Why the Lance obsession on this fourm ?

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Why is everyone on this forum obsessed with Lance and the Tour de France ? I'm not sure if any of you saw the Giro but the second to last stage to Sestriere had to be one of the most amazing stages I have ever seen. To see Gilberto Simoni and Danilo Di Luca put down the hammer to that anonymous bloke from Discovery was great. I have never watched 3 hours of cycling and been enthralled by every minute of it. Watching all of the hand signals the conversations between the riders gave a great insight into the sport. Three things to stick in my mind was 1. Salvodelli frantically waving at the team car down the mountain to bring some water 2. Simoni chatting to Di Luca and giving him the elbow wave every time he needed him to come through and take a turn 3. The Lampre team car pulling along side Di Luca and giving him some water for all of his hard efforts in pulling Simoni up the mountain.

You just don’t see good racing like this in the Tour because the peleton has too much control from the bigger teams (namely Discovery/USPS) and a lot of riders could learn from Simoni and Di Luca for putting their GC places on the line in a chance to ride for overall victory. Simoni and Di Luca rode for over 40km on their own at a outside chance of winning the Giro in contrast to Armstrong who rode only 15km on the front for the entire Tour in 2004. Now can you see the difference between good racing and bad racing ? I just hope that this year that the others try and ride to win rather than protecting GC. (Jen's Voight you have been warned ride for Discovery again and your nation will disown you !) (also remember us Europeans have a romance with the sport and we like a leaders and winners to lead from the front and show themselves and true fighters and winners. Not to hide in the pack to ride the last 5km on your own.)

So stop the threads about 'Will Lance win the tour' and take a look around you as there is some great racing going on and you are all missing it with your obsessions about one man. Remember in Belgium and Holland no one in bike racing really cares about Lance or the Tour as the one day races mean more to them.

Here's to some good racing in 2005 and positive discussions not the boring repetitive mundane cra* we have been seeing and hearing on these pages. Come on !

WBT out.

whiteboytrash said:
Why is everyone on this forum obsessed with Lance and the Tour de France ?
The real question is why are you so obsessed? 12 out of your 16 total posts are about Lance Armstrong and/or the Tour de France.

FYI: Currently, there are only 2 recent thead titles that mention Lance, and one of those is yours.

Answer the question and refrain from attacking me.... again you missed the point of the thread. Next person respond seriously please.

PS thanks for doing an audit on my posts. Makes me feel wanted.

Maybe Belgium and Holland don't care about the Tour because they haven't had anyone good enough to win it for 25 years.

If memory serves me correct, a Discovery rider won the Giro. Who put the hammer down on who?

Lance draws a lot of attention because he, more than any individual rider in the last 10 years, has changed professional cycling, and has given cycling the greatest exposure to the public. That is worthy of discussion.

whiteboytrash said:
Who is fatter; Ullrich or Armstrong ?
Armstrong has just pulled out of the Paris-Nice... did anyone see photos of him ? There is no way he is as fit as he has been in previous years.... he looks very chunky.... why was he asking for Ullrich's photo to be sent to the team training camp when he is bigger around the waist then Ullrich..... ? Lance has spent to much time at the Oscar's and the Grammy's.... whats his story.... ?

Re: Team Discovery riders
...you can also check the McDonalds and KFC websites for updates and it seems Lance has spent a lot of time over the winter there..... have you seen how fat he is..... geeezzzzz.........

Re: Lance in Paris Nice?
If you saw him on the Eurosport coverage he is not in any shape at all ! I'm not kidding... he don't look good... he is not as lean as he used to be and he has caught Ullrich's disease... he has a waist line !..... of course he has plenty of time to get himself right but he has always prided himself on planning for the TDF.... lance fans watch-out !

Re: Usa Usa Usa!
From all the European press I read the sport seems very very popular.... oh sorry I forgot this is lancearmstrongcyclingforums.com..... does everything on these forums have to have an American slant ? Geeez.... lets open up the conversation outside Lance and if they are showing the Tour on TV in the US......

Re: Ever been to France to watch The Tour live? Advice needed.
You will met some very interesting people not to mention some brain dead Lance fans who may spoil it (just ignore them)...) Enjoy ! and remember for the French the sport is about celebrating the countryside, the land, their country and culture not just about cheering the riders on… respect this and you will be fine… a few words of French go a long way...... its not America and it doesn’t have to be…. The French are just as proud of their country and ways as the Americans are….. I shouldn’t have to write this but when you go you will see why….

