Why Treks are Fredly

On 10 Jan 2006 14:44:34 -0800, "Andrew F Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If Trek was going to pump up Hincapie as the next big thing - you can
>bet they'd put real R&D into a Paris-Roubaix bike and market it to the
>masses. Too bad the masses don't care about PR.

I got as much mass as anyone and P-R is one of my favorites..

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Do you suppose all these mechanical geniuses will notice that the large
drop outs aren't on that model? And they on on this year's model? I
wonder if any of the Sherlock Holmeses of the group will be able to
figure that out.

jerry in vermont wrote:
> Donald Munro wrote:
> > Andrew F Martin wrote:
> >
> > > The reason I think the frame is ugly is that it's mixing styles. The
> > > front end is round and smooth 5500 style tubing. The rear seat stay
> > > is angular and sharp. Aesthetically, it just isn't doing it for me.
> > > I'm sure it's wonderful for gliding over the cobbles, but I'm with
> > > Jerry in that it's one ugly-ass bike.

> > Who cares as long it rides well.
> >
> > You must both be a bit gay if you get all worked up about how a bike
> > looks.
> >
> > Not that there's anything wrong with that of course.

> I just dont understand how a HUGE company like TREK can go ahead and
> use big ass panier dropouts on a bike built for a pro tour team, with a
> podium contendor for the race it is meant for! They spend an HOUR
> doing QC on each team bike, but they HAD to use some big ass dinner
> plate dropout? ****, grind the extra metal off. Something. Whats
> wrong with the regular dropouts that the other team bikes use?

Yo,

You might be missing something. That dropout looks like it is made of
*Fibrous Composite*--not metal. It has a metal insert in way of the
QR. Composites are weak and sensitive to point loading--which is why
they have to be *thicker* and *wider* than metal parts.

You are welcome,

b.

> It just lacks attention to detail and is a big ass WORT on a high level
> bike.
>
> I am all down with the zert thing in there, thats cool. Whatever. I
> just think the dropout looks so out of place that any racing cyclist
> you roll up to is gonna do a double take and chuckle. Big George
> already has enough issues with self confidence. Dont dress him in
> ger-animals in front of his freinds already.
>
> J (wore ger-animals)

For some reason PR style races seemed to have caught on here in Seattle
(Harris-Roubaix in Canada, Rainier-Roubaix near Ft. Lewis, Ohop Trophy
somewhere south). If I actually enjoyed those crazy races, and I had
the means, I might be inclined to pick up such a bike - but I hate
riding in river-rock and calling it road racing.

I really don't like that fork either. The Bontrager *** or whatever
that comes on the Madones fits a lot better. I think part of the
problem is that pic is of a smallish frame and it just looks strange.

-a (will NEVER wear tall socks even though I'm 6'3")

It's no coincidence that TREK and FRED are nearly the same word.
TREK's are the embodiment of all that is Fredly.

I'd like to see some graphic designer photoshop a Trek pic into a Fred
pic, that'd be funny (have the frame prominently say Fred in the same
typeface).

-RJ, no photoshop skills

I have ridden Trek since 1986. Started with a 560 and now am riding a 5200.
As my grandpa used to say "its not the arrow, its the indian." There is
nothing wrong with riding a Trek. Get over it.

You dont slow down because you get old, you get old because you slow down.

news:[email protected]...