you: forward your sentiments to Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer, and a certain George W. Bush

Neil
    San Diego
    ----------
    Bike
    Hybrid car

5. Bikesoiler

Bikesoiler New Member

People often miss an important fact about fuel prices. The fuel cost is often the cheapest part of your motoring costs. The depreciation of the vehicle itself is the major cost. Even worse if you borrow the money to buy it.

Note prices here in Australia are now about $1.05/litre.

6. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

the cost of fuel comes down to a number of factors, not just a financial one. What about the dead British, Americans and caollition soldiers bombed and killed in Iraq and possibly Iran soon. What about the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi women, children and cilvilians killed by American bombs during the flattening of Fallujah and Baghdad.

the cost of fuel in your 100 gallon SUV tank is more expensive than you think.

7. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I would love to commute more by bike or public trans. Unfortunately, I have a 2-hour commute to work, so I'd have to spend a HUGE amount of time to do it by bike, assuming it were even possible. On top of that, there's no place at work to shower once I get here.

Currently I do my best, by telecommuting 2 days a week. As far as the commute itself goes, half of it is a drive to the closest subway station to my house. The rest is the subway ride itself. There isn't enough time in a day to do it by bike. Some of us are just stuck driving.

8. RC2

RC2 New Member

WTF are you people smoking? Speaking of smoking, I guess we also agree that cigarettes are a good thing...the more people who die from lung cancer, the higher the percentage of healthy non-smokers. And if there is a higher percentage of non-smokers then we're all more fit. Pass the bong...

9. RC2

RC2 New Member

They're all in heaven being rewarded for saving children from being tortured and soccer (ok football) player's feet from being broken and and and... Oh yeah this is a cycling forum.

10. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

MountainPro,

Everything was going well, and then you ended it with "than you think."

Have you spent much time in the States--home of the "Support Our Troops" stickers festooned all over the Hummers, Excursions, Yukons, Suburbans, etc.??

How could thinking people possibly miss the connection between our oil consumption, their choice of vehicle (or lifestyle or . . . ), and our true motivation to attack a sovereign nation--whether or not its a heathen backwater that was ruled by a despotic douche bag.

Have a guess why America hasn't taken an aggressive stance on North Korea yet? Here's a hint: SUVs don't run on rice....

Sad . . . so, so sad...

Love my Prius!

11. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

I always said that the one thing that looks stupider than my fat ass in a pair of cycling tights is some clod at the gas pumps filling his SUV at a buck a litre!

12. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I am sorry but for some reason your point has alluded me,but if you mean the more people that die the the more delay of enevitable world famine When a lot will die.
    Then I take your point.Of course either way people die.

13. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

exactly, not a motoring forum...

will you tell the thread starter or shall i?

14. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

i know, thats just the problem, people just dont think...they assume petrol comes out of the big pump at the pertol station and thats it...wankers.

15. insung

insung New Member

Politics aside, there is little that I as an individual can do to lower gas prices, or end the war in Iraq, or invent a fuel efficient car. But I can choose to ride my bike to commute when possible. I can decide to drive a more fuel efficient car. I can write or call my officials about making more bike lanes and improving public transportation. What if more and more united in an effort regardless of political views. There could be a change.

16. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Hint, rice ISN'T the major export product of North Korea. North Korea is economically isolated and poses little danger to the region IF UN trade limitations are enforced. North Korea has fallen on very hard economic times, including a decade of famine. They are no threat.

Oh yes, I have seen plenty of (s)Kerry-(h)E(a)dwards bumoer stickers on SUVs. Odd.

And my VW tdi will smoke your Prius. Literally.

17. RC2

RC2 New Member

Thank you for that good laugh!!! :D

18. Bikesoiler

Bikesoiler New Member

I agree with you on the hidden costs, ie blood, death & destruction. I was only trying to expand on the costs not often thought about in motor transport. Even if your fuel cost is equal to, for example, a train fare for the same journey, you are still paying more $ per mile/km for transport by driving.

If more driving commuters thought about it in total $ terms they might choose another way to work/school etc.

By the way I don't drive, own or want an SUV. I bike to work or can use trains/trams if I wish.

19. LottomagicZ4941

LottomagicZ4941 New Member

I had one co-worker who use to take her bike to work.

Except when I lived and worked on my dads farm was I close enough to bike to work.

My dad use to get annoyed when I would take the bike to do the irrigation instead of the pick up. And sometimes I would bike out and not have a shovel when needed. However it is not like he was paying me by the hour.

It would be nice to be close enough to work to bike. Oh well not going to happen anytime soon but perhpas I can at least get a hybird as the next car.

20. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I bike to lose weight, stay fit, and save on gas. Here in Chicago as of March 12, 2005 gas is around $2.30 for 87 octane in the city. $2.09 in the suburbs.

We should all save gas because the world has about 40 years left for the worlds oil supply. Well - that's what my brother told me when he knew all about gas when working at an oil refinery.

I have two bikes with panniers that I use to go shopping with. Like today I did 4.7 miles going shopping and saved $.51 Plus I didn't have to fish for parking or pay parking meters. And sometimes traffic on the weekends in the city of Chicago can be bad in some areas. It is actually faster to go by bike. And some places are hard to get parking - so I go by bike unless it's really bad weather.

The next car I get will either be a hybrid or really fuel efficient.

For the numbers - biking 1 mile versus using a car with gas at $2.15 per gallon and using a car that gets 20 mpg saves you 10.75 cents per mile.