Why the French REALLY Hate Lance

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by J Jones, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    Because he doesn't cry when he wins.

    Maybe Lance should've shed a few tears along the way toward 7 TdF victories,
    and the French would have embraced him.
    Jeff

    Tags:

  2. "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Because he doesn't cry when he wins.
    >
    > Maybe Lance should've shed a few tears along the way toward 7 TdF

    victories,
    > and the French would have embraced him.
    > Jeff

    Watch that first one again. In the ESPN interview after he won the prologue
    he was pretty choked up... he apologized for being unable to complete his
    sentences. Of course the "hatred" started a little later.

  3. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    "Geraard Spergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Because he doesn't cry when he wins.
    >>
    >> Maybe Lance should've shed a few tears along the way toward 7 TdF

    > victories,
    >> and the French would have embraced him.
    >> Jeff
    >>

    > Watch that first one again. In the ESPN interview after he won the
    > prologue
    > he was pretty choked up... he apologized for being unable to complete his
    > sentences. Of course the "hatred" started a little later.

    Yes, that was before he became completely obsessed with crushing any and all
    TdF comers - after which, he showed little/no emotion, no remorse, just
    absolute focus on utter destruction of his rivals. That's a fairly
    "American way" (thank God), and one that doesn't resonate well with the
    French. But, look at his popularity in the US - he's a megastar because
    he's a winner. In France, he's hated because he's a winner.
    Jeff

  4. N. Silver

    N. Silver Guest

    Jeff Jones wrote:

    > Because he doesn't cry when he wins.

    > Maybe Lance should've shed a few tears along the way toward 7 TdF
    > victories, and the French would have embraced him.

    There was nothing Lance could have done
    to make the French embrace him.

    He is an unapologetic American with an
    American name, who lives in Texas, who
    rides bikes with the President, who, it
    seems, has good relationships with his
    children, who has a new girlfriend, who
    has made a lot of money, who has
    dominated their Tour for seven
    years, who, circumstantial evidence
    aside, has never failed one of their
    drug tests, despite their best efforts
    to disgrace him, who has retired and
    seems at peace with himself.

  5. J Jones wrote:

    > Yes, that was before he became completely obsessed with crushing any and all
    > TdF comers - after which, he showed little/no emotion, no remorse, just
    > absolute focus on utter destruction of his rivals. That's a fairly
    > "American way" (thank God), and one that doesn't resonate well with the
    > French. But, look at his popularity in the US - he's a megastar because
    > he's a winner. In France, he's hated because he's a winner.
    > Jeff

    What a strange way to view the world!
    In fact, my understanding is that some disdained Anquetil because he
    would calibrate his effort just enough to win, as opposed to Poulidor
    who would routinely split his guts in vain.
    Nor do I recall a particular hatred of the French for Merckx, who
    certainly could have had that same focus as Lance--and then some.
    As for the "utter destruction of his rivals...a fairly 'American way'
    (thank God)"--I think you're capturing rather well the image many have
    for our country abroad. No, I won't thank God.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  6. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >J Jones wrote:
    >>>

    >> Yes, that was before he became completely obsessed with crushing any and
    >> all TdF comers - after which, he showed little/no emotion, no remorse,
    >> just absolute focus on utter destruction of his rivals. That's a fairly
    >> "American way" (thank God), and one that doesn't resonate well with the
    >> French. But, look at his popularity in the US - he's a megastar because
    >> he's a winner. In France, he's hated because he's a winner.
    >> Jeff

    > What a strange way to view the world!
    > In fact, my understanding is that some disdained Anquetil because he would
    > calibrate his effort just enough to win, as opposed to Poulidor who would
    > routinely split his guts in vain.
    > Nor do I recall a particular hatred of the French for Merckx, who
    > certainly could have had that same focus as Lance--and then some.

    European guys, all. Lance is a "cocky American" who has laid waste to all
    the Euro-challengers. Of course, the French are going to hate him. I'll
    never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it wasn't
    for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII, who knows how the
    world may have turned out.

    > As for the "utter destruction of his rivals...a fairly 'American way'
    > (thank God)"--I think you're capturing rather well the image many have for
    > our country abroad. No, I won't thank God.