Re: Has anyone seen this ? Has Ullrich been bodybuilding ?
Looking a lot better than Armstrong the pie man ! 'Who ate all the pies' !

Re: Dauphine: time to throw down
Armstrong is not in very good form this year so expect some others putting on a show.... Mayo will be more restrained this year and Basso did not race last year and is not entered this year. It is a French race so you will see less of the Italians in the peleton. If anyone had a chance to see the Giro when Basso was on song was to see his attacks. They looked remarkably like Armstrong style of attacks in 2000. They were so fast and powerful and no one could keep up ! Look out in July, coming to a mountain near you !
Are you really saying that you aren't obsessed with Lance Armstrong?

The knife cut deep did it not Scotty_Dog ? (thanks again for the audit I'm glad you spent so much time in doing it !)

whiteboytrash said:
The knife cut deep did it not Scotty_Dog ? (thanks again for the audit I'm glad you spent so much time in doing it !)
No wounds here, Trash. Just pointing out the obvious to those less informed of your true intentions.

Obsessions about Lance can be both positive or negative. Now carry on with your obsession..........

....and you carry on with your obsession which now appears to be me ! (I'm sure there are other forums which cater for this type of fetish)

Haha I will be happily the exeption as dutch guy. But it is true that Holland and Belgium like the classics more......ever asked why? Because we have contenders....with Boogerd, Dekker, Boonen........when it comes to the tour the dutch press always bashes on rabobank for not winning a stage. That's why we are happy that FINALLY we have a future star in T. Dekker. It may be early, but the dutch press is on to him like he is a new armstrong or something. The press even suggested that he would win the giro..........that is just too fast but in a few years he can do it.

So where were you on my thread about the tour of belgium...........weird that you didn't post anything. Oke and start a thread of the tour of luxembourg and TTT in eindhoven..........instead of the whining! Inform the forum yourself then!

whiteboytrash said:
Why is everyone on this forum obsessed with Lance and the Tour de France ? I'm not sure if any of you saw the Giro but the second to last stage to Sestriere had to be one of the most amazing stages I have ever seen. To see Gilberto Simoni and Danilo Di Luca put down the hammer to that anonymous bloke from Discovery was great. I have never watched 3 hours of cycling and been enthralled by every minute of it. Watching all of the hand signals the conversations between the riders gave a great insight into the sport. Three things to stick in my mind was 1. Salvodelli frantically waving at the team car down the mountain to bring some water 2. Simoni chatting to Di Luca and giving him the elbow wave every time he needed him to come through and take a turn 3. The Lampre team car pulling along side Di Luca and giving him some water for all of his hard efforts in pulling Simoni up the mountain.

You just don’t see good racing like this in the Tour because the peleton has too much control from the bigger teams (namely Discovery/USPS) and a lot of riders could learn from Simoni and Di Luca for putting their GC places on the line in a chance to ride for overall victory. Simoni and Di Luca rode for over 40km on their own at a outside chance of winning the Giro in contrast to Armstrong who rode only 15km on the front for the entire Tour in 2004. Now can you see the difference between good racing and bad racing ? I just hope that this year that the others try and ride to win rather than protecting GC. (Jen's Voight you have been warned ride for Discovery again and your nation will disown you !) (also remember us Europeans have a romance with the sport and we like a leaders and winners to lead from the front and show themselves and true fighters and winners. Not to hide in the pack to ride the last 5km on your own.)

So stop the threads about 'Will Lance win the tour' and take a look around you as there is some great racing going on and you are all missing it with your obsessions about one man. Remember in Belgium and Holland no one in bike racing really cares about Lance or the Tour as the one day races mean more to them.

Here's to some good racing in 2005 and positive discussions not the boring repetitive mundane cra* we have been seeing and hearing on these pages. Come on !

WBT out.

MJtje said:
Haha I will be happily the exeption as dutch guy. But it is true that Holland and Belgium like the classics more......ever asked why? Because we have contenders....with Boogerd, Dekker, Boonen........when it comes to the tour the dutch press always bashes on rabobank for not winning a stage. That's why we are happy that FINALLY we have a future star in T. Dekker. It may be early, but the dutch press is on to him like he is a new armstrong or something. The press even suggested that he would win the giro..........that is just too fast but in a few years he can do it.

