Why Speedplays?

pakicyclist

Jul 5, 2006
Hey I was looking into getting new pedals, but am confused. Why get speedplays, i thought it was about a bigger surface area right? what makes the Speedplay pedals so special.

pakicyclist said:
Hey I was looking into getting new pedals, but am confused. Why get speedplays, i thought it was about a bigger surface area right? what makes the Speedplay pedals so special.
Some people like the freedom of movement and find it nice on their knees. There was a time when Speedplays were quite a bit lighter than other pedals. This was partly due to Speedplays moving the retention mechanism from the pedal to the cleat and not counting the cleat in the pedal weight. Nowdays pedals like Keos have a similar total weight.

Theoretically, an ultra stiff soled shoe should make platform size irrelevant, but some people still complain about it. Maybe they are using flexy shoes. I don't know. I cannot tell the difference between Keos and Egg Beaters as far as platform size goes.

pakicyclist said:
They are exceedingly light. Have a good amount of float. Have a large amount of surface area in contact with te pedal. And have an excellent marketing department. Apart from light weight, they don't have any real advantages. A disadvantage is the cleat adaptor raises the stack height & weight.

bobbyOCR said:
They are exceedingly light.
Speedplay Ti pedals are about 155 - 160g (pedals) and 100 g (cleats) = 255 - 260.
Keo Carbon Ti are 190 + 70 = 260 grams.

Speedplay X-2 are 200 + 100 = 300
Keo Carbon's are 230 + 70 = 300

bobbyOCR said:
A disadvantage is the cleat adaptor raises the stack height & weight.
The chief disadvantage of Speedplays is that the cleat is extremely susceptible to fouling with dirt. You have to use cleat covers, and you have to regularly lube the cleats. With systems like Look and (yech!) Shimano you can screw them into your cranks, mount the cleats, and forget about them until you have to replace the cleats.

Bro Deal said:
Speedplay Ti pedals are about 155 - 160g (pedals) and 100 g (cleats) = 255 - 260.
Keo Carbon Ti are 190 + 70 = 260 grams.

Speedplay X-2 are 200 + 100 = 300
Keo Carbon's are 230 + 70 = 300

The chief disadvantage of Speedplays is that the cleat is extremely susceptible to fouling with dirt. You have to use cleat covers, and you have to regularly lube the cleats. With systems like Look and (yech!) Shimano you can screw them into your cranks, mount the cleats, and forget about them until you have to replace the cleats.
The reason why I said 'an excellent marketing department' is because of what I said. They are not that light (though with a change of butterfly to al theydrop some more weight) and the cleat system is something I wouldn't touch. I'll stay with KeOs.

pakicyclist said:
I've used the X2's for 4 seasons now and I love them. They offer a silky smooth release, a ton of float (which some like, but others don't. I do) and they are nice and light. I agree that if you have a shoe with a fllexible sole, you'll get hotspots, and the cleats require some care (I keep the covers in my pocket all the time), but they are my favorite that I've used.

bobbyOCR said:
The reason why I said 'an excellent marketing department' is because of what I said. They are not that light (though with a change of butterfly to al theydrop some more weight) and the cleat system is something I wouldn't touch. I'll stay with KeOs.
I agree and IMO, most speedplay people prefer them for 2 things: float and lightweight. There's a far third reason and that is cornering clearance. However good they are they also have their bad points (i agree with the cleats and that is one of them and price is another...). I dont think they are actually better in terms of all those points - float, lightweight, clearance - that I would exchange them over my KeOs.

hd reynolds said:
I agree and IMO, most speedplay people prefer them for 2 things: float and lightweight. There's a far third reason and that is cornering clearance. However good they are they also have their bad points (i agree with the cleats and that is one of them and price is another...). I dont think they are actually better in terms of all those points - float, lightweight, clearance - that I would exchange them over my KeOs.
I aggrevated a tendon in my knee and any repeated hard lateral movements gets pretty painful after a while. When I used Looks, I found that it's a hard outward snap to click out. With speedplay's, you simply rotate enough and step out. Very smooth. The Looks I'm refering to are old PP296. I can't speak for Keo's.

PeterF said:
I aggrevated a tendon in my knee and any repeated hard lateral movements gets pretty painful after a while. When I used Looks, I found that it's a hard outward snap to click out. With speedplay's, you simply rotate enough and step out. Very smooth. The Looks I'm refering to are old PP296. I can't speak for Keo's.
Yes 'tis common. Before speedplays became popular there were 2 pedal camps - those who use LOOKs and those who switched to TIME precisely because of the same reasons you cited.