    Are you sure you don't live in France? Or, maybe you're from France? ;-)

    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001

  7. N. Silver

    N. Silver Guest

    J Jones wrote:

    > I'll never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it
    > wasn't for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII, who knows
    > how the world may have turned out.

    The French collaborated with the Germans.
    The majority of them may have wanted
    Germany to win the War.

  8. Bob Martin

    Bob Martin Guest

    in 483093 20050830 182953 "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >I'll never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it wasn't
    >for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII ...

    It's quite simple - attitudes like yours are why the French, and others, dislike you!
    (ABTW you had the 'assistance' of a few Russians, Brits, Canadians, Aussies,
    etc etc etc)

  9. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "N. Silver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >J Jones wrote:
    >
    >> I'll never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it
    >> wasn't for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII, who
    >> knows how the world may have turned out.

    > The French collaborated with the Germans.
    > The majority of them may have wanted
    > Germany to win the War.

    Who are these, "the French?" Certainly not the ones who took on the Germans
    at Bourg d'Oisans or the ones who helped one of our local senior citizens
    who was OSS in Paris, caught and tortured by the Gestapo. He escaped and
    was saved by 'the French" underground. But you're aware of all that.

  10. N. Silver

    N. Silver Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:

    >> The French collaborated with the Germans.
    >> The majority of them may have wanted
    >> Germany to win the War.

    > Who are these, "the French?"

    The puppet Vichy Governemnt, Marshal Petan, etc.

    > Certainly not the ones who took on the Germans at Bourg d'Oisans or the
    > ones who helped one of our local senior citizens who was OSS in Paris,
    > caught and tortured by the Gestapo. He escaped and was saved by 'the
    > French" underground. But you're aware of all that.

    More then a half century later, we are not going to
    settle this. However, note, I said the "majority may
    have wanted." Although not a historian, I can find
    evidence for that. We all should have the utmost
    respect for the French underground.

  11. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    "Bob Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > in 483093 20050830 182953 "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>"Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>I'll never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it
    >>wasn't
    >>for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII ...

    > It's quite simple - attitudes like yours are why the French, and others,
    > dislike you!

    That's fine if my 'attitude' pisses you off. I just know if my country's
    entire existence was saved by the blood and guts of some other nation, then
    I would make at least some effort to understand history, and would tend to
    be fairly appreciative of that nation.

    > (ABTW you had the 'assistance' of a few Russians, Brits, Canadians,
    > Aussies,
    > etc etc etc)

    I never said we didn't have assistance - that's stating the obvious. That
    doesn't change the fact that we were in charge of the operations. Why is it
    so difficult to accept that truth?
    Jeff

  12. J Jones wrote:

    > "Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>J Jones wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes, that was before he became completely obsessed with crushing any and
    >>>all TdF comers - after which, he showed little/no emotion, no remorse,
    >>>just absolute focus on utter destruction of his rivals. That's a fairly
    >>>"American way" (thank God), and one that doesn't resonate well with the
    >>>French. But, look at his popularity in the US - he's a megastar because
    >>>he's a winner. In France, he's hated because he's a winner.
    >>>Jeff

    >>What a strange way to view the world!
    >>In fact, my understanding is that some disdained Anquetil because he would
    >>calibrate his effort just enough to win, as opposed to Poulidor who would
    >>routinely split his guts in vain.
    >>Nor do I recall a particular hatred of the French for Merckx, who
    >>certainly could have had that same focus as Lance--and then some.

    > European guys, all. Lance is a "cocky American" who has laid waste to all
    > the Euro-challengers.

    Who said anything about waste?

    Of course, the French are going to hate him. I'll
    > never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it wasn't
    > for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII, who knows how the
    > world may have turned out.
    >

    >>As for the "utter destruction of his rivals...a fairly 'American way'
    >>(thank God)"--I think you're capturing rather well the image many have for
    >>our country abroad. No, I won't thank God.

    > Are you sure you don't live in France? Or, maybe you're from France? ;-)

    I like the French--sue me.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  13. J Jones wrote:

    > "Bob Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>in 483093 20050830 182953 "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>>I'll never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it
    >>>wasn't
    >>>for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII ...

    >>It's quite simple - attitudes like yours are why the French, and others,
    >>dislike you!

