why the piepoli cover up?

vitamin s

Feb 21, 2007
why is piepoli's test not being made public? he already confessed to doping, and he was surely tested after his insane ride at hautacam. who is he paying to keep it from the media?

Confessing doesn't mean he actually tested positive. He could have passed that test. Guys who've doped still pass tests.

Did he actually confess or is that just speculation/interpretation from the reason as given by Saunier-Duval?

Trev_S said:
Confessing doesn't mean he actually tested positive. He could have passed that test. Guys who've doped still pass tests.
That could be actually the problem: he confessed (or has been said to confess) but still passed the test. As a tester would you like to shout out that to the world?

So what is the procedure as far as penalties go from the UCI if a guy confesses but doesn't test positive?

i wish i could find the other posts. from what i remember, l'equipe ran a story that piepoli confessed.

there was also a story that the drug manufacturers placed a molecule in the epo that ricco and his teammates are said to have used in order to detect epo use. apparently ricco and his teammates thought that the stuff they were on was undetectable.

i guess possible scenarios are that piepoli was using different drugs from ricco, but i doubt that. ill bet cobo, ricco and piepoli were all on the same stuff

another scenario is that the molecule test didnt work with piepoli and he caved because he thought it would work and he confessed.

another possibility is that someone at saunier duval is paying big bucks to make it seem as if there wasnt a team wide doping program and ricco and piepoli were isolated incidents.

Damsgaard, Diniz and other expert of blood doping have said that EPO test don't catch everyone.
If as alleged CERA test is similar to the precedent so Piepoli could be negative and probably a false negative.

poulidor said:
Damsgaard, Diniz and other expert of blood doping have said that EPO test don't catch everyone.
If as alleged CERA test is similar to the precedent so Piepoli could be negative and probably a false negative.
Interesting. I watched the Hautecam stage again last night. Its an eye opener. You could actually test Piepoli and Cobo positive just by facial expressions. They were doing it easy ! Compare them to Kohl and other on the same stage.

Problem now is that you get more for your money if you dope. With half of the field clean the gains from doping are larger.

In fact in Riccò's confession he also states that the test needs more work in that all ten of his controls during the tour should have come out positive. I am sure Piepoli will be given a suspension following his meeting with CONI, where I imagine he will formally confess as well.

Riccò has stated that he may not return to cycling citing a certain delusion with the hypocrisy of the environment. He did not ellaborate further but says he takes all responsibility for using the substance himself. He used it before the tour. He regrets the damage he caused to his teammates. As well he should because those boys are without a job now.

Trev_S said:

Did he actually confess or is that just speculation/interpretation from the reason as given by Saunier-Duval?

ilpirata said:
He regrets the damage he caused to his teammates. As well he should because those boys are without a job now.
But those boys would have cashed their checks if he did not get caught. A teammate has full knowledge of what is going on. And with what we know today, when a man enters cycling as a career, he knows what the agenda is. There are no innocent cyclists in the peleton today.
If he wants to be in a dope free enviroment, he needs to stay home and play t-ball with junior.
Unfortunatly, even with the anti-doping movement going on in cycling right now, a cyclist entering the ranks must asume that in order to win, he will be faced with his team leader at some point doping.

The sport is at a crossroads. If it continues to allow politics to dominate the anti-doping crusade, then the sport as we know it will self-destruct. Decisions must be made soon by the sports governing body in unison across international borders.
Doping will never be eliminated. Science is far more advanced then some stupid Frenchman with a **** vial.

wolfix said:
But those boys would have cashed their checks if he did not get caught. A teammate has full knowledge of what is going on. And with what we know today, when a man enters cycling as a career, he knows what the agenda is. There are no innocent cyclists in the peleton today.
If he wants to be in a dope free enviroment, he needs to stay home and play t-ball with junior.
Unfortunatly, even with the anti-doping movement going on in cycling right now, a cyclist entering the ranks must asume that in order to win, he will be faced with his team leader at some point doping.

The sport is at a crossroads. If it continues to allow politics to dominate the anti-doping crusade, then the sport as we know it will self-destruct. Decisions must be made soon by the sports governing body in unison across international borders.
Doping will never be eliminated. Science is far more advanced then some stupid Frenchman with a **** vial.
Well stated

vitamin s said:
why is piepoli's test not being made public? he already confessed to doping, and he was surely tested after his insane ride at hautacam. who is he paying to keep it from the media?
Piepoli just today has denyed confessing to doping.

ilpirata said:
Leonardo Piepoli denies doping

By AFP
Italian cyclist Leonardo Piepoli said he had "denied everything" following his doping hearing with the Italian Olympic Committee (Coni) on Thursday.Piepoli was heard just a day after his former Saunier-Duval team-mate Ricardo Riccò, who admitted to using EPO. Riccò was kicked out of the Tour de France earlier this month after failing a dope test following the fourth stage time-trial. He was fired by Saunier-Duval, who also dismissed Piepoli, claiming he had violated their code of ethics.

But following his doping hearing, Piepoli said: "I had nothing important to say with regards the hearing. I denied everything. I was questioned only as a witness. I said what I had to say, nothing more, nothing less."

Piepoli was giving nothing away and refused even to answer journalists' questions about his relationship with Riccò, saying only: "Ask him."

Rolfrae said:
Piepoli was giving nothing away and refused even to answer journalists' questions about his relationship with Riccò, saying only: "Ask him."
Wow he refused to speak with journalists ? Thats a crime now correct ?

whiteboytrash said:
Wow he refused to speak with journalists ? Thats a crime now correct ?
Only the A sample said he refused to speak to them, the B sample might indicate he had a lengthy chat. We'll have to wait for those results.

I think once Peipoli heard that only 2 of Ricco's 10 samples came back positive, he realized he had a chance to escape.

kennf said:
I think once Peipoli heard that only 2 of Ricco's 10 samples came back positive, he realized he had a chance to escape.
Agree. He'll only admit to it publicly if he's tested positive. This way his palmares can appear untainted.

ilpirata said:

It will be fun to see how ASO handles the invites once Piepoli has found a new team (assuming CONI/WADA cannot stop him from racing now).

ETA:

earth_dweller said:
From what I remember, Piepolo confessed to the team DS not to any officials. And so far, no media has reported any failed tests for Piepoli.

Also, the drug maker denied that there was a marker in the EPO: http://velonews.com/article/80701

QFT

There was most certainly no special marker added to Micera. This must have been a misstatement of a journalist or official with no understanding whatsoever of pharmacology.

What likely happened is that the producers of Micera shared their knowledge of the drug with the anti-doping agencies already during clinical trials of the drug (or possibly earlier). That means that WADA or whoever could go ahead and develop a test earlier than usual. There's no way the producers would ALTER the drug or ADD any other molecule to it for the purpose of drug testing, because they would then have to go through a whole new series of very costly clinical trials once more. No FDA in the world would otherwise allow the altered drug to hit the market.

wolfix said:

They don't all dope. Period.