So where were you on my thread about the tour of belgium...........weird that you didn't post anything. Oke and start a thread of the tour of luxembourg and TTT in eindhoven..........instead of the whining! Inform the forum yourself then!
I'll take that ! Agreed I should be out there posting replies on those threads mentioned above ! I only got to watch one stage of the Tour of Belgium... would of watch more but the commentary was fairly dire... its hard to get good commentary for cycling.... I’ll be watching the other races if shown on EuroSport……….. thanks for the post and point taken !

:)

So on which channel did you watch tour of belgium.......only one I know of is Sporza! You live in belgium?

whiteboytrash said:
I'll take that ! Agreed I should be out there posting replies on those threads mentioned above ! I only got to watch one stage of the Tour of Belgium... would of watch more but the commentary was fairly dire... its hard to get good commentary for cycling.... I’ll be watching the other races if shown on EuroSport……….. thanks for the post and point taken !

:)

MJtje said:
So on which channel did you watch tour of belgium.......only one I know of is Sporza! You live in belgium?
I live in London UK and it was shown on EuroSport..... only one hour highlights..... :)

whiteboytrash...You are so immature.

Next, I will see at my computer forum a thread with the title, "Why the AMD/INTEL obsession on this fourm[sic]?" Get over yourself and get out. You are just a stupid forum troll.

FastFly said:
whiteboytrash...You are so immature.

Next, I will see at my computer forum a thread with the title, "Why the AMD/INTEL obsession on this fourm[sic]?" Get over yourself and get out. You are just a stupid forum troll.
Woop woop yeah lets get him... anyone hear who doesn’t agree with the rest of us get 'em out... come on guys.... and if we haven’t got a good reason then lets just make something up.... um... like um.... um.... WMD ! Yeah that will do it !

Nothing to see here move along.... give me informed intelligent discussion or ….. pleeezzzeeee…… next…..

(When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think that
sardines will be thrown into the sea")

whiteboytrash said:
Woop woop yeah lets get him... anyone hear who doesn’t agree with the rest of us get 'em out... come on guys.... and if we haven’t got a good reason then lets just make something up.... um... like um.... um.... WMD ! Yeah that will do it !
You are not presenting something that does not agree with the rest of us....your a troll.

You must not assume anyways, who says I like Lance?

It's true that there is a disproportional amount of attention for Armstrong. The Giro is more exciting, because it's not completely in control by one team. On the other hand, I admit that Savoldelli couldn't win the Tour.

There's a general tendency in the popular media to put too much focus on one major star: golf is only Tiger Woods, women's track and field is only Marion Jones etc. I regret that: when Marion Jones finishes fifth, her fifth place is more important than the other's first. You will see the same with Armstrong when he loses the Tour this year: the camera will stay with him, even if he's twenty minutes behind.

pantani_lives said:
It's true that there is a disproportional amount of attention for Armstrong. The Giro is more exciting, because it's not completely in control by one team. On the other hand, I admit that Savoldelli couldn't win the Tour.

There's a general tendency in the popular media to put too much focus on one major star: golf is only Tiger Woods, women's track and field is only Marion Jones etc. I regret that: when Marion Jones finishes fifth, her fifth place is more important than the other's first. You will see the same with Armstrong when he loses the Tour this year: the camera will stay with him, even if he's twenty minutes behind.
.......Marion Jones is carrying more 'gear' than a Columbian Cargo train so her results will be questioned along with Tyler Hamilton, anyone associated with BALCO and every baseballer who ever played the game since pumping iron was released (1978)..................

..agreed regardless of where LA finishes the press will be watching him and wanting comment..... if he is losing lets hope the peleton don’t fall victim to his 'I'm the boss' tactics and open up the race...... (remember his comments after l’Aple d’Huez 2003 when he criticised Beloki and Hamilton for attacking him after Mayo was up the road…..

That was the point I was making.... the Giro was a great race to watch... my point kinda got diluted because my Armstrong rant and everyone's defense to it.....

whiteboytrash said:

WBT out.

Dude, are you for real? Why do you think we talk about Lance? Is it because another American put his mind to something and kicked everyone in Europe's ass at it? What's next, soccer? Maybe cricket?

...or maybe the classics ? :)

ds0709 said:
Dude, are you for real? Why do you think we talk about Lance? Is it because another American put his mind to something and kicked everyone in Europe's ass at it? What's next, soccer? Maybe cricket?