    > That's fine if my 'attitude' pisses you off. I just know if my country's
    > entire existence was saved by the blood and guts of some other nation, then
    > I would make at least some effort to understand history, and would tend to
    > be fairly appreciative of that nation.
    >

    >>(ABTW you had the 'assistance' of a few Russians, Brits, Canadians,
    >>Aussies,
    >>etc etc etc)

    > I never said we didn't have assistance - that's stating the obvious. That
    > doesn't change the fact that we were in charge of the operations.

    Wasn't that Al Haig's line?

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  14. N. Silver wrote:
    > J Jones wrote:
    >
    > > I'll never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it
    > > wasn't for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII, who knows
    > > how the world may have turned out.

    > The French collaborated with the Germans.
    > The majority of them may have wanted
    > Germany to win the War.

    http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=728841

  15. Bob Martin

    Bob Martin Guest

    in 483110 20050830 185739 "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Bob Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> in 483093 20050830 182953 "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>"Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>>I'll never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it
    >>>wasn't
    >>>for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII ...

    >> It's quite simple - attitudes like yours are why the French, and others,
    >> dislike you!

    >That's fine if my 'attitude' pisses you off. I just know if my country's
    >entire existence was saved by the blood and guts of some other nation, then
    >I would make at least some effort to understand history, and would tend to
    >be fairly appreciative of that nation.

    It didn't piss me off at all - I was merely pointing out what seems obvious to
    most people. And it wasn't one other nation - it was many. All but yours are happy
    in the knowledge that they did what they could, they don't expect (demand?) eternal
    thank-you's.

    >> (ABTW you had the 'assistance' of a few Russians, Brits, Canadians,
    >> Aussies,
    >> etc etc etc)

    >I never said we didn't have assistance - that's stating the obvious. That
    >doesn't change the fact that we were in charge of the operations. Why is it
    >so difficult to accept that truth?

    When I said you had assistance I was being sarcastic. Russia was the major
    factor in the defeat of Germany. And you weren't "in charge" - it was an alliance.
    Sorry, but you do have an approach to this (60-year-old) subject which can get
    up other peoples' noses!

  16. V-Mook

    V-Mook Guest

    Actually, it's because he didn't have an "epic struggle" a la Anquetil
    v. Poulidor or Hinault when he got thrashed by Fignon in '84. (See,
    they don't even embrace their own super-champions until they show
    vulnerabilities).

    If LA wanted to win the adoration of the French he should sit out for 2
    years and then come back and win the thing by 11 seconds after crashing
    twice and getting thrashed on the Tourmalet by a phalanx of Spanish
    climbers.

    Or, he can just stay retired and keep telling people how he never
    doped. What a life.

  17. J Jones wrote:

    > > It's quite simple - attitudes like yours are why the French, and others,
    > > dislike you!

    > That's fine if my 'attitude' pisses you off. I just know if my country's
    > entire existence was saved by the blood and guts of some other nation, then
    > I would make at least some effort to understand history, and would tend to
    > be fairly appreciative of that nation.

    Dear Xenophobic Dumbass,

    "Lafayette, we are here."

    Some French Navy at Yorktown links for you:

    http://www.kidport.com/RefLib/UsaHistory/AmericanRevolution/YorktownBattle.htm

    http://www.xenophongroup.com/mcjoynt/capes_2.htm

    http://www.patriotresource.com/battles/yorktown/page4.html

    http://darter.ocps.net/classroom/revolution/ytown.htm

    You're welcome,

    Ben

    p.s. Irony of fate.

  18. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Hey - Steve - the French PRESS loves the losers. The French people are
    much like Americans and are often steered astray by a press gone power
    mad.

    Dan Rather anyone?

  19. benjo maso

    benjo maso Guest

    "N. Silver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >
    >>> The French collaborated with the Germans.
    >>> The majority of them may have wanted
    >>> Germany to win the War.

    >> Who are these, "the French?"

    > The puppet Vichy Governemnt, Marshal Petan, etc.

    I'm afraid there might be some small gaps in your knowledge of French
    history.

    Benjo

  20. J Jones a écrit :
    > I never said we didn't have assistance - that's stating the obvious. That
    > doesn't change the fact that we were in charge of the operations. Why is it
    > so difficult to accept that truth?
    > Jeff

    Let us remember all the GI's fallen in Stalingrad, shall we ?