Our team is sponsored by Speedplay and I didn't think I'd like them much. I was planning on staying with my Shimanos but the team manager gave me some cleats and pedals so I've been training with them since. They are much easier to get into. One thing I struggled with the Shimanos was getting into them quickly. The Speedplays are super easy to get into. I also feel I can sprint in them a little better. Not really sure why that is, but I feel I can pull up and be more efficient.

The float is a totally different story. I am not a fan of any float really. I'm going to try and get some Speedplay Zeros ASAP. I'll need 3 sets of them though...one for my madone, one for my TTX, and one for my T1:D

+1 on the "easy to get into". I've got X5's and they're a breeze. I like the float ... helps with my old knees!

graphixgeek said:
A lot of Speedplay users also like the fact that they are double sided...

This point is the main reason I use them as I ride in an urban area and the double sidedness makes entry a little bit easier for me than a single sided pedal (and I have tried some of the other brands).

rudycyclist said:
... I also feel I can sprint in them a little better. ....
I switched to Speedplays after pulling out of one too many SPD's in a sprint. I've ridden with Looks, SPDs, clips and straps, you name it, but I'm blown away by how easy Speedplays are to get into and then how solid they are in a sprint. I still have clips and double straps on my track bike, but would actually consider Speedplays there as well.

Bro Deal said:
The chief disadvantage of Speedplays is that the cleat is extremely susceptible to fouling with dirt.

???? I thought one of the chief advantages of Speedplays was that they were essentially self-cleaning. Or is that just the Frogs?

kleng said:
I would have a look at the Time RXS pedals as well as the speedplay and keo's.
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/rxspedals.shtml
Note the recall applicable to Time RXS Pedals dated 10/25/2005:

http://www.velonews.com/pr/prn/articles/11096.0.html

Press Release: Time announces pedal recall
By Time and USCPSC
This report filed October 25, 2006

Bicycle Pedals Recalled by Time Sport International Due to Fall Hazard

NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs
Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 25, 2006
Release #07-014

Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 240-8051
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Bicycle Pedals Recalled by Time Sport International Due to Fall Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Time RXS Titan Carbon, RXS Carbon, RXS and RXE Bicycle Pedals

Units: About 18,000

Distributor/Importer: TIME SPORT INTERNATIONAL/ATAC 2001 Inc., of
Montecito, Calif.

Hazard: The pedal's bearing cap can fail causing the pedal to come off the bicycle. This poses a fall hazard for riders.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received reports of eight incidents in which the pedal came off the bicycle, resulting in minor injuries.

Description: The recalled pedals are black or gray. They are made of composite material and are mounted to either a steel or titanium pedal axle and bearing unit by using a threaded aluminum bearing cap. Pedals that have a gold dot on the underside of the pedal body just inside where the bearing cap is mounted to the pedal body are not included in this recall.

Sold at: Bicycle stores, mail order, and online bicycle dealers nationwide from October 2004 through August 2006 for between $75 and $300.

Manufactured in: France

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled pedals immediately and
contact TIME SPORT INTERNATIONAL to arrange for the pedals to be
inspected and, if necessary, receive a free repair.

Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 240-8051
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
Consumer Contact: For more information, contact TIME SPORT INTERNATIONAL
at (800) 240-8051 anytime, or visit the firm's Web site at
www.TIMESPORTUSA.com

When everybody talks about the float that Speedplays have, how "slippery" is the float? Reason I ask is that I'm currently riding a set of Performance Forte Look-style pedals that have 9-degrees of float and although the cleat floats around like it's supposed to, it's not "slippery", per se. It's a nice snug fit that's effective, but doesn't lock my heel in place. With the Speedplays, is your shoe basically just held in place from unclipping from the pedal vertically, while allowing generous and non-inhibited movement side-to-side? Is it so slippery that you have to focus on keeping proper foot orientation?

Questions from one who's never ridden Speedplays, but has heard about them for years . . .

ryanspeer said:
When everybody talks about the float that Speedplays have, how "slippery" is the float? Reason I ask is that I'm currently riding a set of Performance Forte Look-style pedals that have 9-degrees of float and although the cleat floats around like it's supposed to, it's not "slippery", per se. It's a nice snug fit that's effective, but doesn't lock my heel in place. With the Speedplays, is your shoe basically just held in place from unclipping from the pedal vertically, while allowing generous and non-inhibited movement side-to-side? Is it so slippery that you have to focus on keeping proper foot orientation?

Questions from one who's never ridden Speedplays, but has heard about them for years . . .

The first time I rode Speedplays it felt a bit like walking on ice, but then my foot settled to its natural position and I do NOT have to think about keeping the foot in position. I have been riding Speedplay for 8 years and notice no "slipperyness" while riding.